No resident protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by scott12, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott12

scott12 Guest

My computer is very slow, specs aren't up to par with new systems so I've decided against resident protection from an AV. I know this sounds odd but my computer runs much faster now as opposed to then, I love the speed since I am on dial up I need all the speed I can get. I've gotten some basic programs to offer me decent protection.

1. Looknstop
    2. Processguard
    3. Winpatrol

Considering buying wintasks pro as well.

If I can stop viruses and trojans from launching I can deal with that and I will be happy and to be honest I only get trojans from autosurf websites but since upgraded to Netscape 8 and enable maximun browser security and I get no more of those. I'm a safe surfer so I feel I can pull this off but another concern is when I get a virus it's in my documents and settings folder, almost all of them are and I would like some assistance of a program or two that can prevent that, maybe a cookie deleter, temp cleaner or something of that nature and also maybe some advice of pc security without a Active AV as resident.

Thanks

Scott

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, based on what you say you are now running, and contemplating to run, selecting a machine appropriate AV should yield a better result. Naturally, it's your choice, but AV's vary a lot on system impact. Many a quite heavy, a few are light. Which are you familiar/experienced with?

Blue

3. scott12

scott12 Guest

Falimar with about all of them but my system runs better without it, I figure I can configure a firewall well enough and use safe browsing and I should do okay. I'm not gonna get a AV so I want to secure my browser and firewall to provide a great deal of security.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you really wanna go on that path then you might as well get a hardware firewall.

5. Trans

Trans Registered Member

I live like you Scott12 for a year now without resident protection.
    I use mainly Opera browser , Kerio 2.1.5 firewall and KAV 4.5 as an
    on Demand scanner.
    I'm not a careful surfer BUT I always scan what I
    download with KAV and many times it found Trojans .

KAV found also some Trojans in my browser cache (when I manually
    let it scan it when I was offline) but these couldn't infect me from there
    so I don't worry.
    A good idea also is to have set browsers cache as "empty on exit".

I have also Spywareblaster and Adaware installed.

From all these only Kerio 2.1.5 is running which has a small footprint.

I don't have the feeling that I am well protected this way but I prefer
    a small risk than sluggishness ....

6. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

atleast you can add some [/B]ondemand avs for weekly scans. that wont consume any resources realtime.
    u have ewido free,e-scan free,dr web cure it,antivir ondemand only,f-prot ondemand only(paid),dr web ondemand only(paid), to choose from..even kav can be made ondemand only without consuming any resources..

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Running without an AV Guard is risky but if you know what you are doing and practise safe hex you may not become infected. But if your on-demand scans are picking up malware then your supposedly safe hex behaviour is not quite there yet.

If you have no valuable data on your machine and you are the sole user, you may well decide to run without a running AV Guard. But remember you can still infect other machines.

Some general advice on safe hex here;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463
    http://www.wilders.org/securing_your_pc.htm
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    http://www.keypost.com/safehex.htm

But before giving up the idea of resident AV protection, I would try either F-Prot for Windows or Dr Web( custom install without the scheduler or Spidermail) running in real time. Both of these are very light-weight and will run on the oldest of computers.

8. squash

squash Registered Member

Definitely get AV realtime protection...
    In fact, since you are concern about speed, I would even drop Winpatrol for AV realtime protection.

AVG 7.0 Free uses only 5 or 6 Meg in resources. So you may like to try that.

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

get drweb as real time protection. i swear its so light it could run on my calculator without slowing it down

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Really?It's taking 25MB RAM right now on my PC.AVG 6 was much lighter.The lightest i know is AntiVir.It's even Windows 95 compatible,that should say something

12. squash

squash Registered Member

Yes, I'm not joking.
    AVG 7.0 Free here on this machine takes around 8 at max, with resident protection and everything enabled.

I don't know whats wrong over there, since a program is a program.

13. tkc

tkc Guest

i'm not sure if this would help but depending on the antivirus, the default setting may be to scan all files with heuristics on. this would obviously take up more system resources than scanning only selected extensions with heuristics off. although this may leave u prone to "in the wild" viruses, i think it would be the best tradeoff between having some virus protection and no virus protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.