New prevx free version kills my keyboard (3.0.5.104 & 106)

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by tcyca, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkidza

pkidza Registered Member

This happened to me yesterday after Prevx upgraded itself to .106. I could not even log on. The only security software I have running with Prevx is Microsoft Security Essentials which I installed last week. I am bleak. It took a reload of Windows to get everything working again.

I use the paid version of Prevx with removal and full SafeOnline. My keyboard is a wired USB keyboard.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

"PXKBF.sys" doesn't guarantee that it is our file - there are some infections that have started using that name because we do. Our driver is in the 20KB range, while the others are < 10KB.

3. PrevxHelp

:doubt: I'm really unsure what would be causing this - do you know if MSE has any persisted log which would show information as to what it could be blocking? We have not made any changes to the keyboard protection in quite a while so it would seem like it is an outside program causing it instead of Prevx itself.

If you or anyone gets into this state, please contact support and we can walk you through correcting it - reinstalling Windows is not necessary and we should be able to find what precisely is going wrong once we find a user who is having the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience - please let me know if you have any further questions.

4. pkidza

pkidza Registered Member

I uninstalled VMWare sometime after Prevx had updated to .106 but before the reboot that broke everything. Does VMWare Player (version 3 - the latest from their site) have anything in it that could have caused this with Prevx?

Sigh. I wish I had contacted support. I am so used to the other Tech companies who don't really help you out.

Norton Safety Minder and Truecrypt were also running in the background.

5. PrevxHelp

This could indeed be the cause. We generally recommend disabling Prevx's protection when making large software changes like uninstalling VMWare. I suspect part of their keyboard filter is the conflict here. We're investigating this now and should have a solution within the next build to try to work around this problem occurring in the future without having to disable protection temporarily.

We do try as hard as possible to help every user possible - we even have users who come in with unrelated issues to Prevx and we try to solve those issues. If anyone else runs into this same problem, please contact us here or in our inbox and we'll definitely walk you through steps to correct it.

Sorry again for the trouble this has caused :doubt:

6. tjk925

tjk925 Registered Member

I had the same problem after un-installing Prevx 3.0 free version. All of my keyboard devices including my laptop's built-in keyboard would show up in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark.

I fixed keyboard input by inserting my XP CD, turning on the built-in on-screen keyboard to help with input, installing the Recovery Console, rebooting and following the steps outlined here (see first post). Phew!

The key here is
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config
    command in Recovery Console

When you reboot, all of your devices will show up without drivers, but the keyboard should work at this point. Just use the Update Driver option and have it search for the drivers that already exist on your computer for each device. Any Bluetooth and presumably other wireless devices will have to be re-synced. For example, you'll have to reinstall the Bluetooth Stack to get your associated COM Ports back.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  7. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Had the same problem as well. At the time I was trialing Defensewall. I ran the Prevx installer as trusted. After that, Prevx wasn't working properly (safe online would only enable in admin account). After uninstalling Prevx, keyboard would not work. I had to reimage the hard drive to a previous state. I have since gone back to Sandboxie but I have to admit am a little gun shy about installing Prevx again.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Previous versions of KeyScrambler free used to work fine. Later versions i and others had, suffered from various problems. Though at the time none of us were using Prevx as well.

I feel that due to possible overlapping features, using both together is likely to cause issues.

Having said that, i don't have KS installed any more, but using Prevx and Zemana together havn't given me any problems :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.