Next nod32 update

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Im adding a comment in reference to a previous closed thread.

When I first bought nod, I was upset because of the funky bugs I found.... and its because of people willing to eat a half baked pie rather than waiting for the final product!!!
    I try to turn eveyone I know onto NOD now because I like it so.. but I have to warn them that its a bit confusing and complicated to set up!!! But once you get it... its done!..
    I always offer to help them......
    I don't want the next version to just be another set of complicated issues mixed up into different areas.....

If everyone gets so excited about an update that they force nod to release it before its really ready.... then NOD's staff's time is "really" tied up with all the bug calls and frustrated people expecting the thing to work perfectly? "

When I buy a product... I expect it to work properly within reason.
    I don't want it to be so buggy that I feel like I'm runnig a beta?

If there are those of you who are bored and just want something to do... them please ask to be a beta tester!!!

My vote is to wait to do it right....then all you will need is fine tuning!

True, Nod could hire more people... then the price would go up too?... Is that ok?

The problem is everttime there is an update.. the bugs are updated too?
    Or at least, you get a new batch of them!

I appreciate products that wait to do it right, rather than secumb to the pressure of being the first guys out on the block with a new thing.

No where else do I see so many updates so frequently as nod in order to keep our dat files updated. Many times two or three times a day!!! Somebody is burning the coal lantern at night to come up with that?

That in itself is worth gold.

I too would like NOD to come out with an even better version every week!!!... but only if the improvements outweigh the new bugs that will come!

Mcafee and Nortons do a "reasonable job and finding viruses.... but really suck bad and stealing system resources....and their hieurstic leave much to be desired too!..
    I have been to some unsavory places on the net... and NOD protects me everytime!!!!!

Keep up the excellence NOD... don't lower your standards......

Lets get real here for a moment..... how often does Mcafee or Nortons actually come out with a new version?
    And when they do.. they want to charge you all over again right?

2. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

If you are referring to def's, KAV does it 8 times a day. That's not just checking for updates, that's actually downloading updates.

Neil

3. windstrings

May be true.... I tried KAV for about 2 days before I tried NOD..... it seems what I didn't like was KAV was pretty slow.

I have absolutely no compatibility problems with nod while installing or running programs or games.... seems KAV was buggy... at least from what I remember.

KAV may be an exception to the norm of the big AV giants who have fallen asleep.... but If I remember right KAV had such an enormous database that they also scan for viruses that are caged that we may never get... whereas nod goes for the "in the wild" virues... the ones that are loose and may get you!...
    and the code they use is slower than NOD., forcing it to use more resources to do the same job.

I appreciate a through AV that I can't even tell is running!....

How much money do I spend to get the fastest, meanest, and most streamlined system I can afford?..
    I buy fancy coolers so I can overclock if I want?
    Then I spend hours tweaking and installing and maintaining programs to keep "crap" off it that would slow it down, like trogans, pest, and the like?

Then to loose all that speed because I must run an AV to obtain continuous real time monitoring?....
    I always thought that really sucked.... untill I found NOD.

I don't have to worry about such things!

I work in the medical profession.... things have to be right.. or someone suffers...
    I have learned to be intolerate of companies who produce crap, but market it well and so fool the public!

NOd is the other way around... they have an excellent product , but they could use some help in the marketing department!

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

allegedly...

(that it WILL HELP - web hosting and antivirus are different...)

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

ESET could release an update for each individual new signature but that wouldn't prove anything much would it?

Nobody said KAV didn't have more updates. In fact nobody mentioned KAV at all until you did.

I'm assuming that your a guest here in the NOD32 support forum because you're either a NOD32 user or because you've got a genuine interest in being of assistance to NOD32 users and not just because you feel people need to have it documented each time somebody makes a statement that you disagree with.

Me too and I believe it's a growing trend. People work too hard to throw money ant time away on something that they bought because it comes in a nice box but doesn't deliver what it says it will.

Exactly

7. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Nothing other than that they were on the job.

Actually, othe original poster stated:

I replied with the statement that KAV does update much more frequently. Just stating the facts. He hadn't seen it, so I highlighted it for him.

