Nice program to save notes, emails, texts etc.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Hi, here's a program i have just started to use for keeping notes, i used to just make a txt or rtf file and name it something like "Things to do" but, i'll use this from now on :)
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/treepad.html

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hello ICE!

I'm still working myself through all the freeware you listed recently. :)

I used to be a huge fan of Keynote. I still am - it's a great program - I just found a program a couple of years ago that I have fallen in love with. It's very similar, but far more powerful without being "too much." It's called "TexNotes"......Here is a link........scroll down past TexNotes PRO and DOrganizer.....and you'll find regular TexNotes - now in Version 3.6. I've been using it since 1.5 and it's one great little program. You'll find the tour is VERY extensive. It is not free, but it has a 60 day, no-nag, fully-functioning trial. VERY impressive. In fact, I showed it to a man in an airport while we were waiting for a flight (he was using Microsoft's OneNote) and by the time I was finished, he had called his secretary and was having her order TexNotes! OneNote is way too much with so many bells and whistles as to be downright complicated. Oh, here's the link, remember to scroll past the "Pro" version (doesn't have that much more):
    http://www.gemx.com/index.php

I'll be curious to know what you think!

Gerard

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Gerard. i'll have alook, but as it's not free i'm not sure i'll use it, i only need something very simple to replace using a txt file, and i like treepad. so far i only have "things to do" in it :D also, i have a calendar, reminder, countdown program i use too.

i just had alook and i can't find any screenshots. do they have any?

off topic, but i am just about to install "send to toys", it's one of those right-click send to programs, a simpler version to the one i think you have.

EDIT OK i just found the screenshots. it does look good, but it's more then i need

5. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

Thanks for tips on file/note organization.

Send To toys is a handy utility - think you'll like it.

Slim

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Ice, Gerard, Slim,
    Yesterday my eye fell on this topic and believe it or not I downloaded TexNotes Pro to try it out. :p
    :) Wow ... thanks for the tip Gerard. This is definitely a keeper.
    All those PSP lessons in HTML can be imported and it does it without a glitch.
    And not to mention all the saved answers to repeating topics and much much more.

I also have Keynotes installed since I mentionned it in Ice's Notepad topic,
    but TN can do more. Of course it's not free, but you get a 60 days trial period.

My conclusion: I'm going to buy this. :D

Thanks again for the tip. ;)

7. LockBox

Hi Eldar!

You'll love it. I've been using TexNotes for a long time now and it just amazes me. It seems to be able to do so much without it being so scrambled and complicated like OneNote. Have you tried the click-through method of creating a GemX e-book yet? So easy! It's a great way to keep a copy of whatever you are doing. It creates a fully self-contained executable version of your TexNotes database - without the need for the program! I have created tutorials and sent them to friends who always ask - "How did you do that? That's too cool!." I never tire of promoting TexNotes.

You'll also find that Peter Brooks, the creator of TexNotes is one super-intelligent guy. That whole website (GemX) is massive - and I've never seen a spelling or grammatical error. They are based in Lelystad, The Netherlands and are proud of all of their programs. Their DoOrganizer is really nice (basically TexNotes with an advance PIM), but more than I need. I plan to stick to TexNotes.

Another thing I have mentioned on this forum is their unique support. You are assigned what basically amounts to a "personal support locker." When you sign-in, your downloads are there to re-download, all updates to your programs, all responses to questions from tech support. When there's a new version available, you just sign-in to your locker and your download is ready. It's very, very nice. It's clear they go all out to make sure customers have a good experience with GemX and I've always appreciated that about them.

I'm glad to hear someone else appreciates this "Gem" as much as me! Enjoy!

Gerard

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi again Gerard, ;)
    I'm already in love with it. :D Haven't tried the click-through method yet, but I certainly will once I know the program a little better. Two days isn't enough to know all the features of this gem. :doubt:
    Already imported all the PSP lessons, repeating quotes and documentation.
    Really impressive. :cool:

Thanks for the additional information, I appreciate it very much.
    I surely will enjoy discovering all the features and tips. Already bought it yesterday. :rolleyes: :D ;)

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TexNotes seems a bit pricey to me -- $35 to $50 depending on which version you buy. Also, it seems they will charge for future upgrades. Wow!

By just a cursory glance (I repeat - cursory) the majority of its features are available on freebies such as...
    Keynote and TextArranger.

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Pricey? I don't mind paying their price for something which does what I want it to do. I'll even pay for their upgrades.
    Already bought enough software as it is, also use freeware, but Keynotes (although a fine program) doesn't offer these features.
    Almost every company charges for future upgrades between version numbers, so that's no exception to me. It's common practice. ;)
    RegDefend however is Lifetime, that's really a bargain. :cool:

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Geez, you guys are killing me! Lol, so many great apps to buy, so little money :( I think I'll have to go with KeyNote for the time being.. although I use WinOrganizer for general notes, journal type entires, etc, but I want to keep some stuff separate from that. WinOrganizer is a great one that I highly recommend, never thought I'd use a PIM before I found it :) http://www.tgslabs.com (no encryption, though) They also have a nice note program, too..

12. LockBox

Eldar,

I just remembered something! The e-books aren't even a click-through wizard anymore...check this out.....And by the way, I don't use it as an "ebook" per se, but as a fully portable, self-contained version of your database that is self-executable. Try this and be prepared to be blown away - I've never seen this in a notes program and I've tried a bunch!.....Under "file" there is simply a selection called "Publish To TexNotes eBook"......bang....you have everything in a single self-executable to take with you. Slick, slick, slick. I use it often and it - alone - is worth the price of admission. I'm like you when it comes to software. Free is great and there's some great free software out there, but to me, when one like this is so right for me - I don't mind paying in the least for professionally coded software that just does its job very, very well.

