NOD32 & Comodo Slow

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Ed_H, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

After using KIS 7 and experiencing somewhat slow download speeds, I decided to give NOD32 and Comodo a try. I have implemented Blackspear's settings and while downloads are definitely faster, most other functions are a little slower. Loading website pages or opening MS Office documents lag a bit compared to KIS 7. I am assuming this is a function of Comodo as I have read so much about how lite NOD32 is. If so, is there a better choice for firewalls with NOD32? Has anyone tried the firewall in Online Armor? Thanks.

2. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

4. De Hollander

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Moving IMON settings to Higher Compatibility did not help. I had already used the KIS removal tool and searched the registry. It seems to have uninstalled cleanly.

Maybe I should go back to the default settings for performance comparison. Although that would concern me a little as it seems like many in this forum follow Blackspear's settings. Also, the effectiveness would be more on a par with KAV with the enhanced settings, I assume.

6. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

On amon settings, have you tried the button, optimize scanning? :rolleyes:

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ffreedom01
    Can you temporary uninstall COMODO just to see and possible narrow it down to something . COMODO or not ?

Can you also repair Winsock after COMODO's uninstallation:

Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset
    N.B. ! If you use Windows Vista , you must first run cmd as Administrator .

After restart , open NOD32's Control Center -> Click IMON and reregisted it to the system

Should you still notice slow down , uninstall COMODO , uninstall NOD32 and install ESET Smart Security RC1 - ESET's new product - suit , which contains Firewall , antivirus and anti-threat protection , and anti-spam (which you can use with default settings)

8. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

9. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

This button already checked. I believe it is part of Blackspear's settings.

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Ok...I uninstalled Comodo and repaired Winsock. MS Office apps open very quickly now.

I then re-installed Comodo. Still quick with MS Office apps but still a slowdown loading web pages. I am reluctant to install the ESET RC based on computer geeks link about leak tests. Looks like the RC has a was to go before it is ready for prime time.

11. De Hollander

If you uncheck "Monitor DNS Queries" under Comodo -Application Behaviour Analysis. Does this make any differences?

12. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Yes, that definitely speeds things up. Thanks for all your help.

13. De Hollander

:thumb: :) Please remember there is a reason for Monitor DNS Queries:
    Comodo guide

14. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Yes, I know. I am just trying to find a combination that makes me feel as secure as KIS but works a bit faster on my PC. NOD32 & Comodo are a bit sluggish at times and it seems others on this forum have experienced this as well. The speed is not significantly different from KIS. I am using a several year old Thinkpad T30 (P4 1.9 GHz 768 MB) that I am sure is part of the problem. I briefly tried Outpost but that seemed to use a lot more resources and slow things down significantly. I may give Online Armor a try as well. All suggestions welcome.

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I would be cautious with Online Armor. One of my computers is like yours, and I installed OA and it slowed it down significantly. I have not noticed any slowdown with Comodo and I have tested it extensively, but I decided not to use it and stuck with Windows XP firewall. The idea is to keep intruders out. If they get in, any firewall is vulnerable no matter what anyone tells you. NOD32 will keep them out 99.9% of the time. Focus on the AV-not the firewall. I have posted research several times on this issue that the Windows firewall is sufficient.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Aha! Reading the above, I remembered having to repair the Winsock after I installed Comodo. I had already installed NOD32 on an earlier date, and when I installed Comodo fw I began having your problem.
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html :)

17. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I gave this a shot but it left me without any internet access. No problem as I just did an image restore and was back up and running...just a bit slowly. Thanks for the try

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.