Nice Job Webroot!

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Rompin Raider, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Something must have gone wrong with their simulator. Webroot usually doesn't worry about tests, only about real stuff. Those of us who use it are used to it dying in tests and flying in reality. Somebody check those numbers or something.

100% pass for Webroot is weird and honestly, knowing how the tests work like I do and knowing what stupid hoops security programs need to jump through to pass them, I hope this doesn't bode badly for real life performance.

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey Techfox,

To answer your concerns: I don't see how an excellent showing in any legitimate security test is a bad thing. :isay:

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We haven't changed anything regarding prompts/etc. so I wouldn't be worried about any compromise of the principles we've established within WSA.

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Also impressive catching all the Zeus samples.

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Is webroot still considered a companion av? I can't find anything regarding this on there site :doubt:

7. cohbraz

cohbraz Registered Member

Although it can be used as a companion AV, it also works quite well by itself.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow nice job a bit sad to see eset's results but awesome job.

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I think when Webroot aquired Prevx they switched their focus to being more of a stand-alone security solution. However, they still can be combined with nearly all other security suites (except for Bitdefender...).

Recent tests clearly shows that WSA can be used stand-alone and there's no need for another real-time anti-malware solution.

10. sturgess

sturgess Registered Member

shadek "Recent tests clearly shows that WSA can be used stand-alone and there's no need for another real-time anti-malware solution."...that's my problem, I have WSA but I also want a Prevx for that day when WSA misses something.

11. sturgess

cohbraz " Although it can be used as a companion AV, it also works quite well by itself."...point me in the direction of any security provider who believes their software can coexist with WSA.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

But do you understand WSA's methodology when it comes up against an unknown threat?

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Generally speaking, they won't because it's the competition to them.

Having said that, although not specifically mentioning WSA, Emsisoft Anti-malware also claim to work alongside another AV. (https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/Knowl...atible-with-other-antivirus-or-firewall-tools) I am aware that these days most people don't use that program along with similar software though, but the point stands that they're saying their program is compatible with other security programs.

14. sturgess

Hi TonyW, NIS + Prevx was the dream team, now I'm looking for WSA +, but I can't find the + :(

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

In my view, you don't need anything else- it is that good.

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

MBAM Pro is a good realtime program that is meant as companion software ;) And the license is a lifetime license.

17. sturgess

I've tried the trial version in the past (still use the free version), but the only review I could find gave it top marks for cleaning up, and a thumbs down for protection.

18. sturgess

That's what they all say ;)

19. justenough

justenough Registered Member

"BOTTOM LINE
    Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus is tiny beyond belief, yet it achieved perfect scores across the board in my malware-blocking tests. It also did a very good job cleaning up malware-infested systems. This impressive product shares our Editor's Choice honor with Norton AntiVirus 2012."
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393678,00.asp

You don't see other AV companies telling you to use WSA? I'm not sure why you'd expect them to do that. Unhappy at not having Prevx to back up WSA? You do know that Webroot bought Prevx and incorporated it into WSA? You saw a test where Malwarebytes didn't have a great score on detection? Then use it just for removal, it's a great program. If you have WSA installed and an up-to-date system image stored off the computer, you'll probably be okay trying any of the top AVs until you find one you like to go with WSA.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  20. justenough

Yeah, WSA doing good in a test? What's up with that? ;) Let's hope it's not a sign that WSA was off that day and more that MRG actually knows how test WSA's unique methods of protection. Nice to see these results Webroot, good going.

21. sturgess

"You don't see other AV companies telling you to use WSA?" Where in my original post did I suggest they should ? . " You saw a test where Malwarebytes didn't have a great score on detection? Then use it just for removal" I do, read my post again. "you'll probably be okay trying any of the top AVs until ...." probably ? "Webroot bought Prevx" I know :D

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It has very good results here:
    http://www.mrg-effitas.com/current-tests/flash-test-results/

23. sturgess

24. justenough

sturgess #11: "point me in the direction of any security provider who believes their software can coexist with WSA."

My point about MBAM was the part you left off in your quote, that it's a good program, even if you thought it wasn't good at detection, though that seems to have changed now that you've been shown a different test.

Yes, "probably". How safe you'd be depends on if you know what you are doing on the computer. Do you want 100% assurance you'd be safe? Doesn't exist in the real world.

sturgess #10: "that's my problem, I have WSA but I also want a Prevx for that day when WSA misses something."

Those 4 things seem to come from a communication problem. Could be you, could be me, could be both of us, I don't know. But my first post to you was trying to be helpful, I'm sorry it wasn't useful to you. I certainly don't want to argue over unimportant things if we can avoid it.

25. sturgess

Hi, your post was indeed appreciated and I would like to thank you for it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.