NOD32 slows folder browsing and open file dialogue boxes

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ykaeric, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ykaeric

ykaeric Registered Member

Hi - noobie here. I'm trying to get NOD32 sorted out to run optimally on my PC.

I've followed all the instructions from Blackspear on setting up NOD32 and configuring it, but I'm still having one major issue that manifests itself in a few similar areas.

1) whenever I browse folders I have a significant delay in changing between folders
    2) whenever I use the open file option from a microsoft office application (or attach file in Outlook) I also get significant delays. Worse, when I use the drop down arrow in the Look In drop down box to select a specific folder my Outlook basically freezes.
    3) whenever I open Microsoft Office Picture Manager (i know better apps exist but it does what i need it to) I have a very long lag time in opening and in moving between folders

I've already taken the step of Excluding 'My Documents' folder in AMON (NOD32 > AMON > Setup > Exclusions > Add Folder) - this has helped a bit when using explorer to navigate through my folders. But has done nothing to alleviate the other two issues.

I had this problem with the trial version. I paid for a license to upgrade to the full version to see if that would resolve my issue - it hasn't.

I've diligently researched this topic on these boards and have found nothing that helps. This computer is new (Toshiba Tecra A6 Laptop, 1GB RAM, 1.83 GHz dual core cpu, 80GB HD - HD is no fragmented). It came with McAfee. I've unistalled McAfee (using both Add/Rmove Programs and the McAfee Removal Tool (VSCleanUpTool). I've done a complete install, uninstall, and reinstall of NOD32 and am still having this problem.

I am using PREVX1 alongside NOD32. When NOD32 is disabled (or uninstaled) I don't have these problems. It's only with NOD32 that these problems manifest themselves.

I'd really like to see NOD32 work - I love the footprint and minimal use of system resources. I'm evaluating it for our small business. But the hang/delay in opening files, browsing, and not being able to use the Look In drop down box is a deal killer.

Thanks advance for all your help!

Eric

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

1. try disabling DMON. AMON will still scan the files you access or open.

2. try disabling Advanced heuristics and Runtime packers in the AMON setup for a while, just to see if it makes a difference.

3. ykaeric

I just did both - no difference. Still slow to insert attachment in outlook and froze outlook completely when in the insert file I selected the drop down arrow for the Look In drop down box.

Same problem when using the open file dialogue box in excel and word. Slow to navigate and freezes when using the drop down box.

4. ykaeric

Excuse me - didn't quite finish there.

It's also still slow browsing with Explorer and Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Not really certain, but I smell a DEP issue related to Windows Explorer when some Toshiba CD/DVD hardware is installed. A Microsoft Update that was meant to correct Explorer crashing when some Office files or Folders were opened should have solved the issue. Just a wild guess. o_O

6. ykaeric

I would normally agree and there is a small chance that is happening here. I've used msconfig to disable most of the Toshiba applications (I'm not quite sure i'm ready to fully uninstall them yet). Of the 12 or so Toshiba apps that used to run, only 2 still remain (three processes) - one to protect the hard drive from bumps and drops (vibration). The other enables mobile extensions (I believe some of the specific function keys).

The three running processes are:
    ThpSrv.exe (SYTEM)
    ThpSrv.exe (My Name)
    TMESRV31.exe (SYSTEM)

If someone knows enough about Toshiba to let me know its ok to disable (and uninstall) these and the other apps i'll do it.

7. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Sorry I could not be of much help: The issue I was refering to has something to do with ContextMenuHandlers and some solutions involve using a ShellviewExtension (small application) to try to isolate the problem. If possible you may 'google' a bit and perhaps may find something very close to what you described.

Good Luck :D

8. ykaeric

An update

I used NOD32 to run an in-depth analysis of my entire hard drive last night in the hopes that this scan might let NOD32 stop scanning files every time I open a file open dialogue box or use explorer. Alas, it didn't have that impact.

