New user and having difficulty identifying what is goo and what is bad

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by indycc211, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indycc211

indycc211 Registered Member

I have down loaded adaware and read most of the info topics. I have Win 98SE and don't understand the way to identify what I should and shouldn't check in the program to delete.
    I am not really proficent in computer but with details can follow directions. (have tried to find the list of bad guys and still am having dif. in using the program). Any help would be greatly appriciated. o_O

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

adaware is a good start now to this ya need at add and antivirus anti trojan firewall also might wanna concided cookie control program there are a few other things ya might wanna comcider to but i cant remember what thay are just now here are a few addeys of apps to look at all are free

Zone alarm - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/freeZADownload/freeZADownload.html

Adaware - http://www.lsfileserv.com/downloads.html

Adshield - http://www.adshield.org

Ie spyad - http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

Popup Stopper - http://www.popupstopper.net/PopUpStopper.exe

Visual zone - http://www.visualizesoftware.com/visualzone/visualzone_download.htm

AVG - http://www.grisoft.com

as for how to id bad guys just ask this is my app tryin to phone home olter my settings hijack my compuer profile me or genrialy anyother behaviour other that what ya program is serposed to do if the answer is yes then the chances are ya just IDed a bad guy

- added URL tags to one of the links

3. indycc211

Thank you for the start, I have DSL service and as far as the firewal item it messes with my 'puter's operating correctly.
    Your last para' was advising me to evaluate weather the program was benificial or not and I really don't know how to determine that.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Max.As Betrezen mentioned,an anti-virus program and a firewall are two programs to start with.Starting out on the internet is a learning experience,I was in that same spot less than a year ago.As far as beneficial programs.When you look for a free program(I do that a lot)always check the EULA(end user license agreement)or privacy policy.You want to look for ad servers,information that they want to collect on you.That's the spyware angle.As far as learning what programs are good and what they can do to secure your computer,this is a great place to learn about that.Watch the posts about programs and topics that you are interested in.The people here are very helpful.A site that helped a lot on programs that I needed was none other than the home page here at Wilders.The reviews and info. about security are very helpful.When I find a program and want to know about it,I ask in this forum.It seems that someone always has experience or a link to the info. that I need.Have fun and best regards.the Tester

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you tell us what things it has found, or maybe post a screen shot of the Ad-Aware screen for us to look at? We can advise better if we know what you are looking at.

Also - Welcome to Wilders, Max!! :)

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Max,
    referring to "AdAware"...I ran the program a while back and found that it detected needed files as well as "Spyware and Adware.
    I deleted ALL the files AdAware found and corrupted my winsock.
    On the other hand, when I ran SpyBotSD, I deleted all found entries and no problems arose.
    I'm not saying one is better than the other, but my experience leaves the impression that SpybotSD may be a little more user friendly.
    I would also recommend ZA Free as an entry level FireWall. A good place to start.
    Max...we've all been there...not knowing what to allow or dis-allow while using a FireWall. After a while you will figure out what should and shouldn't connect to the internet.
    If you are ever stuck....well.....just come back here !! :D

regards,
    bill

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Eyespy is right, in stating that removing everything can mess up things. That´s why you should always hit the backup button before clicking continue. But believe me when I tell you you want to get rid of everything Adaware finds. Some spyware just requires special attention in removing.
    So please follow LowWaterMark´s advice if you´re uncertain and post what has been found.

Regards,

Pieter

8. indycc211

Re:eyespy

hanks to all sofar in your hints and help items.
    I took your advise and installed spybotsd and (agree) alot more user friendly. So far I just deleted the cookines and so far no trouble. If I were to take your advise and delete the selected ones how do I find out where they were backed up. Am just leary of deleteing items (especially) registry ones.
    I believe I am on the way to safer 'putering on the net.
    Thanks again

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

When you click the backup button in Adaware, you can enter the file name and location for the backup yourself.
    The extension should be .awb though.

Regards,

Pieter

10. skivvywaver

skivvywaver Registered Member

I have found adaware to be one fantastic program. However DO NOT delete registry entries before uninstalling the offending program. That is what screwed up your puter. I don't know how anything can be more user friendly than adaware. Been a privacy nut and haxor since before it became popular to be such. Mind your manners, keep away from busting in places you don't belong and wipe your freespace OFTEN. It is OK to hack, not OK to cause damage or mess with crap you shouldn't. If you get a warning. GET OUT!!! Our govt ain't playing no more. Team USA

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Max.The back up feature is automatic.To restore backups with Spybot search and destroy,click on the recovery icon(a medical box with a red cross on it)on the left side of Spybot panel.If you want to know more about the programs that are detected,click on a detected item,then click on "description of this product" on the bottom of panel.If you don't want to detect registry things or usage tracks,you can disable that in Spybot.Click on "Settings">"file sets".Uncheck the box for "system internals"that is the registry check part."Tracks" and "usage"(the last two boxes)are for detecting/cleaning your internet history,cache,cookies etc.Hope this helps you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.