No free version upgrades?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by enduser999, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

If one purchases Acronis True Image locally in a store and it is not the current version but version 8 am I correct that I would have to pay $29 to upgrade to version 9.x of the product?

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Why buy version 8 if you intend to use version 9?

3. Mem

Mem Registered Member

I think you have to pay the upgrade price to get version 9 now. There was a grace period, from what I can remember, to upgrade for free for those buying version 8 30 days or less before and after the release of 9 - retailers restocked to 9 during that time.

4. enduser999

If indeed this is Acronis's policy then they may want to rethink it.

The merchants are suppose to restock to version 9. It is especially looks bad when it is one of the Acronis approved on line merchants that is showing an outdated version of Acronis on the merchant's website. Nothing like losing a new customer because through no fault of they purchase a product in good faith only to find out that it is an old version and they have to pay an additional $29 USD to get the current version! Seems Acronis believes an disatisified customer is nothing to worry about. :(

5. Howard Kaikow

There are two issues:

1. I, and maybe others, have previously commented that Acronis has weak marketing as evidenced by the lower availability of their products at online vendors than their prime competition,

2. Whether one shops online, or locally, the internet makes it very easy to go to a manufaccturer's web site to determine the latest product versions. So, Acronis is not to blame if one purchases an outdated version.

6. Mem

Mem Registered Member

It could also be that the vendor hasn't updated the website but is shipping version 9.

7. enduser999

Well other software companies that have a higher presence than Acronis allow an enduser who purchases their product to update to the current version of the product for free. If the opinion that you expressed in point 2) is also the official attitude of Acronis then they will continue to have problems. I will stop mentioning their product at meetings that I attend and to clients that I visit who are interested in a backup solution!

There is such a thing as walk up business aka cold sales where someone has no knowledge that Acronis True Image exists. They visit a brick and motar business see Acronis's product on the shelf and purchase it.

Using your point 2 above it would mean that they would not purchase the product at that time but instead would go home and research Acronis True Image. They would find that the current version is 9.0 not the older version of the product on the store shelf. The result is that the merchant and Acronis would lose the sale!

Yes the current version is still available on the Internet but there are people that refuse to purchase products via the Internet.

8. Howard Kaikow

I sure hope that nobody is foolish enough to place an order with such expectations. You get what you order. If the web site does not show th edesired version, do not order.

9. Howard Kaikow

Only within some finite time frame, and only if you have seen such an offer posted at the vendor's web site.

I have no idea what is Acronis's position, but one cannot ASSuME anything.

Correct.

Doesn't stop them from checking the manufacturer's web site before buying internet or not.

10. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I'd like to be able to buy an earlier version of Windows then get Microsoft to upgrade me for free to Windows XP. Unfortunately, I doubt they would do so.

Acronis have a policy of releasing frequent free updates of the current version of TrueImage. These new builds incorporate bug fixes and occasional enhancements. Not all vendor will do this much.

If you believe you have been misled by the vendor and can't get any satisfaction then I suggest you email Acronis Support. Explain all the details of the purchase and ask what they can do to assist you.

11. enduser999

Huh? If a software vendor does not at least support their product by releasing bug fixes and patches to fix problems in their software then the company will not be around for long, that is unless they are a monopoly.

Finding new customers costs a company a lot more than keeping their current ones happy. A frustrated and fed up former customer who got stuck with a bug ridden software usually makes sure to let other people know of the bad treatment that they have received from a company.

[/QUOTE]

Once one opens a piece of software purchased at a retailer it can not be returned for a refund. Plain and simple.

I will hold off from recommending Acronis products any further until I hear from someone who is an official representative from Acronis regarding what their policy is concerning people purchasing outdated product from their recommended merchants.

12. Howard Kaikow

If you live in the USA, there are laws that cover returns to the manufacturer.
    It's either 30, 60 or 90 days from purchase. Info is at the Federal Trade Commission's web site.

But it would be a lot easier to just telephone Acronis and tell them you wish to return the software. Some companies may even offer a longer period than required by the FTC in which you can return software.

You may even get lucky and, after you provide proof of purchase, they might send you TI 9.

If you are in another country, your country might have similar laws.

13. enduser999

Thankfully I am not in that position and I was able to stop my friend, who I recommended True Image to, from purchasing True Image from this local recommended retailer. They are the ones that are still selling version 8.

By the way here where I am in Canada you are SOL regarding returning opened software if the the retailer clearly has stated at time of purchase that opened software is not returnable for refund. If the software CD is faulty they will exchange it for another copy. Otherwise you have bought yourself an expensive coffee cup coaster.

14. Howard Kaikow

I mentioned a law requiring manufacturer's to accept returns, not retailers.
    Canada may have such a law.

Also, since Acronis lists an address in the USA, the USA law might be applicable.

15. tachyon42

Some companies will not release bug fixes unless they judge them to be critical. Sometimes a workaround might be suggested as a solution until the next version is offered for sale. Seldom are major updates like TrueImage build 3567 offered for free.

Not true if the purchaser has been misled by the vendor (although I guess this may depend on the consumer laws in your state/country)

16. Howard Kaikow

Bug fixes, such as 3567, are almost always offerred at no charge.
    The only restriction I've eve seen is when a software product put a time limit on such updates. In general, I won'y buy such a product.

17. tachyon42

Build 3567 does not just contain bug fixes. For example, the feature where one can mount an image as a virtual drive has been enhanced to allow a read/write mode. Of course, one could argue that this just fixes a deficiency in Trueimage. However, my point still stands - few manufacturers will offer free updates to improve what some may see as a deficiency. Usually you have to buy a newer version to get enhanced features.

18. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Ditto the new features such as Windows X64 compatibility, enhanced MBR image/restore and the ability to retain your settings when rebooting into Linux rescue mode from within Windows.

Regards

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello enduser999,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify when and where you have purchased Acronis True Image 8.0?

If you have purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 in the retail store recently, please provide the information confirming your purchase of the software (scan or make a digital photo of the receipt, installation CD) in order to get Acronis True Image 9.0 Upgrade for free.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the requested information along with the link to this thread. We will help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

20. Howard Kaikow

Given the early problems with TI 9 and the recent release of Norton Save and Restore, Acronis really had no choice but to make 3567 a free update.

21. enduser999

I did not purchase the product recently. I had recommended to someone who called me and indicated that the version that the local retailer which is on Acronis's recommended list, was selling version 8. I told them not to buy it until I found out what your company's policy was with regards to buying an old version of True Image.

So Acronis requires a copy or a digital photo of both the CD and the receipt?

22. Acronis Support

Hello enduser999,

Actually, we need a confirmation of your purchase and information about the date of the purchase, because according to our Upgrade Policy we provide free upgrade to customers who purchased the software within 30 days prior to the release of the new version of the product, and also those who have purchased software maintenance or site license. That is why we request scanned or digital photo of the receipt for your every purchase of our software.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

23. enduser999

The following is addressed stricly to Acronis personnel:

I want to make sure that I understand Acronis's official policy about a customer unknowingly purchasing stale retail product.

Say a customer purchases an outdated version of Acronis True Image product, at one of your recommended retailers, and the purchase date is past this 30 day period. Then in order to get the current version of True Image they will have to pay an additional $29 USD on top of the full retail price that they have just paid? Is this correct?

As I indicated in a prior post the retail establishments where I am located in Canada do not accept opened computer software for refunds.

24. Acronis Support

Hello enduser999,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Kirill forgot to mention that if a customer purchases a boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0 in the retail store after a newer version has been released, we will provide him with Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Upgrade for free.
    However, he should confirm his purchase and provide the information about the date of it.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.