New Antivirus Test Report By VIRUS.GR

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tec505, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm....Nicely spotted there. :)

I'll notify the tester about it. ;)

Yes, originally it was written as "AVG Anti-Malware Professional". It was changed later after I notified him (the tester) about it. Frankly, I'm not surprised with the test result, given the sample sets used. :)

Would be right, yes, but it is very difficult in the end to test thousands of samples individually in a sandbox. Besides, only a person well acquainted in the security field can determine malware from a clean file. This becomes difficult especially in cases where certain harmless tools are detected by trojans by certain AVs, etc. :)

There is more I want to say on this topic but I'll send you a PM later about this. ;)

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'snt Winantivirus a rogue app ? Rogue Remover lists it as such. They list it as Winantivirus 2006 + Winantivirus 2007. Is it the same app ? It's not tested here but listed under anti virus websites on the same website with the test's.

Attached Files:

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

4. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

What s about CyberScrub version 1.0 AV?
    According these tests it have good detection, anyone knows something about it?

5. Firecat

Based on KAV 4.5 Lite edition, has no extended database. For $49.95 you get a 5 year license. It is an outdated product by today's standards with doubts about whether it will be upgraded to support Vista, so at this moment I cannot recommend it.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This site and its results does not worth reading . They are not legitimate . Have no idea why are you discussing them at all o_O

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Well, it IS a test that has been around for some time - even longer than AV-Comparatives, IIRC. Even if it's history is the sole factor, that's still enough to warrant some interest. And while the results are not quite in the league of AV-Test and AV-Comparatives in terms of professionability, they're still the honest work of a well-meaning tester who's been at it for some time, for better or for worse.

8. Durad

Durad Registered Member

av-test.org did not come across this problem? :eek:

;)

9. btman

btman Registered Member

Kaspersky's latest beta with heuristics (I think) has .1% more detection? Err...

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Durad, av-test and av-comparatives were told the registry key that fixed the problem.

btman, keep in mind that virus.gr uses Kaspersky as the reference scanner. Nothing is malware, unless KAV reports it or it comes from a VX source. ;-) So every malware in this test is detected by KAV signatures and the heuristic has nothing much to do.

11. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

If this is the case, then I am confused how KAV didn't detect 100%, how come they only get 99% in the test if their AV establishes the test set? Secondly, it would seem a bit unfair, the possibility would exist for KAV to have a false positive that would benefit it and count against the other products. Third, such an approach diminishes the test in my view from an accurate test of AV's to a marketing scheme to sell KAV. Fourth, an AV with a heuristic detection that KAV missed wouldn't be counted because KAV doesn't say it is a virus. Didn't someone else in the thread say this test was not reliable, seems to me it is not. Seems like KAV would have a HUGE advantage given the rules you mentioned at least anyway.

12. Firecat

From what I know KAV is not *THE* reference scanner. I believe VirusP also uses F-Prot, BitDefender and a few others as the reference scanners. I have some of his scan logs (its published on his website anyway), and the logs were made using several scanners, not just KAV....

Still, I'll let you know if there is anything else I can find out about this.

13. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Kaspersky is the leader about detection rate, however (as virus.gr statement):

What is interesting here is that if a file isn't detected by Kaspersky, F-Prot, Nod32, Dr.Web, BitDefender and McAfee (at least ONE of these!) then it isn't a malware. Well, that's a bit strange, lot of malware isn't detected by these antiviruses, and even if only ONE of these detect a malware then it could be clearly a false positive.

In other words: o_O

14. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Well if Virus.gr say that there is 20000 files that nobody detect at the moment what would you think? ;)

15. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Avira included:

8. Ashampoo version 1.30 - 95.80%

9. AntiVir version 7.03.01.53 Classic - 95.08%

Strange.
    Ashampoo better than Antivir?

16. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I think it s because was tested AntiVir classic not premium edition, as I know Classic version can t detect adwares and spywares...

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

here is my take. Avira will currently blow all AVs out of the water when it comes to detection. FPs are still a slight issue but are being worked on. If true testers do it right, then you will see them at or near the top. That is just the way it is, "right now", and tells you a lot about the tester and their ability to do something accurate or from the wallet.

18. Firecat

Yes ;)

VirusP's samples contain some amount of adware and spyware. Due to AntiVir Classic not detecting these, AntiVir is rated below Ashampoo. :)

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hey firecat, why was drweb less than 1% below norton, what the hell happened to norton?

any ideas?

20. Firecat

Not yet, I am still trying to find out.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't really believe that anything happened to norton I think what has happened is a questionable test site.:thumbd:

22. FRug

FRug Registered Member

I think the difference between Ashampoo and Avira is due to slightly different versions, since Ashampoo is AFAIK not including ADSPY detection either and has a few other malware categories disabled. It could also be due to different configuration settings.
    I guess AntiVir Premium/Pro would more likely be in the 98-99 detection range.

23. Firecat

No, Ashampoo includes ADSPY detection. At least the Ashampoo AV help file says so. ;)

24. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Firecat, are you sure they mentioned "ADSPY/" detection support? AFAIK they don't use the adware/spyware detection of Avira but their own. I agree with Frug, Avira Premium would most likely be in the 98-99% range.

25. Firecat

No, they did not use the word "ADSPY". But the help file has a field which says "Ashampoo Antivirus protects against:" and there are many malware types listed there, and Adware and Spyware were also mentioned there. :doubt:

Also, Ashampoo support told me something similar: When I asked them about whether Ashampoo AV detects spyware, I was given this answer (name of Ashampoo representative not given for privacy purposes):

How this is to be interpreted I do not know, but I did see the words "Adware" and "Spyware" mentioned in Ashampoo's help file. Ashampoo AS is based on A-Squared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.