New Restoration of an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vampyrus, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampyrus

vampyrus Registered Member

I was just wondering if anyone could help me.
    I have an image of my 40GB hard drive and I have just purchased a 200GB hard drive that I now have a 90GB partition on it which I wish to use for windows XP. Am I able to restore the image of the 40GB drive onto the 90GB partition or must it be installed onto a partition that is the same size as the one it originated on o_O

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello vampyrus,

No, it doesn't need to be the same size as long as the destination partition is larger than the in-use data contained on the original source partition/drive. However, make sure you image the whole of the original disk in order to ensure the MBR is included in the image. Also, depending on the partition layout of the original 40GB disk, you may be left with 50GB of unallocated space after the restore. In which case you may want to read an earlier reply of mine in this previous thread titled <New HD image from CDs> on how to recover the unallocated space without use of partition management software.

Regards

3. vampyrus

ok thanks

is there any other way to recover the other 50GB of unallocated space, for example using partition magic or anything like that or is the solution you pointed me to the only one there is ??

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Programs such as Acronis Disk Director Suite or Partition Magic will be able to recover the unallocated space very easily. The procedure I proposed is for use by those that don't have ready access to such programs.

Regards

5. vampyrus

okay cool,
    I have partition magic 8 but not acronis disk director

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.