NOD32 locks up- Design issues- Thoughts

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blutarsky, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please try setting AMON to scan only files with default extensions instead of all files? The default extension set contains extansions of files that may potentially carry a malicious code.

2. Blutarsky

Blutarsky Registered Member

Marcos, in my case the lockup occurs accessing an Internet shortcut on a network offline folder, apart from accessing a damaged CD. My syster is experiencing troubles with it's workstation on well known office documents.....

Did you make a thought about the debug version?

3. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

If you check out the thread I started yesterday, I'm switching to a different AV program for a similar reason. NOD32 sometimes brings me to a crawl. Whether installing programs, starting programs, or finishing a download with Firefox, there are times where the computer is frozen for a few seconds.

There's one instance where I used my favorite uninstaller to monitor an install.
    The uninstaller program creates a temporary text that's sort of a current picture of my files and registry. NOD32 would analyze the second by second changes to that text file, and it turned what should have been a 45 second procedure into a several minute task.

As an antivirus security program, I think it's top of the line, but I currently find it to be too much of a CPU drag when it's performing at top level.

4. Marcos

That's why I'd need to know if setting AMON to scan files with default extensions (those that may potentially carry a dangerous code) makes a difference.

This could be a bug in your Office, a similar one that we had run into about 2 years ago. If disabling DMON helps, then I'd suggest you do so. AMON will scan office documents instead of DMON.

This could be die to IMON checking files you download. It may take up several seconds for Advanced heuristics to analyse a complexly runtime packed files. Perhaps in v3 we could add more levels for AH so that in advanced mode the user could choose between better detection and faster scanning time. Anyway, the best would be to provide us step-by-step instructions as how to reproduce the problems you mentioned.

5. Blutarsky

At the moment I'm running NOD With AMON working on "write" only. Same for my sister's PC, with DMON complitely disabled here.

Not happy about this configs. No point in having a product that needs disabled items to run smoothly.

It looks like there's no way to get a debuge/trace/log version, so I'm stopping it here: there's no point in keeping saying the same things; if Eset will fix the problem before november 2007 I'll go for a renewal, otherwise will switch to other product.

Good luck to the dev. team

6. Marcos

There's one question still being unaswered - does setting AMON to scan files with default extenstions instead of all files make a difference?

7. Blutarsky

Didn't try yet. If you wish I'll have a go.
    Anyhow still unanswered why locks up occurs in 3 different ways....(office documents, shortcut file on a network share and unreadable CD)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.