Newbie question : SSM and BOClean

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by doctormac, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

And WE SHALL BE THE FIRST TO GREET THEM USING DOS, WIN 3.1, 95 (16 BIT) ETC. and WINDOWS ME! They are DARING US!

PS, Doc, let me know how your BD Free 10 is doing.

Dave

2. doctormac

doctormac Registered Member

Dear Dave and noone_particular

First, regarding BitDefender ... I do have it "fired up" but have not been able to test it out with the eicar.txt file. I have plenty of the .com files floating around but somehow seem to have lost the set of 4 files provided by Eicar, one of which was the .txt file.

I tried to go to their site today to download some fresh copies, but only the top banners and navigation bars of their web pages pages are showing - the rest of the page cannot be accessed. I tried using both Sea Monkey and Internet Explorer. Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow.

What I have noticed is that when BitDefender first appears in the systray after a reboot, the icon is glowing a nice, bright red colour. Then after a few seconds it goes dull grey and if I hover my mouse over it, it tells me that some BitDefender modules are disabled.

Right ... now onto this horrible IPv6 thingie ...

Yes ... we WILL be ready for them !!! We (and all Win 98 users) WILL prevail.

I'm sure some of those wonderful Win98 fans over at the MSFN forum will come up with some answers. They have an ongoing project at the moment to get programs that can only work on NTFS systems installed on Win98! They have already had success with getting Firefox 3 (which does not support Win98/ME) installed, and posters have given details of other, non-98 supported programs that they have successfully installed on their boxes!

So. what's the problem with a mere little annoyance like an upstart IPv6 to them?

NOTHING! :D

Take care ...

Dr. Mac

UPDATE: I managed to get the files from the Eicar site. Problem was that their webpages have their own scrolling bars but as most wqebpages these days seem to be "wide" I didn't spot those scrolling bars at first because my 15" monitor cannot display the whole of these "wide" pages (without me having to use the bottom scroll bar to "move the page along")

Anyway, BitDefender is doing noting at all with the eicar.txt file. I've opened it, closed it, copy 'n pasted it onto my C drive, cut 'n pasted it elsewhere. I even copied the full eicar "virus" code from their site and pasted it into a new text document, saved it, moved it around ... nothing. BitDefender remains dormant (and its icon is still dull grey in my systray, and that is despite it having updated itself twice today, one of them requiring a reboot)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

BD 10 Free has only on access and proactive protection. Save the EICAR.TXT file to Desktom. Open Notepad. Under Edit, turn off Wordwrap. Save the Untitled.txt to Desktop. Ditto with Wordpad so that Wordwrap is off. Make sure that all features of BD 10 are running and that automatic updates are on. Reboot. BD 10 should lock the EICAR.TXT file. If not, try copying this file to another folder. If BD 10 free doesn't lock the EICAR.TXT file, see if you have BD 10 Free build 247. It should work because BD 10 is like a lazy cop who acts only when the bad guy on you drive tries to hurt someone. The EICAR.COM is not a harmful file. So why should BD do anything? Try downloading a very large file, and see if it's not slower because BD is scannig it.

Hope this works, if not repair BD.

Dave

4. doctormac

doctormac Registered Member

Greetings

Sorry I've taken some time to reply.

Some goons from British Gas managed to slice through the underground telephone cables when they were digging up old gas pipes. And as "only residential" customers lost their phone lines, there was no hurry to get it repaired! So, no phone line = no internet either!

I've tried to get BitDefender to zap the Eicar file but to no avail (yes, I followed all the tips and tricks and did a repair) What I have decided to do is to keep it on my box as an on-demand scanner which I will use once a week as a back-up to Avast which I've got "always on"

I'm happy with the security setup now ... Kerio, SSM, Avast AV/AS .. and the once a week backup scan from BitDefender and SUPERantispyware.

Thanks for all you interest and help folks. As always it's appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dr. Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.