new installation

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by philip1, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philip1

philip1 Registered Member

Hello to all,
    New computer user here and I am clueless!
    I've decided to install FDISR and Perfect Disc to help me become less clueless by experimentation and trial and error.
    To further protect myself from my own mistakes-
    What 10 most important things should I do to prepare for the installation.
    Also, I would like a simple, no frills needed yet,
    image program to back up my entire PC (probably to an external drive) before I get started and possibly before each time I do some downloading of new programs and updates.
    The image program would need to hold dozens of images and be able to pick and choose any snapshot to go back to in case of future problems.
    please keep in mind FDISR's MBR thing and point and click for me.
    The slate is clean right now and I can do most any combo of software and external hardrive.
    Expense is not a factor, being clueless is.
    Here are some ideas I've had:
    Shadow Protect, Paragon Drive Back-up #8, Paragon Exact Image #7, Restore It, CMS-ABS plus, Drive Snapshot 1.3.
    Acronis and IFD-IFW seem to require more knowledge than I have right now.
    If the second half of this post is not appropriate here, I'm sorry. Please feel free to move it.
    Thanks in advance for all your helpful comments.
    Philip 1.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

And you say you are a new computer user and clueless o_O

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

An external harddisk for backup is a very good choice, not only for backup, but above all to test your restoration.
    You can also use your external harddisk for archiving/restoring your snapshots.

FDISR creates one snapshot, "Primary Snapshot" during installation and will suggest you immediately to create a "Secondary Snapshot" after reboot.
    Primary snapshot = your working snapshot = system partition as it was before you installed FDISR
    Secondary snapshot = your rollback snapshot in case something goes wrong with your working snapshot.
    So the absolute minimum = 2 snapshots and you can create 8 additional snapshots for any other reason.
    So the absolute maximum = 10 bootable snapshots.
    The number of archived snapshots = unlimited as long you have space enough to store them.
    That's how you start with FDISR.

Start with learning and UNDERSTANDING the copy/update function first, the most used function in FDISR.
    Rename snapshots and remove snapshots are also usefull.
    Also go through the settings of FDISR, because you will need them once.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

Concerning image backup, there are several possibilities and you mentioned the best softwares already in your first post.
    The bottom line is, that it has to work properly on your system without any problems. What works on somebody else's system doesn't necessarily mean it will work on your system too. Keep that in mind.

Test the restoration thoroughly, because that's the one, that will save your computer. Backup is the easy part.
    It also has to restore all your FDISR snapshots, including the MBR.
    The image backup software has to provide a Recovery CD or at least a Recovery diskette.
    Format your external harddisk like you format an internal harddisk.
    MOST IMPORTANT : do NOT move your external harddisk when it is ON and working.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  5. philip1

Hello Erik & WilbertNL

Eric, thank you so very much for your informative reply. This is invaluable information for me, for I fear a daunting task will be upon me soon. Never having backed up or imaged before, the restoration process seems an impossible task right now. I would consider myself very fortunate if you could advise me further. If so, would you mind sending me an email.

WilbertNL, I'm not sure how to take your comment. You have demonstrated computer skills beyond my comprehension. Are you familiar with the story about Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady? Care to give it a try? If so, I would very much appreciate an email from you.

I've been to Tulsa a couple of times, rodeo's, etc. I'm originally from Arkansas and had family in Fayetteville when I was growing up. (Uh oh, hope that didn't ruin it for me).

Thank you and kind regards to both of you. Philip (clueless) 1

6. ErikAlbert

philip1,
    How many internal harddisks do you have and do you have an external harddisk ? I assume you have at least one CD/DVD-writer ? Is your computer already installed completely ?

7. philip1

Hello Eric,

Yup, a ready built Dell XPS Raid,0, no external yet. Standard offering CD/DVD writer. Thanks for asking, Philip 1

8. wilbertnl

Aaah, so you could come over for a cup of coffee, then?
    The first 40 years of my life I spent around Amsterdam, by the way.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Philip, if you are a new computer user, I'd love to see your knowledge in a couple of years ... then you could come back here and teach us all how to REALLY use FirstDefense! :D

Acadia

10. philip1

Hello again Wilbert NL,
    Sorry for the presumption,
    Lots of good memories down your way.
    Been to Europe only once.Copenhagen. Father in law was a Dane.
    It was absolutly beautiful!

Hello Acadia,
    Doubt I'de be able to teach you guys anything new.
    For the record, I am with certain validity at the lowest skill level of all the wilders members.
    I think the computer is just an absolutly amazing tool.
    I have one. It's 2 feet away from me. It might as well be on the moon!
    I've come to wilders to try and close that gap.
    Can you all remember the endless frustrations, sweating brow, taking it out on the wife, the cats, because you feel so incapable, when others find it so easy?
    Can you?
    Well enough of that.
    Yeah, It's difficult for me but I'm not giving up.
    Although I have realized that I can no longer do it by myself.
    Will you all have me as a member?
    Will you help me?
    Philip1

11. ErikAlbert

Philip,
    It seems to me that this is your VERY FIRST computer : a pre-installed DELL computer.
    You know the front side of your computer and you found the ON/OFF button.
    You switched it ON, you found accidently MS Internet Explorer on your desktop and somehow you managed to become a member at Wilders.
    Is it that worse or do you have already experience with computers ?
    Are you able to re-install your DELL computer from scratch ?

12. wilbertnl

Philip,
    Where it concerns computer skills, I have learned most from my mistakes. Trying to understand my mistakes and fix them was my way to understand the options and limits.
    And I started with that right away, because then I didn't have a history of data to lose.

This worked for me, and maybe you have a different way of developing skills.
    All I can say from my own experience is: don't fear mistakes, use them to your benefits.

13. philip1

Good Evening Erik - I'm a little further along than that. Not a complete virgin, I did have another affair in 98. With some 3rd party help I'm up and running, took out some pre-installed items like McAfee, games, service providers, trial offers, etc. Also Windows Firewall.

This is a year old Dell with just a few simple hours on it. I am behind on updates, what are you guys doing about this WGA install, are you just accepting the download and letting it go at that? If it's OK to download, I still would not want to auto update.

I could not reinstall from scratch, I'm sure of that. I think I have a Rescue CD but not an original O.S. install from Dell. I think the risk/reward ratio is too high for me right now. For the learning tool I'm trying to create, am I really leaving behind that much if I don't reinstall? My experience is pretty much limited to i.e. browsing, simple installs and uninstalls of small softwares. Haven't Master Music/Photos/files or folders or most anything yet.

Thanks, Philip 1

Hello WilbertNL,

Thanks for the kind advice. I do have those fears right now. I can see why you questioned clueless. You're right, I do have clues, hundreds of them, that's all I do is read up on softwares and techniques and their pitfalls and setbacks that can and do happen. It's fearing those mistakes that's holding me back; I have great expectations for FDISR and Image Backup to give me that courage to get past this and allow me the idea of being all that you can be.

Sorry for the long response times, did I tell you that I can't type either? As soon as I can piece together this set of clues, Dragon Natural Speak or voice mail or video talk or, or, or will follow soon.

Thanks, Philip 1

14. ErikAlbert

I'm used to have an original "Windows Installation CD".
    I don't know anything about the "Dell Rescue CD" and it depends on what you can do with this CD.
    Did you ever investigate this CD and what you can do with it ?

Knowing how to install your computer from scratch is always a big advantage and it doesn't matter if you need it or not. That's one of the first things I learned on my computer. I was forced to learn it, because my computer was so infected by malware, that it didn't work properly anymore.
    That happened during my newbie time, unaware of any danger on the internet and those days are over of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.