NOD32 Compatibility

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Tiger44, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger44

Tiger44 Registered Member

Running Windows98 and would like to know if there will be any conflicts with the following programs if I download NOD32 AV:

1. Norton SystemWorks 2002 (I will DISABLE/UNINSTALL the AV but want to continue running Utilities, etc.)
    2. Zone Alarm Pro
    3. Spy Sweeper
    4. Window Washer
    5. Ad-Aware

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Tiger44, welcome to Wilders.

1. Norton SystemWorks 2002 (I will DISABLE/UNINSTALL the AV but want to continue running Utilities, etc.) - More than likely, yes.
    2. Zone Alarm Pro - Should be fine.
    3. Spy Sweeper - Should be fine.
    4. Window Washer - Not sure.
    5. Ad-Aware - No worries at all.

Cheers :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  3. Tiger44

Thanks Blackspear. But I really do like my utilities (especially defrag). Any utilities/defrag programs out there that will run on Win98 and won't conflict with NOD32 and my other programs? (And are free/not too expensive?)

4. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You can try diskeeper light (Its the same as the one in Windows NT) but works great on 98 and is free. http://www1.execsoft.com/dklite.exe

5. Tiger44

Thanks Hermes. Or I suppose I could use the defrag that comes with the Win98 system.

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I think the defrag in 98 is below "good" at what it does... there are much better alternatives out there.
    This is just a suggestion! By the way the entire lineup of "Diskeeper" products are a sure bet when it comes to disk defragmentation. Simply they work and I have never had issues with compatibility in a large variety of Operating systems. Besides the cost is also reasonable for such a usefull application.
    Current version is 2007 (Just released yesterday actually...).

http://www.diskeeper.com

7. Tiger44

I looked into diskeeper 2007 and it only supports XP and 2000.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Ad-watch, the memory-resident component of the commercial verision Lavasoft's Ad-aware, can prevent NOD32 (and other programs) from installing since it monitors and prevents changes to some of the registry keys used to automatically load applications when Windows starts up. This component does not ship with the version of Ad-aware Lavasoft provides free for individual home use.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Tiger44, I just did exactly what you posted on an older Windows 98SE machine (AMD K6 500mhz w/256K RAM) running NSW 2002. I used the Windows Add/Remove to uninstall the NAV 2002 antivirus component of NSW 2002. Then just to make sure NAV was completely removed I ran an additional Symantec NAV 2002 uninstall program (not for NSW but only for NAV). I think it was called Rnav but I am not sure if Symantec still provides the file for download from their site. Make sure you run the removal utility to ONLY remove NAV if you want to keep the rest of NSW since there are some other programs that remove the other Norton traces. Symantec might be using a different uninstall program now for removing NAV 2003 and earlier programs but you can check the Symantec support site for more information. After uninstalling NAV 2002 and leaving the rest of the NSW 2002 components (most of the NSW 2002 real time features are disabled since they tend to slow down the machine dramatically) then I installed NOD32 and ZA Free version 6.1.744.001 which is the last version compatible with Windows 98SE. ZAP 6.1.744.001 is also a good choice to use in place of ZA free. Overall that setup works really well and it doesn't seem to have any major system performance issues.

10. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello Tiger44,
    Try to track down a copy of the defrag that shipped with w98ME. It works better than w98 and SE defrags and is also much faster. No nag screens, no services. Give that a try before looking too hard for something else.

11. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I use NSW 2001 (without the av portion installed) in ME and the only issue I have is that I have to disable AMON while running Speed Disk (Norton's defrag app) or it will hang the system.

Not a problem as long as you remember to disable AMON first.

12. Tiger44

Thanks all (agorestsky, SoCalReviews, Elwood, FirePost, et al),

Going to download NOD32 (free trial version) in a few days after disabling just the Norton AV. Although one tactic I've heard of is to wipe the system clean of ALL Norton products, download the new AV and then put back the Norton (utilities only).

As for my Ad-aware, it's the free version, not the pay one.

Regarding SpySweeper, I may change to CounterSpy in January when my current subscription expires but want to continue running WebRoot's Window Washer.

Any conflicts with CounterSpy and NOD32?

13. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I uninstalled NSW, then did a custom install (after a reboot and a registry clean, reboot again) and chose not to install the antivirus portion of NSW, then I installed NOD32. It was not called a custom install, can't remember the exact process, but it is possible to install just the utilities and not the antivirus portion of NSW.

BTW, I don't run any of Norton utilities in the background, just run them as I feel the need.

14. Tiger44

Yesterday a.m.: used uninstall to remove the AV from Norton SystemWorks then downloaded NOD32 (free month trial version). All seems to have gone well. Never did run Rnav.exe...seems it no longer exists in the Symantec Knowledge Base. But I did find instructions on how to manually uninstall NAV 2002 if the need ever arises (e.g. lingering traces of NAV on my system).

As for the rest of NSW, I don't run them in the background either. Just as needed (maybe once a week).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.