Nailed it on the first one.

I'll assume the same of yourself, and windstrings.

Neil

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Everyone has a favorite for differing reasons . Many updates is good . IF they are of value . A downloaded update containg say , one sig is not that big . So who knows . I like NOD because it is good at what it does . KAv is good . But MAN . The resources it pulls just to startup . Ouch . If KAV works for you , you will not go wrong . I will stay with NOD .

9. webyourbusiness

when is it time to update?

NOD32 checks hourly by default for any release in definitions - that's a possible 24 instances in a day when new updates can be picked up by your individual installation.... KAV throws out 8 updates a day someone said... are their ALWAYS 8 from KAV, or is that 8 possibles?

Depending on the signature size (incremental being smaller), the negotiation of the connection and associated TCP/IP headers might be more than the signature update itself in terms of bandwidth - if that's a consideration, then waiting for a second update before releasing a definition could be warranted - unless you happen to get caught by the virus in-between when it COULD have been release, and when it WAS released...

decisions, decisions....

fwiw - so far today we've had TWO single virus definition updates from Eset... Bagle.BA and BB... plus a regular sized update with several trojans, a root kit, a dialer and several other nasties...

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. windstrings

Yea.. its not even so much the money... I can make that back in a few minutes..... the real time invested is dealing with it in the first place.... expecting one thing ang getting another!.

One principle that marketing forgets is "trust" and respect... both of which are "earned". People will give you the benifit of a doubt to get you started if there is enough "hype", but if they find out different.. they'll walk away and never consider your product again, figuring they have already been burnt once and it won't happen again!!!

Now a days its all about putting in as little money as you can and finding as many suckers as you can before its discovered that there is no viable product!.. (without getting sued in the process), before they disappear or go bankrupt and open again under another name! -- >thats what low budget movies are all about!!!

We as people are only offended when we don't get what we expect if not better.
    When marketing hype builds something up (like say a movie your going to watch) and you go in expecting one thing and it lets you down... it can in reality be pretty good movie, but becuase you expected different.... your offended and the movie is ruin't for you? Well what do they care.. they got your buck right?.. wrong!.. they are gambling that their marketing hype is more powerful and has more influence than your word of mouth!!!

The marketing geniuses figure they already have your money by then.... and if they can get "enough" people to buy it... then the majic of peer pressure comes in. "if so many people are using it.. it must be good right?" -- > wrong! o_O Its still a bad product....
    Its an effective tool, but not right!... Microsoft uses it.. they hype and hype and hype some more before they release.... same with some movies you've seen... then when they release it.. the public come crashing in to buy like a bunch of crazed rats for an only piece of cheeze?
    Hey.. you can even reserve your copy in advance before you know what its like?

IT NOT ALL ABOUT IMAGE!!! As marketing believes!.. the image does not change the product!... The only reason that idea works is there ARE so many uneducated people who don't know any better... so they buy that product that is a piece of crap, but because they do well to get thier computer on successfully.. they don't know better!!!

"All about image" only counts if your a snake oil salesman and you intend to dissappear off the face of the earth and move on once everyone figures out your fake!

They are trying to get rich... thats what its all about!!! and impress their stock holders!

With NOD... It was pretty inexpensive and I didn't expect much.... but I was not only surprised "to the good", but I was delighted!.... thats when you walk out of the movie saying that was really cool!... because you expected worse!

NOD has built itself NOT with fancy marketing statigies, but with the power of the product itself!.... now if their marketing team can increase "exposure".. and make its existence known without too much hype.... the product will again sell itself all the more,and folks will be delighted! Because at least in America.. most of the real competition is just as vague and unknown... all the big boys in AV have gone to sleep resting in thier pile of money!

The main improvement I foresee with NOD, is a way to make it simpler to configure seettings without taking away all the cool tweaks for the advanced user.
    Literally an advanced mode and a default mode! But the default mode needs to be set to how ""most" users use it, NOT to how some technitian thinks it will be safest!.to avoid liability and extra phone calls!

