New av-comparatives.org test 8-2004!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Registered Member

Firefox and Mozilla do not execute ActiveX nor vbscript controls which are native to IE. ActiveX can be turned off in ie if desired. I believe there is a plugin for Firefox to excute vbscript, but not ActiveX. Supposedly theres a beta being worked on for Mozilla.

2. Polly

Polly Guest

Well.. if activeX can be turned of in IE. Why are many people here choosing for other antivirus scanners than mcafee. Most prefer nod32 or KAV. In the tests I have seen norton scores well too. Not many norton users here.............

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

McAfee relies on Active X to update the virus definition file. As for other AVs, it's a matter of personal preferences. NOD32 requires very little CPU clock time to operate. KAV and McAfee excel at detecting bugs. Other AVs are somewhere in between these extremes. A best AV is one that gets along with your other programs, puts a minimum load on your PC, has a robust virus update program, and is cheap. I'd start with Avast Home (free), then Computer Associates (free 1year promo), then Panda (free 1 year promo), then McAfee ($15 promo), and finally Command AV.

4. Polly

Polly Guest

Is activeX also used in spybot S&D?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi nod32_9,

Compatibility is something that is difficult to test for but all important since if it doesn't run, it ain't no good. :rolleyes:

To underscore this point, today I tried loading Pandasoftware's Titanium and my system hung on restart. What's more, when I tried to get back into the system in Safe Mode, the desktop wouldn't appear. I sort of started to sweat a bit, but somehow maintained my presence, got into task manager and just started hitting buttons until the desktop appeared. One the desktop appeared, I removed Panda as fast as I could.

Clearly, this is just a case of my computer configuration and Panda not matching, and that is how it is sometimes. Had the same experiences with Kapersky and an earlier version of McAffee, thought the lastest version may be O.K. One never knows until one tries. But after the Panda experience, I think I will wait a few days (or weeks) before trying McAfee. :)

Rich

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah got similar experience with Panda 7 (Free one). After first reboot everything locked up. But i restarted and then somehow managed to enable it. It worked ok after that,but it was using a bit too much memory and firewall left some ports unstealthed... Otherwise looks very nice.

McAfee...
    I also don't know why they have to add that stupid Security Center to all McAfee products!? Its stupid and just another icon in already full traybar.
    I remember the times when i was using McAfee 4.x Just plain good AV,no crap. And McAfee Personal Firewall 5 Plus was also without it.
    Now McAfee Personal Firewall is almost the same as one above,but it has that center stuff. Yuck :mad:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Did you have another AV installed at the same time?

Some AV's doesn't work, or work well, if you have another AV or AV's installed...

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Richrf, if you are trying to have both NAV and Panda on your system at the same time that is a no-no. NAV even states during the installation to remove all other scanners from your system. If you want the security of a second scanner I suggest using one of the online scanners such as Trendmicro or Panda.

Acadia

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I agree with RejZoR that McAfee use to be a very nicely done virus scan program which was overly embelished and as a result became a pain to use. I guess there was business reasons to do it this way, but it didn't work for me.

As far as Panda goes, I had NOD32 but the online scanner was disabled. This could have been the cause of the problems in regular Startup mode but what really made me sweat was when I couldn't get my desktop to display in SafeMode. I have no idea what could have happened, but somehow I was able to wake it up and display when I got Task Manager up and going. After that, I was able to unload Panda and everything was back to normal again. It is a nice program but a little bit scarey for me.

BTW, does anyone know how to change the startup order of tasks so I can get NAV to startup early again? It is the last one to startup.

Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Rich

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't think you can permanently save the startup order with WXP but I'm sure others will chime in if I'm wrong. You can go to Windows\Prefetch and delete all items. Reboot. This may help with the startup.

Panda is a little slow when compared to NOD, Avast, and McAfee. McAfee 7 is at the top of my pay AV. Avast Home is not too far behind in the FREEWARE department. Zone Alarm 5.x Suite has the CA AV engine. Once ZA works out most of the bugs in 5.x, then I would rate this package as a best buy.

12. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I can confirm that Panda (Platinum 7 free) does not like sharing a computer with other AVs. At least on mine it doesn't. I've tried a couple of times to run another AV with Panda Platinum installed and it's RTM disabled, but everything frooze. Thank goodness for "GoBack". LOL.

But that's ok, because I haven't found any AV I like better than Panda Platinum 7. It works nice on my computer and it does its job. I'm happy to see that it scored so well in the AV Comparative test.

13. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I don't know about setting up an order (everything I read said it's not possible) but in this msg from a diff thread there's something called Startup Delayer that you could probably use to set up an order, based on delaying items different lengths of time.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=247705&postcount=23

Note: I have not used this myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.