Networking two computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by delve, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delve

delve Registered Member

I have a Windows XP computer and a Windows 98 computer that are connected peer to peer via eithernet. I had them sharing files fine in the past and the after I got a virus, I had to completely re-install the XP system. The Win 98 system is usually off. I've gotten everything back to normal except it says I may not have permission from the Win 98 computer to see it's shared folders. The small icon in the lower right bar shows a connection. But when selecting "show my connections" the Win 98 computer isn't there. When I select "show workgroups" I can see the Win 98 computer, but still can't see folders on it. On the Win 98 computer, I have set the C drive as a shared resource. The XP computer is running ZoneAlarm.
    Could I have denied permisson to a ZoneAlarm request and it's not giving me a chance to try again? Or is it something else that's not set correctly?
    I'd appreciate any help I can get because I have big files on the other computer I'd like to transfer to my XP computer. Thanks.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I suspect that what you need to do is enable NetBIOS on the XP machine. I know that if you are networking 2000 and XP machines with older ones, you need it. So check that first. Make sure that they are on the same subnet, and that they can ping each other. Let me know what you find.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.