NOD can get away with that because it IS safe!.... I run everything as thorough and as nasty as I can set it... and it doesn't slow my computer a bit and its totally compatible!.... I have about 10 gig of programs installed... only one being a game.

Keep it up NOD!!!

12. NOD32 user

I'll agree with every word of that windstrings.

13. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Well, unfortunately in this world, marketing is a trouble.
    I think is time to stop with things like:What do you like to drink: Coca-Cola.
    Antivirus: NAV.

I like NOD32 and the rest is rest.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

14. windstrings

Its a hard call.
    Marketing in itself is good. People are in funky frames of mind at certain times and need to be reminded of thier priorities and how much that "product X" is what they really want.
    The problem comes in when "product X" doesn't deliver.
    Its a constant game of studying human nature, and then exploiting it to the fullest!!! Ah yes the sweet smell of success!!!

well anyway.. enough of that dead horse!

I've never done it.. but I would like to make a poll of what preferences people would prefer for default settings? Also taking newbies into consideration.
    As for me.. I don't move mine around.... I set it for the fullest protection and leave it?

15. hollywoodpc

I think my point would be that anyone can say anything about their updates . I can make a program and promise you 30 updates a day . Does that mean anything will be there to download .? You are right . Decisions . I chose NOD and never looked back . tried many others too . NOD , to me , is the endall . Good luck in your quest . Sorry if I was not very good at explaining before . I try though .

16. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

It is really quite surprising what will come out of ardent fans of X product when you make mention of Y product. At no time was NOD downplayed, belittled, or even decried, but yet with the simple mention of an AV that provides more frequent up dates, people jump on the defense of their chosen program... It’s really an odd thing, especially when there was no attack.

Does KAV ALWAYS supply 8 updates a day? Well, let me ask you this; is there anything in this world that ALWAYS/NEVER does something? Simply put, no. But the overwhelming majority of the time, KAV issues updates in the range of 8 times a day. By default NOD is set to check every hour. By default KAV is set to check every three. You can alter both, so the ‘possible’ point is moot.

Neil

17. NOD32 user

The issue seems to be that even though people qualify the statements they make properly you still find it necessary to give the evidence of what they've already alluded to - the fact that they don't know about everything there is.
    Does KAV provide more or less updates a day than any other product? What do I care, I'm a satisfied NOD32 customer and if I'm looking for information on KAV I'll go to the KAV forum and ask for it.

18. windstrings

Yea.. your right... we all have chosen what we like for different reasons.
    We all have diff preferences....The ones I tried before going to Nod.. was
    1. Mcafee 7.0 and 8.0 "used the longest" but questionable protection and questionable use of resources. NOd found things it either wouldn't or woudn't clean, or said it cleaned and didn't. ....Boo... Mcafee!!!
    2. KAV "my first choice till nod" but uses alot of resources, not as fast as nod, but... excellent protection.. hueristics questionalble, when I tried it about a year ago.
    3. MKS_vir 2004 "my second choice till nod" but caused large programs to open slowly.
    4. Panda... never actually installed, but read tons of reviews.... ehh!
    5. Pc-Cillin.... same as above..
    6. AVG... good for free... no question..... but not worth using when 39.00 can get nod.

19. webyourbusiness

Perhaps there was no "attack" - but the implication is that 8 updates are better than fewer updates... if those 8 updates include all ITW viruses, trojans, dialers etc, then possibly - if they include a bunch of fictitious lab-viruses that no-one will ever encounter, then no... there is no benefit.

Anyone can send out updates - it's the substance of those updates that actually matters... and having said that, the fact that AH catches most ITW viruses before any signatures are developed is reason enough to keep faith in this product in my opinion... unfortunately, NOD32 does not ship with AH enabled - and regardless of what support implications there are, I think it should ship with AH enabled.

We're actually a bit of a victim of our own success here - we're found very easily on many search engines for nod32 - we get phone calls from OTHER RESELLERS CLIENTS needing support to install and configure NOD32 - even so, I'd welcome a more stringent default installation - along with many other enhancements - but on the updates, the current system works! Can it be improved - sure - but you seriously get your money's worth with the current system - any improvements are just gravy!

