Newer versions of Returnil incompatible with Vista 64 bit.

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by caspian, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I used Returnil for a long time. I tried out the beta versions when you were first making it compatible with Vista 64 bit. I had to reinstall my OS a couple of time, but with some hard work on your part, I was so glad that you were able to create a version that worked with my Vista 64 bit desktops. I used it for a long time, many months, and it was so wonderful! Smooth as silk. Never a problem or issue.

Then a few months ago, maybe as far back as a year, I started having problems again. Blue screens, applications slowing down, and computer freezes. Just like it was with the first 64 bit beta versions. Finally, I had to uninstall it on my 2 desktops. Never had any problems on my Windows 7 or Vista 32 laptops though.

A few months ago after a long break from Returnil, and after a clean reinstall, I decided to give the newest version a try, hoping that maybe it would once again work. I wanted to make sure that there was no incompatibility with an antivirus or firewall, so I decided that since Returnil has an antivirus and windows has it's own firewall, that I would try Returnil again without them.

Right way, I started having the same problems that I had with the first 64 bit compatible Beta versions of Returnil. I would click on an icon, my browser icon, and it would not respond. I would have to click it again and it would take a long time. It was like my computer was sick or something. It just didn't run properly. So I uninstalled it and everything was back to normal immediately.

I then did some google searches for some earlier versions and was lucky enough to find a couple of them. I have a Returnil 2010 version installed right now. No problems. It runs just fine. But I don't know if this version has been patched to protect me against any newer root kits or any other new types of malware that may be able to bypass earlier versions.

I am wondering if adding the extra features over time has made Returnil incompatible with Vista 64 bit? And I have noticed a few posts here and there of people requesting a cleaner, simpler, more basic version of Returnil. I am hoping that this is something that you will consider offering. I don't want or need any extra features. I just need the virtual mode and maybe the antivirus. I truly hope that you will consider this because I can no longer use current versions of Returnil on my Vista 64 bit desktops. And I really hate that. I just hate it.

However, I can still use a 2010 version that I have installed. The rvsgui in my program files says 3.1.8774.5254. This is what I have installed right now.
    When I mouse over 2 other setup files that I have saved, I get these numbers:
    3.1.7662.5174 and 3.1.7662.5254. So I assume that the 3.1.8774.5254 version that I have installed is the most recent of the three 2010 versions. Is this correct?

I also have a setup file for this version, 3.2.10743.5462. Can you tell me how old this one is? I would like to use the most recent one that still works.

I have a newer version on my Vista 32 bit laptop and it works just fine. I do have 2 messages from Returnil advising me that there are newer versions, but I am afraid to update to newer versions because I do not have the setup file for the version that is now installed on that laptop.

Another question. If I bought a copy of Windows 7 and installed it on my desktop, do you think that this would solve my problem and enable me to use the current version?

Anyway, I hope you will consider offerring a basic version of Returnil. I would gladly pay for a clean bare bones version of Returnil that works with Vista 64 bit..... with just the virtual mode and antivirus.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi caspian and welcome back :)

We are looking into the Vista connection and it should be resolved in the new 3.3x series now in internal testing. In theory, there shouldn't be much difference compatibility wise with Vista 64-bit over Win 7 64-bit, but there are differences in the OSs.

You should be fine with RVS 2010 in the interim if REL14 is not working properly as you have noted. Regarding the 3.2x build you are asking about, check the change log for that build and the ones following it to know where that version is in the list.

As for the last build in the RVS 2010 series it is 3.1.8774.5254-REL which you have installed per your post.

It would probably eliminate the cause of the problem, but I can't say for certain and it is an expensive way to resolve an issue of this type before knowing definitively if Vista is the cause. Before you go that route, lets stay the course and then give the new 3.3x build a trial run to see if it resolves the issue.

Mike

3. caspian

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Mike. I will continue using 2010 until the newer version comes out. Looking forward to it.

4. caspian

Hi Mike. Just one last question. In the 2010 version, do I have an antivirus protection? And if so, does it work when Returnil is disabled?

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Yes, RVS 2010 includes the Virus Guard component that works regardless of the status of the Virtual Mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.