Nice update change in 4.0+

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by MikeBCda, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Since I didn't play with the beta of 4.0, I was pleasantly surprised this week to discover a new feature. If you check for updates, it will now find and install any new cumulative defs and clean out included incrementals, which 3.5 couldn't or wouldn't do. Saves a lot of hassle checking on-site for those.

Thanks to the ewido team, nicely done. :thumb: :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Sorry Mike, can you please explain what you mean exactly? I don't understand yet I think. Not your fault but more mine :)

Gerard

3. MikeBCda

Hi Gerard,

No prob. As you (probably) know, ewido uses incremental updates, which are typically quite small and quick to download/install, typically 2 or 3 K, and 10K is a huge one. So you accumulate more and more def files.

Every once in a while ewido will come out with a "cumulative" def update, a single much larger file (this week's was something like 2 or 3 megs, if I remember) which in effect contains all the data in previous incrementals. And of course on most systems, one large file will usually take up a lot less disk space than the same data in maybe a couple of hundred small files.

Clear as mud now? ;)

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I stopped using it because of that annoying registry bug.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Yep, thanks, as clear as your first post :D
    Because I think nothing changed in that respect with 3.5, there were also every now and then the "big"updates.
    Cheers,

Gerard

6. MikeBCda

Under 3.5, on my system at least, a check for updates would always just add to the collection of incrementals even if there was a new cumulative. 4.0 nicely gets the new cumulative, if there is one, and cleans out the old collection of incrementals included in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.