20. hollywoodpc

Ok . I want to make sure I did not upset you . If I did , I did not mean to . I was actually agreeing with you . I did not see anywhere in here that you were going off on NOD . I felt you were just basically comparing them in a round about way . I thought your observations were pretty good . Maybe I should go back and read them again . lol . I am cool with you . I think you are with me but , I could not tell based on that last post . I hope this has cleared any misunderstanding up . And BTW , KAV was pretty hard on my girlfriend's machine . Personaly , I do think that KAV is good at what it does . But , I want good all around . NOD is light , and damn good at what it does . And if you prefer KAV , hey , no problem . As long as you choose something top rated , you are ok . I would say something if you wanted to compare NOD to something like ViRobot . Then we would have a discussion . lol . Take care ok .

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It's not all that odd Neil....considering this is the Nod32 Support Forum. If you or anyone feel the need to discuss frequency of updates of AV programs....feel free to start a thread in our other anti-virus software forum Please.

22. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I like NOD a lot, but happen to disagree strongly with Eset's policy of mainly protecting against ITW threats. Who's to say that you won't be one of the first people to come across a new outbreak of an old "caged" virus. While Heuristics might protect you against it, it might not. If a definition was included, it WOULD be detected, no question.

I can't understand why a definition is not included when it is a known baddie. It's like having a known murderer walk the streets, just keeping an eye on them to make sure they stay out of trouble. Who's to say this murderer won't slip out of sight for a bit and commit another murder ?!

Enough of the analogies, I have read the statement by Marcos on why they have this policy, but I think it's a flawed policy. It's for this reason that I cannot bring myself to leave KAV at this time.

23. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

You obviously care enough to provide post after post about how you enjoy X product. Twas a great man who once said:

Sometimes, I wonder where he went...

Easy now, your percieved 'attact'/implication is what tripped you up. Nothing intended by pointing out the facts. You see, there is a large gap in what you read on the internet (text) and what was origninally intended. You are missing vocal tones (often interpreted as CAPS), intonation and body language. The next time you read something on the net, don't jump the gun on your reply. And don't feel slighted or in any way belittled in a response concerning Software. After all, it's just software. No one called you down, or insulted your significant other.

Hollywood,

You and I are on the same page. We're cool.

Bubba,

As a global moderator, I respect your oppinion. But as an Anthropologist, I study people, and oddities interest me. The reactions to a 'precieved' attack (in textual form none-the-less) are extremely interesting. My reply that seemed to excite a few here, came as a surprise considering that we are discussing software, and not "significant others". Software is something that few hold dear, and some cling to as if it were their last breath of air. Really now, what's up with that?

As to starting another thread, I did post in a thread about the frequency and expedience of NOD's Definition updates in this forum. Guess what... The same response. Go figure. Ardent fans called me down as if I said the emperor had no clothes. Apparently, they only want to give NOD the big stroke. Don't get me wrong, I'm a NOD user, and I use it for a number of reasons, but people need to take a big step back when it comes to software and leave the emotions out of it.

Sorry if I offended anyone with posting information about KAV's updates, but the facts are the facts and I didn't realize that we weren't allowed to speak of software other than the ones the people here have chosen...

Neil

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Neil,

Having followed many of your posts while moderating....I can assure you I appreciate what you have brung to the table in many of the past discussions\threads you have participated in.

Having said that....We as GM's attempt to do the best of our ability to moderate in moderation. Members\Guests almost always make our volunteered task easier with their demeanor in threads....but what I shared in my above post was not an opinion....it was a request....to stay within the boundaries of what this Forum was sat up for.

Let's also try to make this as simple as possible Please. We at Wilders Welcome open discussion....period. We are however in a specific product Forum where we would appreciate the understanding that this Nod32 Forum is for NOD32 version 2 antivirus topics and issues....not about other AV's. I personally do not feel that's asking to much and appreciate how for the most part this is adherred to by most Members\Guest sign-ins.

Regards,
    Bubba

25. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I like NOD a lot, but I´m thinking to test the trial security suite from Kaspersky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.