new installation - no icon?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by beethoven, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hi Pepito,
    Did you try my suggestion?

2. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Apparently, Windows can load a bit too quickly for NOD32 on some machines. Using a password to logon can pause the process for just enough time for NOD32 to load properly. I haven't been able to prove this in practice... only from some clients feedback and just thought it was worth a mention.

Bandicoot.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I guess there has to be a first time for everything... ;)

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

@ ronjor: I tried the various suggestions in the thread. Either I had the pc already configured that way or I did not notice any change

however

the slow down via log on seems to help. This morning the control centre loaded normally. I am not yet getting out the champagne as previous reinstallations initially seemed to fix the problem too, but at least I am hopeful. Will report back in a few days. ;)

5. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Yep, no difference I'm afraid.

6. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Ok, did some more testing this morning and the problem is definately related to how you login to XP.

The NOD32 icon often does not appear in the system tray if Autologin is enabled.

The interesting thing is that if you disable Autologin but use TweakUI from PowerToys (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) to input username and password for you the problem still occurs, no difference.

Conclusion: On some systems it's necessary to manually login to XP otherwise the NOD32 icon wont appear in the system tray.

This problem did not exist before 2.50.25

7. beethoven

After a few days with normal operation and some reboots I am happy to report back that at present the icon is appearing nicely and without further prompting by me.
    It appears that the log-on may have the beneficial "slow-down" effect as mentioned by bandicoot. :D

8. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Oh don't do that (give him praise) his head will swell :eek: ;) :D :ninja:

:D :D :D

10. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Yep, have found the same here.

A shame, coz most clients running NOD32 prefer their XP systems to auto-login.

11. Blackspear

I am yet to see it, and we set up a lot of systems, and all are auto-login.

Cheers :D

12. beethoven

Is it possible that you install NOD pretty much as one of the first pieces of software to run ? I am wondering because I notice the sequence of programs appearing on the two pc running Nod is different. While on my own PC that has been running Nod for longer, Nod also seems to appear as one of the first programs prior to RegD and PG loading (which were installed later). On the other PC which already had these progs installed, NOD or at least the icon appears later? Maybe this in conjunction with the log-on delay has some effect?

13. Blackspear

It is the first piece of software that we load, straight after installing Windows, and before we update Windows.

Cheers :D

14. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

This issue may be a new occurence for NOD32, but I have observed it many times with many applications since the original release of XP in 2002 - previously I'd put it down to an issue with Windows losing track of the tray icons on systems with minimum amounts of RAM (128MB or less) - thinking XP must be paging them out during loading the desktop (even if it didn't really need to) and then forgetting about them (they still run just you can't see them).....

Interesting - at least now I know how to resolve it :)

15. Mover

Mover Guest

Add me to the list of those having problems. I just installed the 2.50.41 version about a week ago. The icons I used to show in the systray were,1) MS antispyware, 2) volume, 3) dell support 4) zonealarm and 5) processguard.

I have lost the MS antispyware, volume, and CC(control center) icons from the systray although these apps seem to be working fine according to Windows Task Mgr.

Shutting down and restarting explorer.exe via Windows Task Mgr brings back the volume icon.

C\ProgramFiles\Eset\CC brings back the CC icon.

I can't get back the MS Antispy icon although the app is running.

Heres the strange part, I did a RESTORE on my system (using XP). The day I picked to restore to was one day after installing NOD32. When it came time for the system to boot up, ALL icons showed properly BUT the taskbar showing had the regular XP theme (mostly dark blue) where as I've been using the Windows classic theme for 6-7 months ... go figure.

I still have the problem, but I'm looking into having a more controlled startup
    of pgms instead of having them all bombard Windows at once.

16. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Anyone have other suggestions to get around the the missing icon problem other than using a password to slow things down ? Could it have something to do with the kernel starting up ?

I noticed the nod32kui.exe has a /WAITSERVICE at startup. What exactly does this parm do ?

17. wattsvilleblues

wattsvilleblues Registered Member

Try manually sticking a shortcut to NOD32 into the Startup folder in the Programs menu in the Start menu. Pretty basic, but it worked when I had the same issue with Symantec AV in the past...

18. Mover

Mover Registered Member

What is going on ? When clicking on 'hide inactive icons' and 'customize' I get this. That Spydoctor icon isn't right.... it belongs to Dell Support !!!

Attached Files:

19. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Had another customer with this problem, running NOD32 on his Dell XP laptop, called me yesterday to report the missing system tray icon. It seemed to just disappear one day.

I directed him to download the test file at eicar.com. It didnt download but the NOD32 warning screen didnt pop up, so I'm not 100% if he was still protected at the time.

Anyway I fixed it by guiding him through a re-installation of NOD32. Will see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.