New Drive Won't Boot After Disk Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sschmidt, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sschmidt

sschmidt Registered Member

Hello

I'm using Acronis 9.0 with all the latest drivers and have done a chkdsk /r before attempting the drive clone. The drive clone seemed to work ok but after placing the drive into my laptop it won't boot. Doesn't even read the HD. Put my old drive back in and it works fine. I am using windows xp home and was using your product via my laptop and a USB laptop drive in a enclosure. The new drive is set as master within the USB enclosure so I just moved it over and it should have worked, any ideas on what could be happening?

2. sschmidt

sschmidt Registered Member

Laptop Won't boot after disk clone

Hello

I'm using Acronis 9.0 with all the latest drivers and have done a chkdsk /r before attempting the drive clone. The drive clone seemed to work ok but after placing the drive into my laptop it won't boot. Doesn't even read the HD. Put my old drive back in and it works fine. I am using windows xp home and was using your product via my laptop and a USB laptop drive in a enclosure. The new drive is set as master within the USB enclosure so I just moved it over and it should have worked, any ideas on what could be happening?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Laptop Won't boot after disk clone

Hello sschmidt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. jbjsm

jbjsm Registered Member

I've had exactly the same problem trying to clone my laptop hardrive to a new larger hardrive in an external USB enclosure. After using TI 9 and completing the clone, I swapped drives. The laptop would not boot with the cloned drive. Switching back to the old HD cures the problem and I can see and manipulate the cloned image on the new drive in the USB enclosure, but it won't boot in the laptop. Was there a resolution to sschmidt's problem?
    Thanks, jbjsm

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jbjsm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether your BIOS supports booting from USB drives? Please go over the BIOS settings and enable this option if it was disabled earlier.

Please also try to perform the Windows system preparation before the cloning and see if the problem remains. If it does remain then please collect all the information and submit a request to us as it was suggeted by Tatyana in her previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.