New proposed Bill gives obama authority to turn off Internet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Chuck57, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't know if this is the right section for this. The PDF on the site sends you to the bill. More government trying to protect us from ourselves.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-bill-gives-obama-kill-switch-to-shut-down-the-internet.html

Paul Joseph Watson
    Prison Planet.com
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The federal government would have “absolute power” to shut down the Internet under the terms of a new US Senate bill being pushed by Joe Lieberman, legislation which would hand President Obama a figurative “kill switch” to seize control of the world wide web in response to a Homeland Security directive.

Lieberman has been pushing for government regulation of the Internet for years under the guise of cybersecurity, but this new bill goes even further in handing emergency powers over to the feds which could be used to silence free speech under the pretext of a national emergency.

“The legislation says that companies such as broadband providers, search engines or software firms that the US Government selects “shall immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed” by the Department of Homeland Security. Anyone failing to comply would be fined,” reports ZDNet’s Declan McCullagh.

The 197-page bill (PDF) is entitled Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act, or PCNAA.

Technology lobbying group TechAmerica warned that the legislation created “the potential for absolute power,” while the Center for Democracy and Technology worried that the bill’s emergency powers “include authority to shut down or limit internet traffic on private systems.”

The bill has the vehement support of Senator Jay Rockefeller, who last year asked during a congressional hearing, “Would it had been better if we’d have never invented the Internet?” while fearmongering about cyber-terrorists preparing attacks.

2. Prison Planet is a conspiracy site, it's not a reliable news source. Mind, this is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from our government, at this point; but still.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Yeah, I knew about Prison Planet, but the bill is out there, is real and if passed could do what they say. I don't think it has a chance. It's an election year, after all and the dems are already backpedaling on a lot of things in hopes of not being slaughtered in November - which I think will happen regardless.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Damn right is :thumb: and thank goodness it is there providing news and info/links/video etc etc to plenty of important articles and FACTS that effect our lives, the mainstream media CHOOSES to ignore.

Conspiracies are NOT the same as conspiracy theories. The first are true, the second might or might not be. Lots of conspiracy theories have turned out to be Very true, and alarming for all of us.

Search for, USS Liberty, Pearl harbor, Global warming, Chemtrails, just for starters ..............

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I don't like power mongers who erode American freedoms with every opportunity either, but the President turning off the internet is the least of our worries if the solar maximum of 2013 is the bad boy they reckon.

Devestating Solar Flare

6. katio

katio Guest

more like "US wide web" :p

7. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

8. katio

katio Guest

Who owns those satellites? NASA? :p

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I thought the Net could survive nuclear war, so how could an American president turn it off for the rest of the world outside of the continental United States? o_O

10. Searching_ _ _

Maybe they would send submarines around to all of the undersea cables and cut them.

11. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

The bill would grant powers enabling the internet infrastructure under the control of US companies to be switched off or otherwise controlled. This, unfortunately, includes some (probably the majority) of the core routers.

It would also include the mechanisms providing access to a lot of the major financial institutes.

It might be called the WORLD wide web, but it is, for good or bad, US centric.

CT :)

12. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Exactly....... Information control is what this is really all about!

13. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

And Obama himself recently said there's "too much information out there which confuses people."

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Maybe this is what it's all about:
    Julian Assange Article

15. Searching_ _ _

16. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I believe that SWANsat would own them. Whoever that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.