"New and changed files only" - Why not?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hamlet, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Hi. I have been using the latest KAV2006 beta for a few days and have a question. Actually, I suppose the question applies to any antivirus with this option.

Is there some reason why I would not want to use the option (in several places) to scan only new and changed files? Is there less protection this way?

KAV offers this and I don't know what other programs do. I have NOD on a laptop but cannot remember if it has the option only to scan new and changed files. If the protection is the same, this seems like a great time saver.

Thanks.

2. .....

..... Registered Member

If your system already has malware and not in KAV's AV bases and then is later added to the bases it will not be detected if this option.

Leave it enabled from realtime and disabled for manual scans (like default).

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

But it will - Every AV will check all files again once the defs are updated.

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Not with KAV 6 beta. A database of previously checked files is maintained. If the option to only scan new or changed files is selected, only the files not in this database (new) or changed from the database timestamp (changed) will be scanned.

As stated previously, the safest way is to maintain the default settings.

5. Brian N

If that's true, they dropped the ball right there.

6. .....

..... Registered Member

Of course on demand scans don't use this option by default (startup scans etc). It can also be disabled.
    I don't think its bad to be like this by default.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

1. The Real-time Monitor of several AV's including KAV 2006, VBA32 and Dr Web all have the possibility of scanning only new and changed files. In particular, SpIDerGuard of Dr Web in Smart-mode has for years only processed a restricted number of files. The main advantage of only processing new/changed files is on performance where there is very little effect of this setting. Hence very lightweight RTM's; ideal for the older computer or gamers.

However, there are drawbacks. It works fine until you miss a virus definitions database update, or turn the Running Guard off for some time, so the system gets infected.

Dr Web users were encouraged to carry out Regular on-demand scanning to cover this drawback and most users reported no problems with this setting. An excellent balance between performance and protection.

Further, in the new version of Dr Web, this potential disadvantage has been covered by the Enhanced protection mode of SpIDerGuard where any object not scanned is sent to a background scanning engine.

I use Smart-mode with SpIDerGuard of Dr Web and the "process only new file" settings with the RTM of VBA32 but supplement these settings with regular on-demand all-file scans. So far so good.

If installed on a clean system, with regular on-demand scans on full settings then this is a good balance between protection and performance. But I would not recommend this setting for everybody, particularly newbies.

2. Again with just on-demand scanning I would still carry out regular all-file checking.

Overall, the new and changed file setting is a good choice in the RTM of AV's, if the drawbacks are known and if supplemented by regular full on-demand scanning. But even with on-demand scanning, all-file scanning is important to cover any holes in the RTM.

8. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Interesting info. I have gone back and looked at the settings in the newest beta of KAV. It looks like scanning of new and changed files is the default setting on what they call "file anti-virus." I think this is the part of the system which checks files upon access.

All of the other scan settings (scan, scan critical areas, scan my computer, startup scan) default to checking all files, not just the new or changed ones. It seems like this jives with what is a good setup according to the information given by other posters above.

In the beta KAV 2006, it looks like only the startup scan has the option to be run after every update.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I guess this comes under the heading of different strokes....

One of the biggest appeals to me of the new Kaspersky AV beta's is that I can do a full scan with only the new and changed files.

Based on a number of factors I know my machine is clean. I run several HIPS so one could almost debate the need for AV. Since KAV updates every hour I updated prior to running the first full scan. Very low odds of something being on my machine that is so new KAV missed it. But the time difference is very significant.

The full scan on my system took almost 1.5 hours. Subsequent scans take about 4 minutes. Given that what I've done is I turn off the startup scan, and just run a full scan just prior to shutdown. THis works well for me, because of the HIPS protection.

Just another approach.

Pete

10. Brian N

Well NOD has this option too for it's on-access scanner, but it will re-scan all those files when the defs has been updated.
    I really can't see any good reason why an AV should ignore already scanned files just because they haven't changed..
    Who knows what nasties could be hiding in those files?

11. .....

..... Registered Member

For speed reasons.

Of course the malware will be detected in an on demand/ startup scan providing the signitures are present. These are the default settings.

12. Peter2150

If Files x y and z are clean today, and fine, and tomorrow a new nasty is set loose, and the defs are updated fine. But if the file hasn't changed how could be infected??

13. dog

dog Guest

The point is those files x y z could already be infected, but weren't detected at that time with the current DB ... Detection for this malware is then added at a later date ... etc.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can't get rid of the constantly increasing scan time or better the total scan time of your scanners. :)

15. Peter2150

Hi Dog

That doesn't make sense. Point is the files are known clean. They are scanned with KAV's latest data base which has all the current badies and are confirmed clean and entered into the database. I don't care if a thousand new badies are discovered, if those files didn't change how can they not be cleano_O

Pete

PS Yes if you aren't sure your system is clean then you might have a valid point.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Suppose file abc.exe is infected with an undiscovered virus X.
    Your scanner won't find virus X and won't report abc.exe as an infected file.
    Two days later the definition-database gets an updating of virus X.
    The file abc.exe is still the same and if you don't scan it, it still would be infected.
    If you scan it, abc.exe will be reported as an infected file.
    So dog is right IMO.

17. Peter2150

You guys are missing the point with your supposes.

Example. I just installed a program called NaturallySpeaking by Scansoft. Installed it from CD. Hundreds of files. Now how likely is it they are infected. AFter install I run a quick scan update, and they are now in KAV's database. As long as they don't change I see no need to keep constantly rescanning them.

What you are in essence saying, is that even though I am confident based on a whole bunch of evidence that my machine is clean, I should suppose every file could be infected, and that just maybe next year KAV might discover a nasty, and that nasty could, just could be in one of my files and thats why I should scan and rescan everything. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Pete

18. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I agree, sounds like nit picking to me, when really it is a matter of choice by the user how to scan with AV.

Suppose a frog had wings..... He would not bump his butt when he jumped.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If the frog makes the wrong choice he ends up on a menu or at least his legs do. :D

20. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

"IF", the biggest word in the dictionary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.