Newbie's queries on ver/10 Home

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Minette, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minette

Minette Registered Member

Hi folks! I can well do with some help in my first attempts to cope with the commercial version of Backup & Recovery 10 Home.

------------
    My Toshiba laptop consists of 3 primary partitions:
    - System (hidden) 1.4 gb
    - C: 455 gb loaded with Win7(64 bit)
    - Local Disk (hidden)9 gb (maybe where the Recovery is)
    -----
    I'd like to image my system with a view to
    a) recovering C: from an OS mess-up and loss of personal data
    b) recovering the whole hard disk in case of failure
    ------------

Q.1) Is *Smart Backup->Disk and Partitions* the right option to choose for imaging? Is this the option that does *sector by sector* imaging? (if sector by sector is appropriate for my case). Should I opt for *partition raw processing*? (not sure what that means).

Q.2) I've done a *Smart Backup->Disk and Partitions* both for my whole disk and for the C: drive alone and I've noticed something odd. On right-clicking the C: drive archive I have 9 options, including *Restore file from archive*. While right-clicking on Basic Disk 0 (the complete disk) archive brings up 6 options and *Restore file from archive* is also missing. So I can't restore single files if I image the complete disk?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

RAW processing is not required for simple regular backup. It could be useful in rare cases.

You need to run Smart Backup - Backup Disk or Partition. Then select the required partition\hard disk, set destination, archive name, etc. Once completed you will get sector-level backup of the selected source.

Restore file from archive option works with partitions only.

GO to archives tab, switch to "Show partitions" view just above the list of archives.
    It will show backed up partitions from the disk 0 separately and option to Restore from archive will be shown in context menu.

3. Minette

Minette Registered Member

Thank you so much for confirming my thoughts and clarifying the various points. There's quite a bit to take in at the start for someone not really computer-savvy like me, and your help is invaluable. I can now get on with it with more confidence. Cheers! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.