13. bellgamin

In connection with my websites I have a growing collection of quotations in a Keynote file. If you are interested, send me a PM & I'll set it up on a download for you on one of my websites.

There are quite a number of KN add-on's, FAQ, databases, and so forth HERE, and also HERE. Plus if you post a request on the Keynote forum, some of the other users might have some useful tips & databases for your consideration.

Since Keynote isn't merely freeware, but is Open Source as well, you will also find added support & information on Source Forge's Keynote Project pages which start at THIS page.

aloha from Hawaii..... bellgamin

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You know, if you used KeyNote with EssentialPIM (http://www.essentialpim.com/), you'd have some pretty powerful personal information managment, for free :)

Bellgamin: Thanks! Open source is almost always the way to go when available, IMO. Looking through KeyNote, I think it'll actually take a little while to really learn how to use it to the fullest.. Between the databases, plug-ins, and features I think this'll keep me happy for a little while. :)

15. memory dude

memory dude Guest

I think open-source is important too in security software. For a notekeeper I don't think it matters at all. That said, I use Keynote and have since about 2001, but I have to say that I downloaded the program Eldar and Gerard have talked about and am fairly well impressed right about now. My big problem with Keynote is lack of updates, version 2 has been promised since 2003 and development is pretty dead right now. Marek and the developers are nice people but it's just a very slow process. It was last updated in November of 2003 and for an open-source project that's pretty bad. There's also very little activity, which is too bad because it's really a good program. I have used some of the third-party plugins and databases and it's fun. But this Texnotes program is Keynote on steroids and its all right at your fingertips. I don't usually pay for software, but will consider this. I like that you can import Keynote files right into Texnotes Pro. But for free, you can't go wrong with Keynote. If you are going to stick it out with Marek, participate in a forum for the program. It's not as busy as it once was, but there are still some posting there - http://www.tranglos.com/forums/phpBB2/ .

16. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks for letting me know Gerard. ;)
    Tried it out and wow ... it works like a charm.:D It's really a gem and worth every price they ask, although it's not that much for me anyway for that kind of professional software. IMHO
    Exactly my thought. :)
    I did have a problem with my purchase. :doubt: I received my confirmation email to download the full version, but I was in a hurry so I didn't pay attention to what I was downloading. Upon installation I saw it was BookMarkHit. Really nice app for collecting/organizing all your bookmarks.
    Like memory dude would say: "But this BookMarkHit program is Jetlinks on steroids" :D
    Immediately I send an email to their support adressing this problem. 20 minutes later I received a response that the human error had been corrected and that I could download the full version.
    That's really priceless to get that kind of support. I'm still waiting though for a response to my question what to do with BookMarkHit.
    One more to buy after exploring the possibilities or ... :D
    Nice app Notok, although I use Palm Desktop, which is also free. You don't need a Palm device to use it. :cool:
    Like you I'm also very impressed with it. Used KeyNotes for a long time, but its development seems to have halted. :(

17. bellgamin

Updates to Keynote? Uhh, here's a tale that comes to mind...

A fellow named Fred lives in Hawaii. Shortly after Fred retired, a friend asked him, "So now that you have plenty of time on your hands, I guess you'll do a lot of traveling."

"Travel?" replied Fred looking surprised. "Why should I travel? I'm already here."

18. memory dude

memory dude Guest

If Keynote had "arrived" (and while I used it and enjoyed it - it clearly had not), why have they been promising a Version 2.0 for almost 2 years? It lacks a lot of things that some of the other programs have. It's not a perfect program that can rest on its laurels. If it were, they would not have been promising 2.0 for so long. Like what?

- Images in notes
    - Better support for printers (doesn't work on many of the new printers)
    - A simple spell-checker
    - no .eml email support
    - MANY numerous bug fixes

Arrived? I don't think so. I don't even think Marek would think such a thing.

19. bellgamin

My granddaughter prefers Text Arranger. Have you tried it? Lot & lots of buttons, & it has some nice features not found in KN.

As to my remarks about the price of TexNotes -- it has nothing to do with whether one can afford to pay $50. I could *afford* to pay $50 for TexNotes, but doing so would provide me with solutions for which I have no problems. Nor do any of my clients & students who happily use KN. Except my granddaughter. As noted above, she took the road less travelled. I post a screenshot at her insistence.

It's good to see Marek finally showed up to post on his own forum.

Attached Files:

20. memory dude

memory dude Guest

Interesting little program. It has this look I always wonder about. I know nothing at all about programming, but what kind of code is it that gives the "look" something I call a "Windows 3.1" look? Anyone know? There is a certain programming code that ends up giving the finished application an interface look very similar to Windows 3.1 days. Thanks for the shot of Text Arranger, Bellgamin. Just curious, how does your granddaughter use the program? School? Work? Personal?

21. bellgamin

School. The screenshot depicts a portion of her first output from using that program. Namely, she transferred the program's help files into a database. Why? Because the help file's own search mode is rather weak, whereas the Text Arranger's database search engine is relatively powerful. She mainly did this bit of cut&paste for the sake of her several friends who (whom?) she goaded into using this program.

22. iceni

iceni Guest

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.