New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just bought a license for EXE Radar Pro (ERP). Less than $20 for a lifetime license for a rapidly improving security app -- I couldn't resist.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bummers! The install of ERP crashed. I did a repair. Crashed again. I uninstalled & re-installed. Crashed again.

ScrHunt02 27-Jun-11.gif
    ScrHunt03 27-Jun-11.gif

Worse yet, every time I do an install I have to enter the activation code and then a password & then repeat the password. To do a re-install I have to enter activation code, old PR, new PW, renter new PW. (Good grief, this is a $20 bit of software, not the crown jewels of England! :p )

I am contacting No Virus Thanks to request a refund. Wish me luck. :(
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In just a few hours after I sent my refund request, No Virus Thanks refunded me. A reliable outfit! I cannot fathom why their program disliked my computer. I do intend to try this program again in the next several months - when it reaches version 2, perhaps.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. bellgamin

Version 1.3 of EXE Radar PRO (ERP) runs perfectly on my computer! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MY INITIAL OPINIONS based on ~2-hours of usage

Positive
    +Incredibly light
    +Pop-ups are now visible even if you set font to 120DPI (weak eyesight setting)
    +Pop-ups can readily be held to a minimum by means of several optional settings
    +Super clear & thorough Help file (except as noted below). BONUS: The Help File offers suggestions as to which settings might be best for "Beginners" & for "Experts"!
    +Plays very nicely with my other security apps.
    +Offers gaming setting
    +Has good tools for "housekeeping" of the whitelist & blacklist
    +Is more than a simplistic anti-executable because it has a built-in Behavior Blocker (can be turned on/off).
    +Excellent GUI. Use is intuitive & easy.

Areas needing improvement
    +Help File gives no guidance for the GUI's "Advanced" tab
    +I couldn't find a way to view my license information
    +I hope they get rid of the "Old Password" "New Password" requirements during activation. Other security apps that need activation are able to do the job without using passwords.

Wish List
    +I wish they would tell us more about the scope & power of ERP's Behavior Blocker. Does it cover about the same scope as Mamutu? About the same as Threatfire? (I would like this information in order to decide whether or not to turn off the HIPS component of my firewall.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My questions for Wilders folks who are using ERP:
    +Do you know of a good Proof-Of-Concept (POC) test for ERP (especially for its Behavior Blocker)?
    +Do you consider it reasonable to test ERP against SpyShelter's keylogging/system-protection tests?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I had removed ERP but decided to try v1.3
    Smooth install, no need to enter my license info as ERP had remembered this and all my settings. :thumb:
    Running well with my other security apps.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

ERP is running smooth here. No conflict with Zemana Antilogger, MBAM Pro and Trent Titanium IS, No Autorun.

5. bellgamin

Do me a favor. Open the GUI then open the Processes tab then open the Whitelist tab then re-open the Processes tab. Check your Task Manager. Anything unusual about EXE Radar Pro (ERP)?

On my box (I run XP) ERP gets very active when I do the above named actions.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

where can i download this program to try it

7. LoneWolf

bellgamin, I tried this (Xp here also) and ERP was as quite as a mouse.

8. LoneWolf

No trial available that I can tell, don't know whats taking so long to offer one.

9. bellgamin

They do not have a free trial version. :p

They will, however, readily provide you with an activation code. Email to . . .
    support at novirusthanks dot org

In the email, tell them you're a Wilders member, ask for a trial activation code, & also ask for a download link for version 1.3.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

THANKS ALOT:thumb:

11. bellgamin

Thanks for the response!

I am at a loss as to why ERP is unhappy on my computer. On the image where I am running ERP, my only other real-time security apps are Private Firewall (PFW) & Norton AV 2011 (NAV). I temporarily uninstalled PFW but ERP still began gobbling cpu cycles after a while. (It acts like it goes into a loop.)

Perhaps ERP doesn't get along with NAV. However uninstalling NAV is a bit of a pain so I will wait for a quiet day to try that.

12. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

Hi,
    I tried out this program "ERP". I like it. I disabled SRP while using it. Still thinking about what I want to do. I have been using the following software in my sig for over 2 years. Always trying different software. There was no trial so I just bought ERP. But sorry to say I want a refund. I might even buy it again one day.

