NOD32 Not updating on Vista - Finally a FIX!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JustAnotherUser, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser Registered Member

Hi every one, some of you have probably been searching for the fix to the reason as to why NOD32 would install correctly but NOT update on Vista.
    (This may be the same for XP as well, but I have no way of testing it)

I had installed NOD32 after doing a fresh Vista install. So nothing, absolutely nothing was installed on the PC other than Vista and Office.
    I could connect to the internet and browse my homepage and Google, and that's as far as I wanted to go without putting on some Virus and Spyware protection.

Well, NOD32 is installed and it will not update. What can I do?
    I call support, very helpful and pleasant enough, but no solution other than, "There must be something wrong with this machine, or the machinbe install."
    Cough! Eh? Excuse me? This is a brand new install and I doubt that there is anything that I could have done that would be stopping it.

Hey well, I then try several things all to no avail.

I then decide to give up, put my other AV and Spyware removers on and then start installing apps.

I get down to installing Live Messenger... and what do you know... the same old problem that keeps cropping up...
    "We were unable to sign you into MSN Messenger, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your Internet connection. Please make sure that you are connected to the Internet. 81000306"

Well, how many of you have received this before? I have a few times, I do many different machine installs, including my own from time to time. Sigh. :(

Anyway, for those that don't know, the fix for this is as follows (well, in Vista it is anyway)
    Click start
    All Programs
    Accessories
    Right Click on Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator.
    Click Continue if you are running under UAC.
    Type in the following: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    Press enter
    Restart your computer

That will fix your Messenger install AND allow NOD32 to update.

I hope this helped everyone, as I was getting rather miffed with the fact that I had just bought 10 licenses and it looked like it wasn't going to install on the Vista Setups that I have, but now, everything is peachy, so to speak.

2. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Thank you for the tip:thumb:

And found more details:
    To solve the problem of correctly determining the value of the maximum receive window size for a connection based on the current conditions of the network, the Next Generation TCP/IP stack supports Receive Window Auto-Tuning.....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878127.aspx

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This deserves to be in the FAQ section ;)

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thanks for sharing JAU.

Added.

Cheers :D

5. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Good information, but I had the same a few times and after waiting a few minutes, the inetrnet connection came up itself! Believe it or not.
    Same with the removal of an AV program, using Regseeker, to really try to clean out the registry as well, sometimes my internet connection was gone and always did the following:

Winsock repair:

When Winsock corrupts, the networking errors that you may face include unable to surf the Internet with “Page cannot be displayed” error message in Internet Explorer or AOL even though the DSL/ADSL/cable Internet connection is connected. Sometimes, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is terminated as well.

To repair and reset the Windows Vista

Click on Start button.
    Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    Type " netsh winsock reset " in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    Restart the computer.

But the last time I just waited again for 5 minutes and all came up itself. Weird, but true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.