NOD updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Stem, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

2. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Update to last post -- I had to try manual update three times before I finally got my NOD up to 1.1682. This despite NOD telling me my antivirus had been automatically updated, to 1.1678.
    Time to look for a more reliable antivirus I think. I can't rely on a product that tells me I am up to date when in fact I am over a month out of date. My system is critical to me as I use it to clean other people's disks. I am very disappointed with this indeed. Very disappointed. I bought NOD on the basis of the many recommendations in this forum, and on the helpfulness of people here. That trust has now been dashed by this update fiasco AND by the condescending replies of people here who treat ordinary users so flippantly by dismissing so blithely their legitimate concerns.

3. webyourbusiness

Sorry you feel that way...

4. Heco

Heco Registered Member

WOW! Everything back to normal here as concern the updates:D .
    Thank you Blackspear for your wise advice and Marcos for repairing the servers.:D
    Cheers,:cool:
    Hervé

PS: Database is 1.1683 now. Hurrah! LOL

5. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Yes -- the servers were set to choose automatically. And I have since reinstalled with the new installer, and after 3 attempts have been able to bring it finally up to 1.1682. So no issues with firewalls or other software preventing updates.

6. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Yes thank you. But ordinary users who don't have time to check all of these things out shouldn't have to do this kind of thing. If the antivirus is set to update automatically it should do so. It certainly should never go out of date by more than a month.

7. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Well how would you feel? It's only half an hour or so since I found out my antivirus was over a month out of date! Yes, I was stupid not to check, but I have a lot to do, and the one piece of software I really trusted on this machine was NOD! I was told every day or two my antivirus had been updated to latest version so why should I think any differently. I can understand if there are update issues over a day or two, or even over a few days, but a month? And the fact that I have now resolved it by installing the latest version from the website suggests that it wasn't an issue with my system or my firewall.
    Agreed?

8. webyourbusiness

I agree, but AV / anti-spyware and windows networking are a complex set of interacting systems, the basic questions have to be asked and obvious answers eliminated before proceeding to the more complex issues that may be at hand. This occassionally comes across wrong in forums, as tonality can be be interpretted where there is none - and that can make you think a response is condescending when it was not inteded to be so. I'm glad you got that update, and to be honest, I had troubles getting 1.1682 myself, and I am still not sure why - I don't see that as a critical problem, as it's just one small update, and when I got up at 1AM to make some ticket reservations, the update had come down - problem solved.

However, a month of failed updates would have had me jumping round the room with frustration too - and getting to the bottom of it is not going to be easy once the update has been forced down. Watch the update versions and if you don't have the update within say, 4 hours of the update happening, please post back here.

9. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Well thank you very much. You've calmed me down a bit!
    :D
    It's only come to my attention, so naturally I am livid, but as you say there could be other issues which need to be checked first before I jump down Eset's throat!

10. webyourbusiness

lol - computers have a way of doing that to people - I sometimes question my sanity and choosing them as a career option! ;)

11. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Updating fine now at my end. :)

12. supergravy

supergravy Registered Member

I enjoyed your posts as I went through the same reaction. Even managed to buy another AV program in the process and type out a post that was edited. It was pointed out (nicely) that this is the nod32 support forum. Problem is, I really did not feel very supported. Instead, I felt as though some were indirectly accusing me of using a cracked version or otherwise doing something wrong or incorrectly. So not only were none of my 3 pc's up to date but my internet feelers were now drooping. Fortunately with a little time all of the following happened:

- the person I thought the most guilty of accusations (and another I greatly respect) soon admitted their pc's hadn't updated either. Hmm... guess cracked machines weren't the only ones not updating. And if cracked versions are a big issue, I tend to think the nod folks should be finding a way to fix it. It is not the fault of paying customers or honest trial users.

- I became aware of a great alternative AV program that I am now really enjoying. There are consequences when issues like this update problem occur.

- ESET seems to have fixed the problem - woo hoo!

13. Gez

Gez Registered Member

I have paid for three of the top-rated antivirus products, and until now have been using NOD for real-time scanning and the other two for on-demand scanning. I liked NOD for real-time because it was lightweight, and its heuristic capabilities are, we are told, second to none. But my big problem with what has happened today isn't the failure to update; it's the breach of trust which occurs when you are told your antivirus has been updated when in fact it hasn't. For over a month? And the second problem I have which makes me furious is the insinuation that most people who can't get the updates are using trial or cracked versions, or don't have their update policy set up correctly. This is unforgivable in my opinion.
    I'm going to have to reassess my security now. I had absolute faith in my antivirus -- stupidly, I hear some people say. This machine is used to clean other people's disks, and I can't risk getting infected because something as simple as updates isn't working properly. The machine is also used to test many security products, and to test lots of software, so it's critical that I can trust my antivirus. I really am disappointed now. Really disappointed.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Marcos,.. Yes thanks,.. I did find after my posting, that posts had been removed, and that you could be referring to them,.. so sorry for "Jumping to conclusions" on my part.