Did not see any problems it blocked all the .exe and .com executables.
    But still thinking deep on how I want to protect my system.

I guess I will see how good the support is on the refund.

TROY

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  13. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@bellgamin

Thanks for your feedbacks.

I could reproduce the problem(s) and it will be fixed in few days.

@Troy

Appricated you tried the program and wrote your feedbacks here, refund has been issued already :)

@LoneWolf

Yes, for trial activation codes send us an email at support(at)novirusthanks.org

If you have received the lifetime license when we offered them you can use that activation code.

14. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

Yes I got the refund. Great support! Thank You.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Same problem here. As NVT said it will be fixed soon...:argh:

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Bill, maybe ERP does not like SONAR!

Disable this component and see whether it has any effect on the running of ERP.

17. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I am impressed by the excellent support of this product!

Congratulations to team of ERP.

The next version has support for x64 systems?

18. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

indeed nice product; good support. I to need the x64 support for my main system

I testing in VM it seems to play nice with other products that I use

19. bellgamin

Yesterday NVT sent me a trial version of ERP with a fix. It now works grrrrreat. I am 95% ecstatic.

In order for me to become 100% ecstatic, I still want to know more about the scope of ERP's Process Behavior Analysis capability. Or... is it a secret? :ninja:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. A few weeks ago, when I first installed NAV, Private FW became very unstable. Got hung at times. Used gobs of CPU cycles at times. I repaired PFW. No improvement. Then I uninstalled & reinstalled PFW. Poof! the instability disappeared. Since then NAV & PFW are the best of friends. (Kiss kiss :-* )

NOTE: I notice that Outpost FW has a special provision for adjusting itself when NAV is installed, so that they can get along with each other. Interesting, wot?

20. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

:thumbd: I contacted them to try it out but have not heard back from them yet. I believe this type of security app is grossly overlooked and would love to see another quality contender in the anti-execute arena.

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Why not offer an open trial version? Open as in, not having to contact with them to have a trial version. I don't know... a 15-day or 30-day trial period, perhaps?

I would never buy any program without being able to test it for a decent period of time.

22. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Finally got a trial. :thumb: Thanks. I don't understand why its not available for download from the website though. :doubt:

23. bellgamin

I have a bit of a strange situation. At least, it's strange to me, because I am not anything close to being a computer "expert". I hope that someone here can tell me what is going on.

While running ERP I needed to use one of my Bible Reference Programs called "Bible Library". It's an old 16-bit program that I have had installed a long long time.

Bible Library's executable is "Biblecd5.exe".

Biblecd5.exe was NOT on ERP's Whitelist, so I assumed that I would get a pop-up from ERP when I ran this program. However, ERP did NOT give a pop-up. I checked ERP's whitelist, its blacklist, & its Event log. Biblecd5.exe was not listed on any of them.

I checked my 4 task managers (Windows Task Manager, Process Explorer, System Explorer, & Process Hacker) - Biblecd5.exe was not listed on any of them, either. Not as a Process. Not as a Service.

HOWEVER - even though System Explorer did not list Biblecd5.exe as a process or a service, it DID list its active screen (TPR Genesis 1:1) as a Task - - -

sysexp.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE 1: The HIPS component of Private FW did not alert to Biblecd5.exe either, even though the executable was unknown to Private FW.

NOTE 2: I disabled PFW's HIPS then loaded Spyshelter, which has its own HIPS component. It, too, did not alert to Biblecd5.exe even though it had never before been executed while Spyshelter was running.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did a bit of research. I found that, because Biblecd5.exe is a 16-bit program, it causes execution of ntvdm.exe, which is a Windows system32 file that enables 16-bit programs to run on 32-bit computers.

Even so, I am NOT happy that Biblecd5.exe/ntvdm.exe can run without being flagged by any of my security applications ( ERP, Norton AV, Spyshelter, Private FW). It seems to me that a malware could use the "16-bit gimmick" in order to get past security apps.

Any & all comments will be very much appreciated.

24. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Perhaps if you go to the Advanced tab and add ntvdm.exe to the list of blocked caller processes ERP would warn you of the 16-bit process loading. I agree that this should be monitored by default as it is still an exe running without any hindrance.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will check this out:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.