No priority setting for backup process?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

Backup & Recovery 2010 Free
    Windows XP Pro SP-3

While walking through the wizard (several times) and looking at File -> Settings, I have not found a means of setting priority on the backup job. While I may schedule the backup job to start off-hours, it could still be running when I return to my computer (which could be at any time). I still want my computer to be responsive and usable to me, not impacted with a normal-priority job that is sucking up the CPU or generating so much data bus traffic that my computer is not usable to me.

I have found no setting for priority (to lower it). When the backup job starts at its scheduled time, there are no other programs running (except for the startup programs). The computer will be quiescent at that time so even a low-priority process will get full use of the CPU. A normal-priority process, if still running, could impact the usability of my computer if the process is still running when I return to using my computer. A low-priority process would get forced to surrender the CPU when normal-priority processes are loaded when I start to use my computer again.

Is there no priority control for backup jobs in B&R2012free? Do I have to resort to editing the scheduled backup event in Task Scheduler to use something like SysInternals' psexec.exe with its priority parameter to load the backup program with low priority?

2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

VanguardLH,

As far as I know, there is no option to specifically control the priority of the backup job.
    However, for your situation, please be sure to specify the VSS processing option and *not* the Paragon - Hot processing option. VSS option will have the backup pgm run under "normal priority", but the Hot processing option will run the backup pgm under "realtime priority.

P.S. Raza0007, knows more about this, than me. Perhaps, he or someone else can add more to this thread.

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Paragon does not have any setting for changing the priority of the backup process. In fact they have something in the code that overwrites the priority, even if you use an external program to set the priority. I used Prio to save a specific priority for the paragon task but when ever the task ran, it ran with its own built-in priority and I was unable to get it to automatically run with the priority I wanted.

I did not use psexec.exe, so maybe that will work. In the mean time you just have to live with the built-in priority of Paragon.

Since you are concerned with the normal priority, you will be surprised to know that if you change the hot processing technology from VSS to PHP, the backup job runs with "realtime" priority. I had mentioned this here 3 years ago but nobody has done anything about it. In fact it appears you have to open a support ticket just so that someone will at least read your complaint and respond to it. This is what I recommend you do as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.