NOD32 scans from WinXP-SP2 FileExplorer

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dilbert_2, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dilbert_2

Dilbert_2 Registered Member

In WinXP FileExplorer if I right-click a directory, I can perform a scan with "Run NOD32 antivirus system". This is a very nice feature for checking items of specific and immediate interest.

(A) is this scan equivalent to "Run NOD32"?

I ask because I understand "Run NOD32" does a fast scan that does NOT use advanced heuristics, or check archives or runtime packers.

(B) Would this mean if I run a right-clicked FileExplorer "Run NOD32 antivirus system" on my recent downloads directory, it is NOT checking installation programs, RAR files packed video files such as WMV, etc?

--I just performed this operation on 6GB of 432 WMV video files on a DVD, I got an almost instant (less than half a second) response, and other than the memory check, it didn't look like it actually scanned anything. It said "Number of threats found = 0).
    --By contrast, performing an identical scan on my ESET program directory, which has only 34.2MB of 109 files, took one full second (and it looked like it was scanning, too).

So does this mean that the 6GB worth of WMV files were not scanned using this method?

Thanks much in advance. :)

Dilbert_2

2. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Check this post from Blackspears settings.

In the profile setup u can choose wich profile to use for scanning within the context menu.

3. Dilbert_2

Dilbert_2 Registered Member

Yes, the diagram in the link shows exactly the way I had it set up with the setting "NOD32" selected for the "Control Center Profile". (I didn't know before the Rt-click drop-down menu in FileExplorer was called, so thanks!).

You are implying that the standard "NOD32" does not check WAV, RAR, ZIP or any executable installation programs. This is what I specifically wanted to know about the "NOD32" setting. <=======

Apparently "In-depth analysis" is what I need to have selected here, vice "NOD32". I just tried it out on the same files, and it took 13 sec, which seems much more reasonable and what I would have been wanting to use all along for the Control Center Profile.

For "Maximum Security Settings" I am surprised that "NOD32" is the Blackspear's setting of choice, vice "In Depth Analysis", which includes important file types excluded from the "NOD32" setting -- particularly since one is usually aiming at a relatively small set of target files and the extra time involved is small.

Thank you, this was helpful. :)

Dilbert_2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.