NIS 2011 and NAV 2011 have been officially released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ace11, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I installed IE9 on main host machine and Download Insight works now.
    Must be something wrong on the other computer or I missed something there cause I don't use that one often.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

everyday isn't "occasionally":-if it was "occaisionally" then you're right it wouldn't be paranoia, but scanning every day with a second anti-malware tool is like going down stairs repatedly to make sure you haven't left the light on because you are never sure you turned it off,even on the occasions you went down to check!:-where do you draw the line,5 or 6 extra anti-malware tools to all check each other and your primary defence?:-I just feel the anti-malware industry has a whole as produced users who feel that no matter what they do they should be doing more and the same ones are the ones who "feel" something is on their rig!

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think Steve is right. Another way to look at it is if repeated scans with Norton IS and the Eraser Tool consistently find nothing, you must be doing something right. Of course, I appreciate this doesn't mean you'll never catch something, but the point is if you're a relatively "safe" computer user as you openly admit, such risks should be minimised.

I keep saying this, but a lot of it is down to what you do on your computer. If you like to test malware or so-called rogue programs then there is probably a need for such vigilence. Once you can say what the risks are to you then that is where you can truly say to what extent you need protection to a degree that you need to scan every day with whatever approach fits the situation.

For example, although OT to this thread, I discovered Sandboxie in Wilders where many consider this to be another good way to protect oneself by sandboxing the browser. I first thought this is the way to go as so many seem to advocate this so I got Sandboxie. I found some users sandbox every browsing session; others only sometimes. Personally I've found I don't need to sandbox every session. In fact, the only time I do so is when I'm testing the so-called rogue applications mentioned above. The rest of the time I don't, including this visit to Wilders, as I consider myself to be a "safe surfer" so such needs are not necessary IMO.

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

I agree that obsessive compulsive behaviors are dysfunctional, of course; and so am very curious as to why you are obsessed with my own personal preferences for malware scanning? :)

I do disagree, however, that users in general feel that “they should be doing more.” Too many users, in my opinion, are unaware of what they should (and should not) be doing to ensure a safe computing experience. In this way, the anti-malware industry is providing a beneficial service by educating (and, in some cases, motivating) users. Consider:

6. Pleonasm

Indeed, I am more than confident that I am “doing something right,” through the use of safe-computing practices. Yet, I do not underestimate the continuing and evolving ingenuity of malware authors. It’s not panic or paranoia – it is prudence.

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Don't put yourself on such a high pedestal:-was using you as an example of how trying to make sure your PC is clean does become an obsession and denying it by trying to convince me after stating you scanned every day/other day with eraser that it was "occasional" lol:-its just conditioning by the companies that make the products to protect PCs!

9. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

NAV was working good, once I changed it to NIS .. my system didn´t pass the log in screen, and after 2 reboots it logged in but it didn´t launch all the win services ..

My Pc always has hated Norton xD ... and I have a full NIS License that I will never use, somebody want to change it :p ?

10. Pleonasm

I don’t see myself as “obsessed” about having a malware-free PC, but I do take reasonable and prudent precautions. (I also would not put myself on a "pedestal.")

From a practical perspective, I often (sometimes “daily,” sometimes “occasionally”) launch one or more PC maintenance tasks before the lunch hour, such as defragmentation and/or malware scan and/or offsite backup and/or image backup and/or search indexing (dtSearch), etc. When I return, the task(s) are done. As compared to letting the PC sit idle, running such tasks seems sensible. There is no lost productivity and there is no inconvenience -- so, why not do so?

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

That's the most sober things anyone has said on Wilders for a while. Excellent point.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You have quite a few security apps in your signature. Were you running all of those along with NIS? In particular I don't think you could successfully run Online Armor and NIS together.

13. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

I unnistalled online armor when I tested NIS, I just kept Spybot, Spywareblaster.
    shadow defender and sandboxie are on demand only, so I don´t think a compatibility issue with another security app could be an option to my case :blink:

14. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

I've had a test with NIS 2011 and Online Armor free 4.5.0.234 using Windows 7x64 and it seemed fine.

Once NIS was installed, the NIS firewall was disabled and each other program directories that I could find was added to their own exclusion lists.

Quite a good combo NIS 2011 & OA free, as supposedly the NIS firewall isn't very good and OA free has hips etc.

15. pabrate

Why do you think NIS firewall isn't very good ?
    IMHO, it's one of the best I've tried. Based on WFW , doesn't use driver, great Intrusion Detection, customization of every aspect...
    Auto-Control is good but I prefer custom set of rules.

16. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

Has it been improved much from the 2010 version, have they included a hips feature with 2011 ?

I've read reviews from previous versions where they say it isn't very good, and the 2010 version didn't do very well we in the matousec test, if you consider that trust worthy and I think thats mostly a hips test anyway.

But having a quick look at the 2011 version, as you say it seems pretty good. Although i'm no expert ... but doing some windows tweaks, the NIS 2011 firewall is alerting me to the windows changes that i'm doing.

17. pabrate

I think that firewall is the same in both 2010 and 2011 versions (not sure but I can't see anything different)
    It always had HIPS in it , if you disable Auto-Control and enable advanced system monitoring you can see it in action.
    If you disable Auto-Control and leave Advanced System Monitoring disabled , you will see one feature of HIPS anyway, when program for which you have firewall rules has changed, it alerts you that it's changed.

18. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

With Insight and Sonar 3 we dont need a strong hips. Don't forget that most users don't have the knowledge to answer hips alerts correctly.

But that is just my opinion.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree with you. And considering 99.9% of the programs and activity on my PC are safe, I don't want to be bothered having to "allow" safe programs.

20. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

The default settings of Firewall of NIS2011 are already good enough? I need to change anything? o_O

Thanks! :thumb:

21. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Anybody knows when Norton 360 5 will be released?

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Generally 6 months after NAV/NIS have been released (about March/April 2011)

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just depends on whether or not you want to manage program access to the NET on an individual basis. Personally I feel there are enough safeguards built into NIS 2011 to leave the firewall in auto mode, but that's anecdotal. You could read the PC Mag review which I believe includes a section on the firewall.

24. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thank you for your response!

I understand some firewall, but I'll leave it the same automatic, because I was never disappointed.

Thanks again! :thumb:

25. pabrate

I have it on automatic but I change some rules after they are created.
    It's really great firewall :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.