No response in forum, no response from Acronis, ready to give up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AlanMintaka, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanMintaka

AlanMintaka Registered Member

Five days ago I posted a message in this forum and sent one to Acronis via the tech support form on their web site. No response so far.

I can't make backups. First I start a "My Data" backup and select some folders on my C:\ drive. About a half hour into the backup, I start getting file read errors. I click "ignore" on all prompts. After about 20 of these errors, Acronis aborts the backup with no message. The program window stays open but the backup job has ended.

I've sent all required report files and logs to tech support. Here's what what of the error messages looks like:

"Failed to backup file or folder '<folder name>'. Error reading the file. (0x40001) Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0A2F (0x1003EB) Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AC01"

This happens on two different systems backing up to two different USB drives. The systems are Dell Dimension 8300 and 8400. Their internal hard drives are 250GB each with about 100GB free. The external USB hard drives are 350 GB with about 300GB free.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Big Al Mintaka

System:

Dell Dimension 8300 3.2 GHz 1.0 GB RAM
    Two internal hard drives 250 GB, 100 GB free
    External USB drive 350 GB, 300 GB free

AV: McAfee VirusScan, Personal Firewall

2. jon1

jon1 Registered Member

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

As previously suggested run chkdsk X: /r on the drive in question. Substitute your drive letter for X. You may also want to turn off your virus scan and see if that makes a difference.

4. rgreen4

rgreen4 Registered Member

I have usually found that a file read error indicates an error in the file. When a backup program (any flavor) has problems reading a file and tells you the file name, a good quick test is to see if you can do a windows/dos file copy to another location. Most of the time, you cannot.

Checkdisk is a good test, but be prepared for a problem.

If this were one drive on one machine, I would suspect the start of drive failure and want to get as much off as quickly as possible. The fact that you have it on two different drives on separate machines (unless I read your post wrong) is troubling.

Are these machines networked?

Are both machines connected to the internet?

What anti-virus and anti-spyware are you running?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What version and build of TrueImage are you using? The version and build are found in Help / About.

The latest build of TrueImage 10 is 4942.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AlanMintaka,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

In the meantime, please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information (if you haven't done so yet) to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then send a reply to the message with your Acronis request number. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.