New user: couple usage questions

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by 00564465546, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 00564465546

00564465546 Registered Member

1. Is there a difference between the download think they provide and the trial version? If not then why do they offer extended download for extra money?

2. Do the system restore snapshots keep or are they automatically deleted after so much time like the Windows system restore ones.

3. Looking over the features is it common practice to boot into virtual mode by default having set the "Exit from virtual mode:" to save all changes. Then switching it to drop the changes if something undesirable happens and rebooting?

4. How well does the anti-virus stack up against others like Microsoft security essentials?

5. Are there any issues using Bitlocker full disk encryption?

Edit:

6. Anyone else get concerned by the interface looking like scareware/fake anti-virus? lol maybe its just me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi 00564465546 and welcome to the forums :)

1. There is no difference in the installer where the full version and the trial are concerned as the registration server controls the available feature sets through the registration process. The extended download option (and it is an option) is a service our commerce provider offers as opposed to something we asked to have included.

The service is mainly for larger customers who may have a delay between license purchase and actual network deployment.

2. The Restore Points are kept in accordance with the default Windows preferences and amount of storage available for the snapshots. As the storage becomes full, the oldest RP is dropped to make room for the newest RP. This is a physical limitation to snapshots and images which can be alleviated by allowing more room for the storage if possible.

3. No, The save all changes option is an advanced setting that was added to accommodate on-the-fly changes for administrators in networks where the Admin knows exactly what will be saved to the real disk. One example may be to quickly update a user profile or add a profile to a client system without needing to release the virtualization and then make the changes.

IOWs - use this option at your own risk as you need to know exactly what changes will be made or you might end up saving something unwise...

4. We have been doing well in the VB100 tests and actually have consistently better performance than the stand-alone commercial versions of F-Prot AV due to our own AI/machine learning technology that is the other part of the VG.

5. We have not gotten any negative reports related to this combination but have not specifically tested it in the lab. I would suggest trying this in a VMWare, etc setting before moving to your production machine to be certain.

6. Hmm - the design of the interface was entirely and independently created in-house. If you have suggestions for improvement we are all eyes and ears as we value feedback regardless of whether it is negative or positive.

Mike

3. 00564465546

2. In windows 7 is there a way to disable automatic snapshots and only allow manual? This would make it less likely that a needed snapshot would vanish.

6. For one you should use the Windows windowing scheme instead of making it look like a toy... the easier it looks to use the more it looks like its a fake antivirus.

That may sound counterproductive but you don't need to have the interface looking like a tonka toy for someone that is interested in this type of product to use it.

Here are some links to illustrate my point as to how it looks like its something malicious.

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/google-says-fake-antivirus-software-on-the-increase
    http://www.med.upenn.edu/somis/security/fakeantivirus.shtml
    http://news.loaris.com/how-to-remove-antivirus-plus-removal/
    http://www.jumpstartmypc.com/blog/index.php/2010/04/07/when-you-think-its-too-late-avg-is-there/

That is just a 2 min Google search there are wayyyy more that look the same.

Here are some things for your team to ponder on interface wise
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6ha5rm87ySd6VebvbUInxw?feat=directlink

4. Coldmoon

2. Yes, but the easiest way to get to the settings is to open the RSS interface then click System Restore > Settings > Right click the volume shadow copy line and then click the configure button. This will open the Windows System Restore settings dialog directly after clicking ok from the UAC warning.

6. I see some of your points, but there is a reason why simple interfaces are useful for average Home users. Also where you show the advertisement, no advertisement should show and may indicate a damaged install; namely the database file. The only place the upgrade ad should show is in the free version.

Are you using any other security applications? If so, which one or ones? My suspicion here is that there was a minor block during the install or a glitch caused by some kind of interference with the process. Also, did you restart the computer to complete the installation?

Mike

5. 00564465546

You can have a clean a simple interface that no one would have trouble with... just clicking on some of the applications I have installed on my main system atm I really like the simplicity of the Microsoft Security Essentials layout. It is very simple and easy to use and very professional.

No other applications at all... that screenshot is from a clean install in a virtual machine that I created in order to test out the application.

6. 00564465546

I see no way to disable automatic snapshots or a way to even delete previous snapshots so that you can make room for the more important ones....

7. Coldmoon

To clear all current snaps in Windows, you simply turn System Recovery off, restart the computer, and then start a new series of restore points.

8. 00564465546

Not something I want to do... was hoping for a solution similar to rollback rx where I can manage individual snapshots.

What the main goal for me is to have 2 persistent snapshots. One that is completely fresh install and another that is the system configured the way I like it. This way I can rollback to a configured machine and start over from there without having to re-install and re-encrypt the drive.

If there is a way to disable automatic snapshot taking that would be ideal so I could take those 2 snapshots and stop there then just use the virtual mode for testing new things and when I need to I can start fresh.

9. Coldmoon

RSS/RVS is what has been alternately called Light Virtualization or Instant System Recovery and not a full blown imaging solution. This means the "snapshot" of the Virtual System is transitory, only lasting as long as the virtualized login session lasts.

This is beyond the scope and design of RSS and more in the realm of Acronis, StorageCraft, Paragon, and Horizion DataSys. We are however working on a solution in this direction, but it is still in development. The initial POC IS available however in the Returnil Multi-shapshot Utility beta, but it has limitations that may not meet your goals in its current form.

Another route you might look at is using VMWare, VPC, or Virtual Box where you can simulate the two states or (with VMWare) create multiple clones or snapshots at various stages of whatever you are doing. StorageCraft also does incremental images that may be of use here.

The System Restore feature in RSS is based on the native Windows Shadow Copy service with extra support for recovery of specific files from the previous machine state as well as being able to have selected snapshots scanned by the Virus Guard component prior to implementing to check for malicious content. This however is listing out the Restore Points and backups you already have which makes it easier than the native Windows feature to decide which snap you want to use for a restore.

You can turn this feature off in RSS, but it would not acheive the goal you are seeking here. I would suggest trying a VMWare (expensive) or VirtualBox (Open Source) before making a decision to see what works best in your environment.

As for "just" using the Virtual Mode feature, sure, you can do that but you miss out on the rest of the features and their benefits regarding overall security.

Mike

10. 00564465546

Multi-Snap Shot seems like it would work but it crashed my VM so doubt its even close to ready.

After messing with RSS more I realized it doesn't do what I thought it did. I thought it reversed all changes to the system on a restore because I tested Windows system restore on removing some installed programs and then tested Returnil and Returnil seemed to remove all the changes where the default Windows system restore did not.

Is it possible to get a refund so I can get RVS not RSS since it doesn't do what I thought it did. I purchased 3-year RSS :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.