NOD v4 x64 causing Server 2008 to hang

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GraemeEvans, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraemeEvans

GraemeEvans Registered Member

Hi

I am having problems with a brand new HP server. Its a good server (quad core xeon 5504 cpu (Corei7), 6GB DDR3, 4 disk sas R6 array) but since installing the NOD v4 x64 client (which seemed fine) the server now hangs randomly. Mostly it was once a day but occasionally it would skip a day and some days it happened twice before I guessed the cause. I uninstalled NOD 2 weeks ago now and it's been 100% since. When it is hung it can still be pinged and you can move the mouse, no events are written to the logs, infact nothing can be read/written to disk until it is forcibly rebooted.

I have another identical new server that went in with this but the other server has exchange so it is running the 2.71 client with the XMON module and it is fine.

Now I need to know either why this is happening and is it limited the the v4 client, or is the 32bit 2.71 client the best option for an x64 server?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

If a server is running MS Exchange - it must be the NOD32 2.71 XMON

If the server is not running MS Exchange , you could run v3 or v4 (as well as v2 , if you prefer).

I'd recommend you uninstall v4.0 and reboot the server .
    Then , download v3.0.694 - this is the very latest v3 build
    www.eset.com -> Business section -> x64 section

Install and use v3.

Finally , read this article and apply the necessary exclusions:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN727&actp=LIST_POPULAR
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2144

3. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

You only need XMON if you want to scan the Exchange boxes directly. Since all our desktops already have NOD32 clients on them, including their email program plug-ins, we don't bother scanning the mail boxes a tthe server. So we just use the standard v4 configured to scan everything else on the Exchagne server (with specific exclusions setup to not screw with Exchange - as per MS's site).

4. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

did you set it up as recommended here. if that doesnt help, i'd install v3 and set it up as recommended here

5. GraemeEvans

GraemeEvans Registered Member

initially I hadn't set it up as per that document, but I did soon try it that way. no difference either way.

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Graeme,

Forget V4 on servers. Some people have success, others do not. I'm managing a handful of servers, and some work fine with V4 whilst others give the same symptoms you're seeing. Uninstall V4 ESET, then install V3 ESET, and all will be fine.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.