NOD32 - Questions and Quibbles

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Beer Dog, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

Hi, I'm trialing NOD32 v2.51.28 with the latest virus defs. I am using it on a fresh install of XP/SP2 with no other AV software. I have set up NOD32 using Blackspear's guide with a few exceptions. (BTW, a big thumbs-up for that set-up guide!)

Questions:
    1) Is it possible to remove the NOD32 splash screen that appears when Windows boots?
    2) Is it possible to keep NOD32 from tagging every email that it scans? ("This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.")
    3) What is the difference between all the various system scans? There is a scheduled scan, an on-demand scan, a local scan, and an in-depth analysis scan. Don't they all do pretty much the same thing?
    4) If EMON is the MS Outlook email monitor, then what part of NOD32 is scanning my Outlook Express messages? Can I turn EMON off since I don't use Outlook? The status of my EMON is zero files scanned so I guess it's idle.
    5) Where can I send bug reports? I sent one here: http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php Does that work, or is there another link I should use?

Quibbles:
    1) Why no "About" button to find out what version I'm running? They make you hunt for it.
    2) It drives me crazy when GUIs don't remember your settings. For an item like the Scheduler/Planner, I like to stretch it the full width of my screen and open each header for easy reading. NOD32 will remember my preference for one boot only; after a reboot, I have to set it all up again. Annoying!

As one who is coming to Eset after years of Symantec use (and abuse!), I must say that I am generally happy with the program so far. It's certainly a learning curve to understand this complex AV utility, but I think it's worth it for the small footprint and advanced heuristics. Also, this support forum is a great place to come for answers and advice.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi i can anwser some of the question since i done some testing to disable splash screen click on nod32 system tools, then nod32 system setup, then click on setup and on the main tab click in the box do not show nod32 splash screen at start up

3. Beer Dog

Thanks, that works. :)

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thank you , and my pleasure.

See the above post.

Sure, EMON> Setup> Notifications and or IMON> Setup> Checked Email notifications.

Like a pizza, you can have various toppings according to your tastes. Same goes for various profiles.

IMON handles POP3. I’d leave EMON on, if you ever decide to us MS Outlook you won’t have to remember to turn it back on, and there isn’t a difference in system resources by doing so.

You can do that.

Everything you want or need can be found in the Control Centre.

Already noted in the wish list at the top of the forum.

Indeed it is.

Cheers :D

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

NP

im hopeing to be a nod32 user soon i have tryed it out on my old pc and its great

6. Beer Dog

Email tagging is gone. Thanks Blackspear. Will leave EMON alone for now.

Still unclear about the various scans, though. Can you make each one different by modifying its profile? So you could have a scan for all volumes, one for C:\ only, and one that's automatic (scheduled)? If so, then I think I understand the pizza analogy. But all the scans use nod32.exe, correct?

That's some wish list! It's going to take days to read all that.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

Correct, and correct.

Indeed, however there is a summary in the first post that is maintained.

Cheers :D

8. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Scheduled = scan at a certain time
    On-Demand ("Run NOD32")= scan now with manually entered settings allowing you to choose what to scan
    Local= scan local (not network) disks
    In-Depth= with all the unpacking, NTFS Alternate Data Stream, and other advanced scanning options selected (see picture)

http://www.fairyliquidizer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/depth.png

To see what others are scanning, start the scan running then hit STOP then look at the settings.

Hope this helps,
    Fairy

9. Beer Dog

Thanks for the further explanation. I'll have to go into each scan and play with the settings. My scheduled scan is already programmed with the Blackspear switches (without /wrap+ though).

Looks like you skinned your GUI. What skin are you using and where do you get them?

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

This is probably a silly question, but "disabling" the splash screen has no impact on load time (like speed it up, with the icon appearing in the sys tray sooner)......does it?

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try it. :D Not a whole lot of difference in load times in my experience.

12. Beer Dog

I haven't noticed my boot time being any faster since I disabled the splash screen. Speed wasn't the reason I disabled it, though; I just don't like splash screens. They seem like spam to me.

fairyliquidizer: I'm still curious about your NOD32 skin. Where can I get 'em?

13. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

There's a bunch of them here: http://skins.deviantart.com/windows/visualstyle/
    And it's not really a skin just for NOD32 - It's for everything :)

My favorite is Black Mesa, it looks something like this

Attached Files:

14. Beer Dog

Thankyou Brian, for the link. So these are Windows themes, not NOD skins. Installing them means all my GUIs will have that look, right?

15. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yes everything will change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.