new avastPro! user inquiries..etc

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dundertaker, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Just started using avastPro! in my Windows 7 x86 pc and I saw a "process virtualization". I understand that it is a "sandbox" but I would like to ask you gurus about it's difference to SBIE paid, say, in:

a) sandboxing browsers
    b) running applications

Can you run a browser and an application say, Notepad++ at the same time in "process virtualization"? Is this like SBIE with it's own sandbox to a browser or program?

Pardon for the questions. I'm really new to avast ver5. Cannot remember how I set it up last 2007(free version 4.XX)...

Also, would like to ask for settings that you guys have for it to let it play nicely with Prevx/OP Pro/Malwarebytes if you have used all or one in combination with Avast Pro...

Is there anything I can set in Web Shield or do something...I noticed a slight slowdown during browsing(with default settings)...maybe a tip or two...

I hear that the default settings are good enough (now on default). If I have the need to add a little punch to the settings what maybe possible adjustments to do?

How can I save my configuration settings and launch it again when the need arises?

About a custom install, currently I have installed all components but when I feel the need to uninstall a component say, Mail Shield, how can I do that? What happens to the settings I made?

I tried Control Panel>Uninstall/Change but it was asking to connect to the internet.....did not encounter this when I was with Antivir...

Please bear with me as I do really need to understand the program and not just leave it and let it be. I don't do that. I need to understand it better in order to like it the reason I ask a lot of questions/ideas/help.

Thank you very much and regards to all!:)

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm not particularly a Fan of virtulization, for instance each time I virtulize Internet exploer, I'm told I need an upgrade to Adobe flash Player, but can never get it to install, turning off virtulization fixes the bug

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't answer all your questions but I just upgraded to Avast! Pro and am using the virtualization. Just go to the user interface and click Real Time Shields. Then click the Process Virtualization tab and activate it. When you want to use it on your browser for instance, right click the browser icon and see the 2 options near the top of the list: Run Virtualized or always run sandboxed. Click Run virtualized if you just want it virtualized for the current session, or click Always run Sandboxed if you want it sandboxed every time you open your browser. I run Firefox the first way and my default browser Chrome, the second way. It's great.
    Avast Pro runs well along side of MBAM, and SAS, and my firewall. no conflicts. To play with the Mail Shield for instance just click on the Mail Shield and see where you can turn it on and off.
    It looks like you haven't looked at the Help Center located at the top of the main page. If you read through that it will answer all your questions. :)

4. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Well started playing around AvastPro now. Using "Program Virtualization' on Google Chrome/SRWare Iron..loads faster than SBIE but am also not sure how safe you are in it. Heard that it's sandbox does not use "Drop My Rights' as in SBIE. Are there any comparisons around for AavstPro's sandbox and SBIE? Want to learn more of it....

Checked the 'Help Center' few days ago but some of the things that are there are in 'general' form. Was looking for user experience advice or something that an avastPro user has encountered.

Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.