New Avira SS 9 Beta Is Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Could you elaborate more about this?

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

they said on the official Beta forum that HIPS will be a separate beta and will be integrated in v10.
    Spyware protection in the free version? That seems sweet... and also dreadful for their free competitors. :ninja: :D

3. progress

progress Guest

Avira Personal 9 with spyware protection? Hey :-*

4. gery

gery Registered Member

you are not just kiddin' folks
    This might smack down all its paid for competitors and i think it will be way too sweet on their side.
    let us wait and see what happens then:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Avira including Spyware protection free can only be good news for everyone.Competitors will be forced to look at their pricing structures.;)

6. subset

subset Registered Member

Well,

we will see if its true, but chip.de says the new version will be available on 3rd of March, which is the day when the CeBit starts.

Cheers

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I can't believe this latest beta build. This thing is so fast...even with Avira's firewall installed! I was all set to run without a resident AV and just go with DefenseWall but Avira 9 is so light there is no need to cut back.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would say it is now the cream of the crop for suites.:thumb:

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I thing id like to c them improve is the FW n am not talkin about leaktests!

Heres what id like to c, the speed of FW popups should be improved - sometimes ill have to wait for a minut, sometimes even for more then a day before the FW popups and wants permission for a program. So right now i cant really depend on the FW to check outbound n such.

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have seen that also. If that doesn't improve before it is out of beta, I'll use OA or Comodo until DW gets outbound control.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I did some testing with OA beta 3.1 free, Avira beta 9 (only AV) and DW: sound and easy to use, crunched everything I threw at it (and the new heuristics really amazed me with high detection rates)

I even set Avriar to check only at write, with heuristics high: so only new arrivals are checked out.

I had set OA to not warn me an untrused program starts (is kept in LUA anyway and OA will warn for intrusions). When you check programs, startup entries, browser extensions etc, they appear as a grey-line, so you can check afterwards (DW will stop malware anyway). The new detect hidden processes of OA works well.

Both beta's OA and Avira are a lot faster

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

One thing I have noticed is that if I disable the webguard the firewall popups come through much faster for meo_O :eek: :) . I don't know if you use the guard but I rather like the extra protection so I keep it on board here...:cool:

13. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Great combination...hard to imagine anything getting past it! I had tried the latest OA beta paid version and had some slowdowns and other issues with both OA and DW running (I sent logs to Tall Emu). I'll give the free version a try as it runs a lot lighter in my experience.

14. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I'm testing the beta. The Avira umbrella icon in the systray shows up as closed, but the status of the Gurad, web guard and firewall is enabled. Is this expected? In Avira 8 free which I was using, the umbrella would be open.

15. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Are you using the latest beta? If so, probably best to post at Avira's forum so it can be sorted out. I had some similar problems with the previous version but are no longer an issue with the current beta.

16. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Does anyone experienced a bit of lag when applying changes in the Configuration section? And by lag, I mean after clicking on the Apply button all the text will disappear for about ~0.5 seconds, then they'll come back.

17. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Yes. :shifty:

18. aniku

aniku Registered Member

i thought some guys here said the new version9 will be released 3rd of March?

will it be released today soon ?

19. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

no. still no anouncement from avira. avira is saying march. was just chip.de anouncing the 3.

20. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Will the new release update the beta we are running or will we need to remove this beta and dowload the full version.

21. Leo2005

you have to remove the beta. it won't be the same version.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Will AVIRA 9 Free be launched at the same time as paid version or later?

23. Leo2005

same release date for all version. could be that the internatiobnal versions except english are not released the same time.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If free version is really getting spyware detection i might reconsider AVIRA as an option for my PC's :)

25. progress

progress Guest

RejZoR without Avast? :eek: I can't believe this ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.