NOD32 2.70.31 released as automatic PCU in Slovakia

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Gizmo, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

All installers have almost 3 GB in total plus we have 2 download servers :]

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

New versions are not always released when it is just one version that is updated. As an example, a while ago the Portuguese language version of NOD32 for Windows had to be re-released because the EULA contained some incorrect information. As a result, this particular build had a different version number than the other releases.

As you might imagine for something which is released with as many types (trial, licensed, workstation and LAN Update Server) and languages (Chinese - Simplified, Chinese - Traditional, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish) as NOD32, the build process is highly automated, so while there is a cost associated with separate builds, it is extremely small and has been amortized across so many releases that it is usually not remarked upon or even thought about. Probably the best way to think of it is how you yourself handle any task on your computer that is time-intensive (i.e., it takes a while to complete) but is not labor-intensive (i.e., all you had to do was click a button or run a batch file to start the process). When I do things at home which are going to take a while, like perform a backup or defragment a disk volume, I typically start the procedure and after verifying it has started properly, go get a cup of coffee (or tea). It's the same kind of thing, although processes like builds can be split across multiple networks of computers to decrease run time.

The thing about using massive (or not-so-massive) parallelization is that your gain are from efficiencies on the automation side. While the startup costs may have been initially higher, the result over time is that it reduces the overall cost of releasing software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

When will the automatic PCU (English) be released for 2.70?

At Work we are stiil running 2.50.25 because our desktop computers update from a mirror server on our Company LAN.
    This server relies on an automatic update being downloaded from Eset.

I updated to 2.70 manually at Home in mid-November 2006 and have had no problems, but 3 months later we still have not been updated at Work.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I wouldn't hold my breath, that's for sure.

I'm beginning to think that this whole "AUTO-UPDATE" nonsense is just that - NONSENSE! A great myth, an old wive's tale....rumor, inuendo, hearsay, etc.

Nor at home, for an English user. :thumbd:

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

NOD32 Slovakian language went to PCU a few days ago, and as English language always goes second we can't be far away...

Cheers :D

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks for that reply (as always), Blackspear.... :thumb:

Just a couple of things:

First, what do you mean by "went to PCU a few days ago"?

And second, it's now been right at a week since your post, and we'll be entering March in about another week....but yet there is still no "auto-update". :( Since this was first mentioned and v 2.7 was released in early NOVEMBER.....is it time to forget the auto-update and assume that it just ain't gonna happen o_O

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You are welcome.

PCU is “Program Component Upgrade” as in version 2.5xx to version 2.7xx

No, it is happening and it will be any day now, ESET are preparing its push… You have to realize that if it isn't perfect it would give them headaches beyond belief, so they won't do it unless it is absolutely perfect... could you imagine millions of users thumping on the door of every ESET support office cranky as all hell if something wasn't right :blink:

Cheers :D

8. tech4

tech4 Registered Member

hi guys!
    when released as automatic PCU for NOD32 2.7 version..o_O

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you mean the Slovak CPU 2.7, it was released more than a month ago, the English PCU was released about 2-3 weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.