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I updated earlier this moring after the machine came on, it said updated to 7/28?, I'll have to check to see what version when I get home...

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen, what you have seen here over the last few days is so extremely rare, in fact you will see if you search the forums that this happened about 2 years ago, the consequence of which were further update servers added. The issue is caused by exponential growth, and that growth has to be managed, in this case it was let slip, more servers should have been brought online earlier and then the very unusual large update rolled out, as such this issue would not have been seen.

As a result of the above there are more servers being added, and I'm pretty sure Eset would have learnt a great deal from this experience, that in 2 years time we will not go through the same exercise.

Cheers

Blackspear.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  17. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

I concur with Blackspear & let's move on! :)

18. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

Maybe you're a follower of Jean-Paul Sartre, but isn't the problem a result of exponential growth? :)

Nitpicking aside, your comments are appreciated.

19. Heco

Heco Registered Member

LOLLL...
    I'm imagining this philosopher and writer who said "Words are loaded pistols", computing side by side with S. de Beauvoir and trying to update NOD32 if they both were still living....:D
    Really too funny LOL.
    Cheers,
    Hervé

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Indeed, and now corrected ;) :D

My pleasure.

Cheers :D

21. DarkStar251

DarkStar251 Registered Member

I think the issue here is NOT that the update servers had problems etc, its that when the software cannot connect to the servers during an automatic or manual update it does not seem to alert the user to this, without looking through logs etc.

When you click 'update now', it should NOT state 'your version of nod32 is up to date', it should state 'could not connect to update server' or 'update server is busy try again later'.

The fact that the software lies to you and states that it is up to date, is the breach of trust people are talking about, and an update to the software must be released to change this behaviour.

That said, all people and companies are allowed a few mistakes, and NOD32's record up to now is totally impeccable imho.

Such a small and easily fixed problem is not a reason to switch AV software for me unless it is allowed to fester.

22. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You'll only see that message when it has made contact to a server.
    If it can't connect to any server at all, you'll see an alert notification.

It'll look like this:

Attached Files:

23. DarkStar251

DarkStar251 Registered Member

Well something doesnt tally up when the message on a manual update says 'Your Version of NOD32 is up to date' and the log says 'Update attempt failed (Server connection failure)'.

I can only assume this is because of a busy server when spamming the update button fixes it :)

Either way, in and of itself this isnt enough of a reason to stop me being a NOD32 customer, as I have said, I just think the messages should tally up, and that there should never be a situation where the software reports that it is up to date when it is not. Better to report that the update failed than that the software is already up to date.

24. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Actually, Brian....I can concur with DarkStar here. In my case (and from the sound of it, several others as well)....no connection was made to a server (in the event log, I continually got the red exclamation icon with the words "Error connecting to server u1.eset.com" whenever I tried to manually update)....yet I was continually greeted with the pop-up window saying "Your version of nod32 is up to date. No update necessary"....

I agree this isn't a reason to drop NOD, just something that should be addressed for future changes....

25. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

It is really funny, this attitude of Eset - both here and @email support too.

First, it is probably difficult to get, but nobody is going to attack you - there simple isn't point in that. So, there is no reason to take a deep defense.
    Also, it is clear that by posting here most users are actually trying to help Eset.

O.P. clearly didn't complain about late updates, but pointed out the fact that NOD reports itself up-to-date, when it is actually not.
    It is NOT something that happens once in two years. It happens all the time and one can reproduce this behaviour easily, if he really wants to understand what is going on. And it does not matter if NOD updates successfully 5 minutes later on not(as it happens once in 2 years) - it is BUG anyway.

So, why there is no straight answer from Eset? Is it really that after paying for software, spending time to find bug, user still needs to be insulted by some Eset moderator or support staff, who will better pretend dumb than admit the truth? (by insult I mean endless need to answer stupid questions when all it takes is to check own product).

The same stands for never ending moaning about 'cracked versions'.
    One doesn't need to be an expert to see how bad NOD's protection is. It is actually completely laughable.
    So, users are most likely paying because they are honest and do not deserve listening that BS, just because Eset didn't properly protect their product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.