I'm still having the same three problems as originally listed. I've implemented the changes Marcos suggest and that hasn't helped either.

Can someone tell me if this is the way NOD32 is supposed to behave? Does everyone else suffer the same impact when opening files and browsing for files using explorer or a dialogue box?

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried uninstalling PREVX1?

Cheers :D

10. ykaeric

I've tried disabling (via msconfig) Prevx - I continued to have the same problems.

I like the protection provided by Prevx and would like to see these two programs be able to work together as part of a layered security approach to protecting my PC.

I will try completely uninstalling Prevx and see if that helps. Are there any specific requirements for uninstalling Prevx (beyond using add/remove programs) that I should be aware of?

Thanks

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Could you send an email to ESET's TechSupport
    support@eset.com
    with a link to this thread . They will probably send you a diagnostic tool .
    Tell us how to you then :)

Hope they can help ! :thumb:

12. ykaeric

Thanks for the advice - I sent an email and have provided them with a Hijack this log and a Belarc profile. I'll let you know if we solve this problem.

I did try an uninstall of both Prevx and NOD32 and then reinstalled NOD32 - same problem comes back again - arggh.

13. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Did the issue fail to occur when you uninstalled Nod32 and Prevx? This does not sound like normal behavior by any means, I run Nod32 on every system I do a cleanup on -some really slow systems and never noticed anything like this.

14. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Try disabling the toshiba services (rather than using msconfig) and let us know what happens.

I have seen an issue on the prevx boards (at castlecops) where context menu's slowed right down.

Also, try these suggestions....

http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819017

and finally...

Open My Computer
    Click on Tools menu
    Click on Folder Options
    Uncheck Automatically search for network folders and printers
    Click Apply
    Reboot your computer

15. ykaeric

Lollan - the problem disappeared when NOD32 was uninstalled. I'm fairly certain that Prevx isn't the issue - the problem goes when when NOD32 is uninstalled and PRevx is installed, and it goes away when they are both uninstalled.

PC-Support - I'll try this approach after I hear back from ESET support. I'm beginning to suspect something along those same lines. I don't understand why Toshiba bundles so many different apps that basically mimic what windows includes with XP (for instance a power management app for use when running on battery power). My primary reason for not uninstalling them to date is that I can't verify anywhere what they actually do and I don't have the time to risk requiring a full re-install of XP should uninstalling any one of them cause a major problem. I didn't do the initial install (our tech guy did) - if I had I would not have installed the Toshiba apps (unless no choice was given).

One quick question - you say to try disabling the Toshiba services but not with msconfig. How do you propose I do that? By simply ending the process from the task manager or via some other route? The Toshiba apps do not provide a disable option (that I've been able to find).

16. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Open up control panel, into administrative tools, then services.

Right-click on all services with toshiba in their name and choose properties, then set the startup type to 'disabled'

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't have information about these "services" . Do they run as a service in Windows or they are like a normal applications .

If they are like a services , goto Control Panel-> Administrative tools -> Services and make them to disable/manual

If they are like a regular applications -> then use msconfig to disable them and restart

18. ykaeric

Spent a lot of time troubleshooting this over the weekend and received lots of detailed support from the staff at ESET. Two thumbs up for all their help!

The ultimate resolution came down to a few things.

One - the issues with the 'Look In' drop down box in the Open File Dialogue, Attach File Dialogue, and Save File Dialogue boxes and seen when launching and browsing in Microsoft Office Picture Manager appears to be a Microsoft issue (go figure) having to do with network drives that are not currently connected (seen by laptop users moving between home and office environments where they have network drives in each environment). After disconnecting the network drives this issue disappeared.

Two - the slow browsing issue in windows explorer (not IE) and when using the main browsing pane in any Open, Attach, Save File dialogue box appears to be caused by having AMON set to scan all file types. To fix this issue go to AMON -> Setup -> Detection -> Extensions -- uncheck Scan All Files, a list of extensions will then populate, click OK. According to ESET only these extensions can currently run viruses and if new extensions appear that run viruses I will be receive an update to the extension list.

