NOD32 and emails using IMAP

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Chalawah, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

Hi

I get my emails using IMAP from my ISP.

<Thinks out loud>....

I think I see that NOD32 doesn't automatically scan IMAP protocol emails. So any emails with attachments that needed downloading would then have to have the attachment saved to disk then scanned by the resident protection on NOD32.

What are your thoughts on me using NOD32 in my case [emails via IMAP]? Or should I look around for another AV program - I see that Zone Alarm AV will scan emails that arrive in my Inbox via IMAP protocol. [is ZA AV any good?]

My ISP says that I shouldn't be concerned as they already scan my emails at their end using Clam AV.

Any advice on this security/AV issue greatly appreciated!

Cheers

julienfamilyman

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

AMON uses the same engine with ThreatSense technology so that you are safe!

3. Chalawah

Hi Fosius

Thanks for taking the time to drop in on this post.

When you say 'uses the same engine with ThreatSense' do you mean uses the same engine as Zone Alarm Anti Virus?

Now let me see, AMON....that's the which type of protection, ?realtime?...sorry I have got to get use to the names like AMON EMON etc etc.

Please bear with me while I get up to speed...

Cheers

Julienfamilyman

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

IMON is the "internet" protection that scans the data on the network level, before it ever reaches the hard drive. It can scan HTTP (web) and POP3 (incoming "regular" e-mail) traffic. It cannot scan IMAP4 mail, AOL mail, encrypted e-mail (because of the encryption), or Microsoft Exchange mail.

AMON scans files as they are opened, created, etc. Any attachments in IMAP4 mail that you download will end up on the hard drive and will get scanned by AMON before the file is actually opened.

EMON can scan mail in applications that use the Microsoft Extended MAPI interface. Basically, that means Outlook, version 2000 or newer, I believe. Not Outlook Express or any other e-mail client. If you have Outlook, it will not scan the IMAP4 mail at the network level, but it *will* scan it once it reaches the Outlook mailbox, before you ever open the e-mail itself. Basically, EMON scans the e-mail at the mailbox level, but only if you use Outlook.

5. Chalawah

Thanks kindly for the clear explanation - much appreciated!

I do infact use Outlook 2003 for my email program so it would seem that NOD32 would be of use to me even though I get my emails via my ISP using IMAP.

Cheers

Julien

6. fosius

fosius Registered Member

EMON scans every mail recieved by Outlook (even using IMAP, POP3....)

7. Chalawah

Hi Fosius...thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Now I am feeling I need to talk about this further...I had a reply from NOD32 themselves to say this:

'NOD32 will only scan POP3 and MAPI email'

So Fosius, haveyou/are you specifically using IMAP yourself and successfully scanned IMAP emails?

Anyone else shed specific experience with IMAP and NOD32?

Thanks for the help with this query

Cheers

Julienfamilyman

8. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I use NOD32 with Outlook 2002 using POP3 and IMAP accounts. Here is the result of a test email I have collected just now from my IMAP account using Outlook with EMON configured to append a notification to all email (I suggest you use this setting for EMON and perform a similar test(s) to assure yourself rather than rely on other people's experiences):

_____________ NOD32 EMON 1.1183 (20050729) information _____________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system http://www.eset.com

9. Chalawah

Excellent - thanks Howard!

Just a further query [and it may be an indication of where I am on the learning cyurve of computer literacy]...

.... but outbound emails that I send are SMTP protocol even when receiving is via IMAP [and isn't this the same out bound protocol used for POP3], . So, yep you may well get EMON to scan outbound emails and config to append to emails, but it is the incoming emails via IMAP that I am interested in security-wise. From what the Director New Zealand NOD32 says, NOD 32 will not scan IMAP protocol.

I am actually doing the research before considering purchase of NOD32 for the not-for-profit organisation I coordinate and I will certainly investigate your suggestions when I get as far as downloading and installing NOD32, but for now I am going on NOD32 headman's oppinion. Anyone able to expand on this thread?

Thanks for keeping this thread active, and helping me to get to the bottom of this. I value all of your time in posting.

Cheers

Julien

10. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Hi Julien, You have misunderstood my post: my post has nothing to do with sent emails, but centres on email collected via IMAP and Outlook and checked by EMON, i.e., I sent a test email to my IMAP account and EMON appended the message to this email when I read it. It was sent via SMTP using Polarbar (a 100% Java based emailer) that EMON does not check. Again, I suggest you test this for yourself - it is very simple to configure EMON to append messages when sent or received via Outlook.

11. Chalawah

Thanks for that Howard - now I understand where you were coming from.

Cheers

Julienfamilyman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.