No luck creating backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ralgh, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

You get two kinds of ide cables from Asus as I recall. One for CD (DVD) and one for hard drives. The problem may be the wrong choice of cable or it may be a timing issue with whatever other device you have on the cable with the F drive. Could you place the F drive on a cable by itself and be sure to use the one marked for hard drives? Be sure the jumpers on the drive are set correctly for the test and be sure that they were correct in the original configuration.

2. Ralgh

Ralgh Registered Member

I definitely have the proper cable hooked up. It has the HDD tag on it. Originally the jumpers were set to slave for the F drive and cable select for the C drive. I changed the C to master but that made no difference. I can’t put the F drive on the cable alone because both the C an F are on that cable. I am not aware of a way to put two IDE drives on separate cables. Is there any chance it could be because the drives are not lettered sequentially ie. C,D,E.

It seems that a file size somewhere between 821MB and 1,680MB is the point where the files change from the original. I tried moving increasingly larger files from the C to F drive and then do the checksum. I copied a half hour Tivo program (812MB) and an hour program (1680). The 30 minute one comes up with the identical checksum value where the 1 hour one is different. Why do you suppose that would be.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, until a BIOS update, a new driver or a hardware change comes along, it looks like copying or writing any file much larger than 812MB to your F drive will result in a corrupt file.

Try making an image of C to F and D to F splitting the file at 700MB. This is easy because TI offers this as a split size and you don't have to type anything in. Also, if you ever want to burn the image to CDs or DVDs, you can do so. It's easier to see the splits if you put a # sign at the end of the backup name so that the splits are yourname#1.tib, yourname#2.tib, etc.

After making each split image to F, check the images. Based on what you have reported, they should both be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.