New SSD Fresh instal make it secure

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tiler, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiler

tiler Registered Member

Want to get this right as the world has moved on since my hunter days..they are long gone

Ok I have a new 128 ssd going into my laptop which will run Win7 ultimate.

The machine will be used for browsing the net and have some site building aplications installed.

There are so many pieces of software to ensure protection and erase footprints I am knee deep and the best configuration eludes me. How would you guys go about setting this up making it secure and most importantly the best way to chop up the hard drive and installation order

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Don't chop the drive and only have one big partition. Keep the empty space for the TRIM to work properly.

SSD are very good for reading, but slower on writing. Move your data to another regular hard drive partition, as changing data requires lots of writing.

With that much empty space on SSD, leave the pagefile.sys to be managed by Windows, thus reducing garbage collection while working, or you will have a very jerky system. Turn off hibernate and you will save lots of GB space.

Use the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology with iaSotr.sys, which is faster than ACHI.sys. Ensue that ACHI is enabled in the BIOS.

Best regards,

3. tiler

tiler Registered Member

Lost me with the last line.......you understand what you are talking about :)

Ok so do I encrypt the whole drive and if so do I do this before adding the os

Thank You

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

In the BIOS of your computer, the hard disk controller can be set to either IDE or ACHI. Make sure that you set it to ACHI before loading your OS.

Since you are using Windows Ultimate, you can use Microsoft BitLocker, which come only with Windows Ultimate/Enterprise. I am not sure about it, I believe you have to install OS first and then use BitLocker.

However, some people use TrueCrypt. I am not sure which one you want to use. I believe you can encrypt the drive before installing OS.

I never encrypt the OS, as it creates more problems down the line. Not so paranoid! lol.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.