NOD32 Complete Failure

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by 6string, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Actually it is not in the slightest, you have come into this forum telling of a catastrophic failure without a single piece of evidence, nothing whatsoever. So what in fact was the point of starting a thread?

I am not the one that started a thread of such nature without a single piece of evidence or links to support such statements.

Well it is actually.

Please make such a request to an Admin.

No one has done this, period.

It was lowered the minute you made the thread without any links or supporting evidence. The analogy I made stands.

Blackspear.

2. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

The title should be edited since he has removed NOD32 and unwilling to share information.
    It's very misleading.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo op computer was already messed up & not locked down. But if op doesn't want to run back to norton. I suggest an AV just as good :rolleyes: , Mc*f**. :D

Very happy here with NOD32 rt & KAV od. :p

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

actually the OP didnt want to try nod32 again. meanwhile he/she did reinstall norton.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Lesson to be learnt there for anyone who has a problem they want answers to. You need to post as much evidence as possible to help people help you.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct, I have no issue with NOD32 failing at some point in time, it is software, it is made my humans and attacked by other humans who make Viruses, Trojans etc.

At some point in time NOD32 will probably be brought to the ground, it will happen, though Eset will do their utmost to keep this day at bay and should it happen they will get NOD32 back on its feet within minutes/hours. However, until that day let's at least provide links, evidence, something to go on, that the issue can be replicated and addressed.

Cheers :D

7. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

So, did you have potentially dangerous applications enabled? archived settings enabled? email enabled?

By default these settings are disabled and by the sounds of it you didnt do any fine tuning of the settings which would then leave you open to (potential) problems.

I would recommend giving NOD once last try with the setting from here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131758

NOTE - The Tutorial is designed for least user interaction as possible, so NOD32 sits in the background and does its job.

Try it and if you dont like it then we can all (virtually) shake hands and agree to disagree :)

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

We have been told by Eset employees on this forum that the default settings are more than adequate to protect our computers. But for the record I have followed the tutorial. Should it be stated by Eset that the default may not provide adequate protection? I can see where new users could be confused.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

It's going to be difficult to get to the bottom of this, as you have removed NOD32. I've installed hundreds of PCs with NOD32 and sold thousands of licenses - and this is the first horror story I've heard of... it would have been nice to get to root cause, which I suspect had something pre-existing on the PC - a resolution and/or investigation of the cause would have been nice...

oh well - good luck with your chosen solution.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My impression is that she got some nasty spywares, maight be drive by downloads etc from this site that caused all the system mess. Any AV can fail at any time especially in area of spywares( the reason u need an AS or HIPS of u are wandering here and there on internet). I don,t think any AV can protect u all the time if u go to risky sites, esp the one which install spywares.
    Also any softwatre can behave quite differently in some systems. However If I was in this case, I would have tried NOD again as any problems if there, can be fixed by any ways, in most cases.
    All this does not mean TOTAL FAILURE of any productm rather than one of isolted issues taht we do encounter.
    In my opinion, while googling if u go to a malware site, it,s not always must to remember the site.

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I wonder if he ran a registry cleaner sometime within that first week. The registry cleaner could have deleted the path to the quarantine folder, which could explain why the quarantine was empty when he went to go look at it. I guess we will never know.

12. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Sounds like it was some kind of dropper/downloader (which apparently was not detected by NOD32) running in the background since the malware kept "reappearing". And that might have explained why NOD32 seemed to not be able to clean the threats.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

So many people do not realize the importance of disconnecting from the Internet once infected and while cleaning. Many of the infestations only open you up to more while you are attempting to clean up the original. I have a Thumb drive and a CD with multiple programs on them which are installed only after the PC is disconnected from the Net. Then are run in safe mode. Hopefully removing at least a part of the infection. Then I reconnect and update them. This is actually my secondary method. My first is to pull the infected drive and either set it up as a slave in my Break Me PC or in an external drive then run my scans from the Break Me PC.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had NIS 2004 for a year and I didn't get infected with viruses (a lot of spyware was getting through though). I've had Nod32 for a year, and although it is not my only protection, nothing has ever entered my computer without being alerted.

As a matter of fact because of my job, I often check photo presentations from other people on my computer and NOD has alerted me of at least a dozen infections in the presentations CDs. The infected systems were ALL protected from NAV.

What am I getting at? I think NAV is a good AV and NOD is as good as NAV, I believe even better considering its lightness and trojan detection.

But when 6string claims that not ONE or TWO, but SIX viruses might have slipped through NOD, then I think something else must have been happening (some malware can disable the AV for exemple).

I completely agree with Blackspear, it is no use to try somebody for murder without a single piece of evidence.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I could provide you with thousands of examples were working malware slipped undetected through the most famous AVs. It's a matter of fact that no AV is 100% perfect. However, for us to tell whether the files missed by NOD32 were supposed to be detected, we'd need to get and analyse those files.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am failed to understand what do u mean by this statement.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's actually very simple: Someone gives me a CD Rom with photos in it, as soon as I insert it into my CD drive to open it and see the photos on my monitor, NOD alerts me that the files on the CD are infected with a particular malware. Usually it is not a big deal as I use ShadowUser, but I would never save those photos to my hard drive.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Are you saying that having a top notch AV, I can visit a particular nasty site and get infected in one go by six different types of malware?

I was talking about numbers, and I've visited all sorts of bad sites on purpose, and was never alerted by more than one thing at the time, but I must admit I have a layered defense.

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just submit those files to samples @ eset.com with a link to this thread and we'll have a look at them. For us to tell whether they should be detected or not, we need to analyse them first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.