NOD32 3.x / Vista can't browse to anything

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by natv, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natv

natv Registered Member

Hi guys

I'm running Vista 64-bit on a new Dell Inspiron desktop, 4GB RAM.

I was having a problem with intermittently (but more often than not), in both Firefox and Internet Explorer, I couldn't access anything at all. Even trying to go to google.com, it would just hang forever at "Waiting for google.com" in the status bar.

Researched a little and found it could have to do with NOD32 so I played around in the Advanced Settings.

I had to add the executables as exceptions and had to place a red x in the checkbox to exclude them under the web browser section. Just doing one or the other didn't work.

Is this the only solution? I want the best protection possible, anyone else experience this? Did you have to do both of what I did above?

I'm not running the firewall suite by the way, just the Anti Virus / Anti Spam NOD32.

Thanks
    Nat

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello natv,

Adjust your protocol filter settings. To do so:

1. Open the main program window by clicking the ESET icon next to the system clock or by clicking ‘Start’ -> ‘All Programs’ -> ‘ESET’ -> ‘ESET Smart Security’ or ‘ESET NOD32 Antivirus’.

2. Press the F5 key to display the Advanced Setup window.

3. From the Advanced Setup tree, click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Protocol Filtering'.

For ESET Smart Security users, click 'Personal Firewall' -> 'Protocol Filtering'.

4. Select the 'Applications marked as Internet browsers or e-mail clients' option.

5. From the Advanced Setup tree, click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Web access protection' -> 'HTTP' -> 'Web browsers' and make sure that only the applications you want scanned with the Internet filter are selected. Typically only real web browsers (iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc.) will need to be selected. Repeat this step for email clients (outlook.exe, thunderbird.exe, etc.) by clicking 'POP3' -> 'Email Clients'.

6. Click 'OK' to save your changes.

Lastly, what was the previous antivirust that you were running? That may have an affect.

Thank you,

Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.