NetVeda SafetyNet 3.61 = BSOD

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WaterWall, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaterWall

WaterWall Guest

I just tried NetVeda SafetyNet 3.61 (downloaded today) on Windows 2000 sp4.

After reboot and logon, it displayed a configuration screen. After setting some options, I launched Opera 8.5. I got some alerts regarding DNS and web access to which I selected "always allow". Then, boom! BSOD variety which I've never ever seen before: a device driver has corrupted the executive memory pool.

I'm trying Fileseclab next but am a bit concerned about reports of constant cpu usage I've seen in these forums.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Filseclab is a nice little rule based firewall. The cpu usage is the only real annoyance I found with it, but give it a try and see how it works on your machine. Here is used about 3-6% consistently, with spikes up to about 10%.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already tried NetVeda sometimes and never have a BSOD. It runs great...
    Like Kerodo said, Filseclab is nice, but the cpu usage isn't great and it doesn't stealth your inbound connection...

4. Arup

Arup Guest

V_C,

Filseclab fully stealthed my inbound connections, almost everyone else who tested it passed Shields Up with flying colors.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

VC, I have to say also that Filseclab stealthed me ok here. Not sure what your situation is however..

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you didn't change the rule #12, the tests on Sygate will fail, and on GRC the port 0 and 80 are closed instead of stealth, because this firewall didn't lead well with programs that use transparent proxies, like Ad Muncher, and the port 0 I don't know I...

Besides, I don't like the CPU usage of it, and since the program only be updated on June 2006...

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast webshield and mail scanner are transparent proxy and even when using them I had no stealth problems.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know, but the firewall should works with all the programs, like the others that I used...

9. Arup

Arup Guest

V_C,

Every firewall which has app control has issues,hard to find one that doesn't, the only ones that don't have any is simple packet filters like CHX and Ghost.:)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with, they are excellent :)

11. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

This does not surprise me. Sporadic BSODs were the main reason that I dumped NetVeda SafetyNet.

Phil

12. Arup

Arup Guest

NetVeda is long overdue for an update and so is Jetico.

13. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to this. Earlier this year I installed NetVeda Safety.Net on a pristine Windows 98SE system. So far, I have not seen any BSODs, so the problem I had in the past with NetVeda Safety.Net was probably due to a "dirty" system.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.