nod32 scanning time

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

how long normaly would it take me to scan 50gb of data?

I like nod32 since trying it on my old pc but the thing is its once again yes you guessed it kaspersky vs nod32 the never ending argument.

basilcally i want stand alone antivirus and third party firewall such as nod32 and look "n" stop

btw i have read tons of reviews of nod32 and no bad ones so far.
    but for kaspersky i have read some bad things with it.==p

btw does nod32 update at weekends?

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

NOD32's preformance is very fast but how long is almost entirely dependant on your system - it's configuration and the type of data.

Previously I have posted some info on my scanning time -->HERE<--
    This was for something greater than 120GB of data (closer to 160GB I think) and included a netowrk share via Z: with around 15GB in it.

I would strongly suggest you download the 30 Day Evaluation version for your platform at test drive it since every individuals PC setup is different.

HTH :)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont know how long it would take, but in an on-demand scan i have no doubt nod32 would beat KAV in terms of speed.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since this is a comparison thread, it has been moved from the NOD support forum.

5. marcromero

marcromero Guest

On my laptop, I have a 40G hard drive with about 85,000 files, takes less than 14 minutes to scan mine and this is with NOD32 tweaked to the max for on demand scanning...

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it seems to me that people that use nod32 mainly seem to use the built in windows firewall is this because you think nod32 is good enough that so the firewall is not needed?

because people who use kasperaky and other anti virus software seem to use a firewall as well

7. NOD32 user

I don't rely on the windows firewall and don't recommend to people that they do - it has no outbound protection but it is in theory sufficient on a clean system with no junk applications....

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I don't use outbound filtering anymore. IMO if you need outbound filtering, you've got a PROBLEM :D . Besides, most outbound filters seem to be vulnerable for some sort of leak(test). Besides, I've got a router between my pc and the internet that does some NAT / SPI / stealthing functions.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Again, it counts on the specific system and the type of files on the system. On a system with a lot of packed files, KAV will be a lot slower and NOD32 as KAV has better packer support and a special unpack algorithm for each packer unlike NOD32 which can use its generic unpacker for a lot of packers.

NOD32 does not always update at weekends, but most of the time it does. ;)

And who said all NOD users use Windows Firewall? Quite a lot use separate firewalls like Look 'n' Stop and Outpost alongside NOD32.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not saying all but i have seen quite a few nod32 users in there sig nod32 anti threat system and windows firewall and separate antispyware.

if i got nod32 i probaly would use look "N" stop

11. WSFuser

whered u hear this? ive always used a third party firewall or none at all (during the win9x years).

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have been reading some of the people's sigs something like nod32 anti threat system windows firewall and e.g spysweeper

and some people post i have been using nod32 for two years and have had no viruses. and i only use the windows firewall

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

See my signature . I also use Windows Firewall and I don't need outgoing protection . If something malicious is trying to call home then NOD32 or Ad-Aware se Personal will kill it . The firewall is made to hide the PC and to protect it from intrusions

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good point but its better to be safe than sorry.

anti virus software is a hard choose kaspersky and nod32 and both great dectection rates and i think i wouild be happy with eiether

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi tech boy how long have you had nod32 and have you had any viruses or spyware in that time?

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I just ran a complete scan with KAV6. The time was 5 min-9sec. Those who say that KAV scans slowly are thinking of pre V6.
    KAV6 is lighter than NOD on my machine, and scans faster.

The first scan I did after installation of KAV6 took over 30 minutes. Subsequent scans take from 2 to 16 minutes using the option of scanning only new or changed files.
    NOD took slightly over 30 minutes on the same machine when I was trying it.

NOD is a superb AV. I believe anyone would be satisfied with it. However, if you do not trial KAV6 you will be missing a good bet. I trialed both a few months ago, and liked NOD so well I almost did not trial KAV6. But when I did I liked it better for no special reason. I do like the frequent updates of KAV, and the fast scan times.

Trial them both before you make a decision, and whichever one you choose I am sure you will be satisfied, and as safe as can be with your individual use and surfing habits. Both are top notch AVs. NOD is slightly less expensive, but Newegg has KAV6 on sale for $24.99, and that makes it less expensive than NOD.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681370459SF

Best,
    Jerry

17. WSFuser

so u dont care if non-malicious programs phone home? also nod32 doesnt care if malware phones home, it will just catch it based on definitions and heuristics.
    KAV's scan speed decreases dramatically as you add more files. on a clean installation of windows xp it took less than two minutes. after installing all my programs and UT2004, it took a whopping 3 hours.

i havent tried any subsequent scans tho. my installation is quite new and one scan is enough for now.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  18. Firecat

When I referred to KAV's scan speed as slower than NOD32, I was referring to KAV engine without the iSwift and iChecker technology. Since many people use KAV clones, they are unable to get the benefits of these two technologies which dramatically increase scan speed over time.

As such, after the first scan, all subsequent scans with KAV take very little time due to the iSwift and iChecker technology, provided that you have NTFS partitioning on your hard disk (this technology does not work very well with FAT32). :)

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Firecat,

I have F-Secure on my laptop (A KAV clone), and it is relatively slow in scanning. I have not timed it, but would estimate in excess of 30 minutes for a complete scan. I think is it slower than NOD.

Best,
    Jerry

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , because I know every single program that runs on my own computer . Only malicious programs are dangerous :D

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . I have been using NOD32 since March this year . I have never used non-Microsoft firewall on my computer . No , I have never had a single malware on my computer but to be honest , having no malware doesn't depend on the security softwares , it depends on me . I am extremely careful when surfing the net and when install/run programs :D :D :D

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    XPsp2 one is all I need....I only care about blocking inbound traffic from the internet..I want to hide my computer/networks behind it. Preferably a NAT router..but when on the road with my laptops..XPsp2 firewall does the job.

23. IBK

IBK AV Expert

in the May test report is also a scanning speed test ;) - i just tell it because maybe some peoples overlooked it.

24. NOD32 user

:)
    Thanks for reminding us :)

Cheers :)

25. Firecat

But in your results, it is a first time scan with KAV, due to which the times will be naturally longer, right?

In any case, KAV engine without iStreams and iChecker is noticeably slower than NOD32 for On-Demand Scans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.