netveda

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by S!x, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Tried out Kerio 4 on my other system a day back, what a nightmare, locked up the entire system, wont even let me load explorer, had to go to safe mode in remove it but wont let me do so, took a lot of coaxing and prodding and headaches to remove it, am going to stay far away from Kerio 4 for now till I hear some more favorable views.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the problems. It works fine here for the most part on a Win2k machine.

It may be years before you hear any more favorable views on it though.. :)

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's always nice when you get a response like that from a developer. Jetico is like that too. It's in sharp contrast to some of the other bigger players.. :)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

One of the reasons I would always stick to companies like these, also the fact that they are less popular makes them less prone to hacker's target.

By the way, another company which responds to personal mail for a free product is Softperfect, they have just released a new version of their firewall yesterday, at 960kb, this has to be the leanest firewall out there, time for a trial. What do you think Kerodo? Would be nice to hear your opinion in it too.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If I remember right, SoftPerfect doesn't have app control? I think I looked at their web site, but haven't really tried it yet... For firewalls without app control, I'm pretty much sold on CHX-I and 8Signs. CHX-I can't be beat, especially for free..

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes, no app control but truly a lean, mean firewall. Highly customizable, you can set your rules like Kerio 2.15

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CHX-I is the leanest of the lean... :) Granted, it takes a little work to understand it, but once you do, it's great. I guess I'll have to look at SoftPerfect too, just to be complete...

I used to lean towards these no app control firewalls, but lately I'm leaning toward app control again and perhaps more security for Windows. My project this weekend will be to dive into Tiny Pro 6.5 and see if I can make any sense of it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  8. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Arup, could you send me the minidump as well? Thanks.

vlk at avast dot com

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Hi Vlk,

Already sent out the mail.

10. One of the reasons I would always stick to companies like these, also the fact that they are less popular makes them less prone to hacker's target.

I had checked with diamonds pg demo.exe and it doesn't target the Netveda
    firewall....but it does target whatever other security app I am running.

Has anyone on a dial-up or on a non firewalled isp..or router ran the stealthe
    tests at PcFlank or grc...and checked the results.

Still is running great on my system.....it's passed everything I've tossed at it.
    Running normal...I get no alarms.

Just a couple minor wish list things...The ability to have it boot ..block all.
    and to be able to kill apps or services......I'm pretty sure Outpost can do that
    if I remember correctily.

It is the only FW that I've used so far....That with my very limited FW knowledge... that does what I want it to, and in a very short time.

I think I got me a keeper here.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

I found out today that my ISP is totally firewalled so installing another firewall is redundant, I ran my system without any firewalls and it passed all the stealth tests.

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Your ISP may filter traffic from outside networks but this would not protect your system from others on your ISP's subnet.

Regards,

CrazyM

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Crazy M,

Good point, the only problem now is how do I test my firewall, do I live with a false sense of security thinking my firewall is working and I am totally safe from attacks.

This ISP firewalling is new, without any announcment, they decided to implement this, I will run a firewall just to be safe.

14. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Ther is a lot that ISP's can do to improve security for everyone. I have not seen an emaill virus in a few years since my former and current ISP's started scanning the mail. My ISP blocks ports 135 and 445. There is some new technology that allows ISP's to identify bots (compromised machines) by the type of traffic they make.

15. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If there is someone you know and trust on the same ISP subnet get them to scan your system for you.

Do you see anything in your logs at all from systems on you ISP's network?

Regards,

CrazyM

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Sometimes I do recieve pings from my ISP, dont think that is normal.

17. Arup....If you showed stealthe using whatever FW...before your ISP provided
    a FW.....won't the same FW, still do the same thing?

My ISP has a firewall too....thats why I asked earlier..if anyone had tested
    on a dialup...and not behind a router, or ISP firewall

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes, but I have started using Jetico and NetVeda only recently and I have no idea when my revered ISP decided to raise up their firewall behind our backs, prior to using Jetico and others, I was a smugly happy man using Kerio+BZ and was quite happy in doing so.

I for one would rather have my own firewall than the ISP, this way, no one is under a false sense of security, furthermore remote firewalls can lead to lots of problems like port access etc. It is your question that got me pondering about ISP firewall so I decided to check out my system without one and there is the result.

19. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

ISPs tend to do that.

It's normal... perhaps blockable. Maybe it will stop your internet connection [time it out]... But I'm not sure... you need to try this out.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

no13, thanks, will try it out. I usually block them but dont get any connection problems.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Had a friend of mine on the same ISP ping me with firewall on and off and all his requests were timed out.

22. Thats why I liked when I was trialing Outpost...and now using Netveda...you can see all the goodies that happen when you first go online..I have prevx
    on my machine....not in use right now...but that tries to ET home..one of
    the many things my ISP hooks up to is shareholder.com...I've checked it out
    It seems legit...but I have it blocked for G.P.s, Mozilla was another one that
    would send out went I connected....Giant/MS antispy...etc.
    I've read that Zone Alarm seems to do the same thing.
    Now I'm sure... ahem... ahem....they are all gathering this information..out of the goodness of their hearts.. to help all mankind.
    But if I had my druthers....I'd druther not share that info.
    I have none of my apps...on auto updates.
    Thats why on my wish list for Netveda....to able to set it on block when I
    first boot up.....I'm always online.....thats when a alot of these apps..try
    to "call out"

23. Arup

Arup Guest

There is a feature in NetVeda to block particular sites, have you tried using that? I too would rather not share any info, I have seen as soon as I open Firefox it tries to connect to bbc.co.uk, doesnt happen with Opera.

24. no13

Mozilla was probably just checking for updates.

Happens when I've just started firefox. Probably same for mozilla?

25. no13

Firefox is probably trying to access any RSS feed bokmarks you have in your bookmarks, Arup.
    About site blocking... if you know the domain name, it is much more faster to use the hosts file [and better for someone who's going to trial many firewalls].
    IP blocking firewalls are also available [like the one from BlueTack whose name I forgot...]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.