Again, thanks to ESET for the support, especially over the weekend. And thanks to everyone who helped out on these boards!

Eric

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thanks for letting us know . You are welcome ! :D

20. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

I am having a whole lot of trouble with Outlook. If I get a lot of emails (specially those with attachements) Outlook and sometimes the whole computer goes into an intermittent freeze mode. I finally found this thread and wanted to report my findings.

Another program that gives me a lot of grief is iTunes. There is a lot of data transfer within my USB external drive and NOD32 is scanning everything on real time which chops up the sound and truncates the data transfer or slows it down.

My solutions at this point were to shut off the EMON module completely after I download all my email, that would free up Outlook to work normally, but then when I had to Send/Receive I would have to turn it back on again.

For iTunes I tried to add the "My Music" folder to the exclude list and selected the exclude subfolders tag which will hopefully reduce the amount of interruption caused with every little change I make to my iTunes database and music files.

Now after reading this I will attempt to deselect the "scan all files" check mark as suggested but I will do it on the DMON module which seems to be the most problematic one right now. Then I will apply to others if necessary.
    I am crossing my fingers for I just purchased 3 licenses hoping that it was a "Demo version problem" lol (not a chance eh?).

Thank you. :oops:

21. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

I followed the indications highlighted above and NOD32 still seems to be causing the same problem. If I shut down the EMON module everything is back to normal.

I do not have problem browsing Windows Explorer or anything else. Just Outlook.

My latest gripe came this morning as I came in touch with my credit card company and ebay who alerted me of suspicious activity - my credit card number was stolen and used. My ebay password was changed.

The only thing that I can think has changed is NOD32 is my main line of realtime protection now since I switched from PC-Cillin.

Due to all my EMON problems I shut it down or disabled it temporarily to be able to type emails and get through the day without all the lag that NOD 32 is causing and possibly somewhere in between I downloaded an email with viral/phishing content.

Ever since I installed NOD32 it keeps warning me about a special threatening email that I keep receiving on a daily basis with a Title like "THIRD BANK _______" (I forget the full name). This emails contain attachments which NOD32 says are harmful. Thing is NOD32 does not delete them! They end up in my Bulk Folder.

I was under the impression that even if you turn off the EMON module, the AMON module should still pick up these threats... If that is not the case then I am pretty sure that those phishing emails probably stole some of my sensitive information (and no, I have never clicked on a suspicious email).

Any help, advice and other ideas you can share would be appreciated.

NOD32 is dropping the ball for me. Telephone support is hard to get a hold of. I don't want to go back to PC-Cillin, specially after dropping money on three NOD32 licenses.

Thanks.

22. Blackspear

Hi DJ BIS, could you please try the following to see if this helps:

Disable or Quit EMON from the NOD32 Control Centre.

Start Outlook, let it load all the way.

Check for email by click on "Send and Receive".

Restart EMON from the NOD32 Control Centre.

Check for email by click on "Send and Receive".

Let us know how you go...

23. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

I did it and it seems to be operating fine after I deleted some emails that had attachments and such. Thats the other noticeable trait, it seems that when there is a lot of data/pictures, etc attached or included within an email EMON just goes into overload mode. After I delete some of the bigger files things remain a little bit more stable.

Does that help at all.

As soon as I get another inbox-full of mail I will retry your last suggestion and give you a concrete answer.

Thank you!

24. DJ BIS

DJ BIS Registered Member

Finally got an inbox full of emails which created the usual problem. So followed your directions but it did not do anything. I am not exactly sure what you intended with the above instructions. The only way I can run without major slow downs is by keeping EMON completely off. No matter how many times I restart Outlook. Its the same everytime.

25. Blackspear

I was trying to see if loading Outlook fully and then starting EMON and having it load would resolve the situation, it hasn't.

I'll see if someone from Eset can suggest something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.