New Start-up

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by AlienVisitor, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienVisitor

AlienVisitor Registered Member

Good Morning,

ZA vsmon went out to lunch today and from what I read that is more the norm. I have removed ZA and on what appears to be a large number of recommendations I am trying to give LooknStop a try.

I am working 100+ hour weeks here so I do not have the time to read tons to try to get this to work - so I am trying the easy way out.

So: If anyone cares to give me a clue on how to get this working I would appreciate it.

Sony Vaio on LAN.
    Install LnS and my boot now takes 15 minutes. I am assuming it is having to time-out on every network request.

Once booted it runs ok - however I have no network access, local or internet. I am getting a IP from the DHCP server, which is weird - although it may just be using the last one - haven't checked the one out.

I am running Norton Anti-Virus and I think I saw that a patch is required when using Norton - please elaborate. Will this cripple Norton - or does it just fix some timing issue on the driver load?

If I can just get internal and basic web/mail to work I can work out the finer details over-time. The skill I have - time I don't :oops:

Thanks -

-Bob

2. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello AlienVisitor,

I had the same problem,when I had Zonealarm Pro,vsmon was blocking all my ports it came to the point of doing a partial reinstallion of Windows,Za Sucks,and so does there customer support,it been over five years and these pricks don't respond,sorry got a flashback from being an ex Za user.

I tried everything before reinstalling Windows but nothing worked,at first I tought it was LnS,but sure enough it was ZA,you can try all the uninstallers,but nothing worked for me,Za messed my hole computer and blocked almost every port on my computer,but LnS loads faster,loads web pages much faster,it's the best firewall I have every tried.ZA was a resource hog,plus I got hacked with the pro version,I would never tell anybody to even try Zonealarm it sucks big time!Over rated and it's never yours to keep.And hard to uninstall once its on your system or impossible!

So don't kill your self trying to fix your computer,what Za did to your registry ,a partial install of windows will fix you up,good luck

3. AlienVisitor

Howdy,

Actually, I did get ZA uninstalled just fine - it was LnS that would not run. After the installation of LnS my laptop took 15 minutes to boot and I had no network access.

I assume that if I get sometime to read all of the faq's I will get it - however, my problem now is time. So I am asking the basic newbie questions now or else I will just have to run nothing until I get the time to sort this out.

I am just looking to get basic internet with exchange. I did see the post regarding routers that was posted about the same time as my first post and I think that may be relevant. However, my extended boot time appears to be due to network time-outs and that would be systemic to my system. I suspect that the Norton patch is what I need but I am hesitant to just apply it unless I know what it is doing. Is it patching Norton, LnS, or my system?

Thanks,

-Bob

4. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hi Bob,

I understand that you have uninstalled Za,but the problem with me,was Za just messed up the registry,LSP were damaged after uninstalling,I was able to find a few open ports using some Dos commands,but most were blocked,I asked my Internet Provider at the time,and we did a on-line test,and he asked "do you have Zonealarm installed on your computer?" I told him I just uninstalled it,he replied at the time version 5.0 came out,and he told me "many people had to reinstall windows to fix this problem(Sorry but that was the case for many people),I am sure if you check the web you well see the problem I am talking about,but that may not be your case,but if you have tried everything else and LnS still won't work,it not to say it's LnS,But zonelarm,I know six people that has the same problem and many more in forums on the web that had to do the same thing it not fun!,but it fixed everything,it happens right after you uninstall ZA and when trying to install a new firewall,for some reason? The Tech's at Za never got back to me,ever!

I am not saying you are incorrect what you may think it could be,but from what you are saying it the same type of problem that I was having could not access the Internet,I was able to connect to my Internet provider sever,but the tech said there is something blocking your ports,so I spend days I tried everything,but nothing helped until I did a partial reinstallation of Windows,just trying to help you,and I know alot about Za and what problems it can cause,I am sorry if you don't believe this may be your problem,Za is all over the registry,I did the ten step uninstall,everything!!,but after reinstalling Windows LnS was not the problem.

If you can access the Internet and search the web ,download,email with no errors or problems,please disregard what I just said,hope you get to try Lns it is a great firewall,at a good price with great features.

Good Luck

5. AlienVisitor

Ah - I totally missed your meaning on your previous post - sorry! I am reading these quickly in a very noisy environment - not the best for clear thinking, (plus it is -20 degrees F here - I am getting too old for this cold!) Re-reading it with the proper context I now get what you were saying.

Just to clarify - my system functions just fine right now with no firewall installed. I can connect to all of the systems that I had been; some of which are using some strange portings.

Just to clarify - Did your system work fine - or did it not work fine after uninstalling ZA? If it did work fine but stopped working when you loaded LnS then I might have a similar problem and I will have to extract ZA further from my system.

If your system did not work after uninstalling ZA then I think we have dis-similar problems. Please let me know.

Do you know anything about that Norton patch. I am using Norton and I know it has a network montor service and I think that is an issue as well.

Thanks!

-Bob

6. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hi Bob

My system failed to work after uninstalling Zonealarm(access died the second after uninstaling ZoneAlarm,even without no firewall,I could not access the internet or email,for me a partial reinstallion fixed my problem,and it was a very big problem at the time,but once I did the partial reinstallion of windows,it fixed everything and LnS worked great as soon as I learned how to set the DnS rules allowed set-up,I was surfing faster than every before,sorry I can't help you on Norton,so you might have a DnS resoultion problem on LnS?,please check your ip configuration,are the severs correct in the rule-set.If not that where your problem could be.

7. AlienVisitor

Cool - I guess we have dis-similar problems. I still like the reviews, so I guess I will just have to run naked until I get the time to sort it out. I am, for now at least, behind a hardware firewall and router so I sould be ok for a while.

I was hoping it would run out-of-the-box, but that's life.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Bob,

The registry patch will fix the networking components load order, or so I understood. This should fix a problem with Norton. It should not have any impact except that LnS starts working as it should.

I don't have Norton installed, so I don't have first hand experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.