NOD32 Exchange AMON problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Piper1, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piper1

Piper1 Registered Member

Hi
    I hope someone can offer assistance re enabling AMON on SBS2003.

Installed clients okay and have 25 workstations updating from a mirror setup on server. (Thanks to those who advised not to use port 8081 on a SBS box)
    Side note - The install docs need updating to reflect this - very poor. Its a PDF, not a book that needs to be reprinted.

I've also installed NOD32 XMON on exchange, and excluded the complete Exchange folder tree in AMON.
    During the nightly backup using SBS2003 built in backup, exchange crashed. The backup failed and users were unable to access email the following morning. Event logs indicated a process was using exchange during the backup. Disabled AMON and rebooted. Email and backups now working.

I've been running with AMON disabled for several days and am ready to try again.

Questions
    1. Is it recommended to run AMON and XMON on the same box.
    2. Other than Exchange folders are there any other folders that should be excluded to avoid problems. (I also followed the MS recommendations on what folders to exclude)
    3. Anyone had similar issues with SBS they resolved.

Thanks for any advice.

David

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've quite a few SBS and vanilla server/exchange boxes, running AMON and XMON, I only exclude the two Exchange data directories in AMON.

There was one glitch with a program update, which did affect some Exchange boxes, a few weeks ago....a newer program update was released to fix that relatively quickly.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi David,
    It may be necessary to use both Long filenames and legacy 8.3 version filenames for all your exlusions to be complete. It depends on the application that is accessing or using the files and directories - which method it uses to specify the folder/file it's looking for. Basically the NOD32 exlusion list is EXPLICIT.
    Try this thread - it may shed some light on the topic for you.
    Exclusions LFN v. 8.3 format?
    HTH :)

4. Piper1

Piper1 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I re-enabled AMON and monitored Fridays backup. Thankfully the backup was successful and exchange is still functional.

I'm getting an error message that the IIS6 metabase.xml file in
    c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\ cannot be backed up as it is in use by another process. This folder was excluded from AMON in line with Microsoft recommendations. It should not be affected by the 8.3 format issue suggested by NOD32 User.

YeOldeStonecat - With your SBS installs do you exclude the above folder??

Again thanks for your time

Cheers
    David

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I have not.

6. Piper1

Piper1 Registered Member

Since my last post I've enabled and been forced to disable AMON twice due to it crashing exchange. Also I cannot get it to stop interfering with metabase.xml.

So for now AMON is off.

I will email ESET directly to see if they can resolve this.

Thanks

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just in case, make sure that you are using XMON 2.51.15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.