Netlimiters firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by eBBox, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi eBBox,
    I have installed this again to refresh my memory.

It is an Application firewall, I dont see any possiblity to set packet filter rules (example: To set rules to allow UDP but block TCP for an application).
    There are 3 Zones set as default, these can be edited, but I have not found a way to add a zone (example: Add a blocked IP zone).
    From the attached pic, you can see the basic rule setup. You will note, that there is a need to allow inbound from the internet, to allow the replys from such outbound as HTTP. This could be a problem for users who are directly connected to the Internet (example: Inbound connections)

Attached Files:

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are "filters" (or conditions) that can be added to the rules: Such as "time allowed for the access", "Ip`s for the connection" and "Ports used/available"

Attached Files:

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are checks on the Applications location that are attempting Internet access, so simple leaktest attempt was intercepted (Leaktest 1.2): I will have to go offline to check to see if application integrity is checked (and not just location)

Update:
    Only the location of the Application is checked, if the Application that is already allowed internet access is replaced or changed, then the firewall will not alert about this (there is no checksum/hash on the applications)

5. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Thx Stem :) :thumb:

I've tried it myself but couldent figure out how good it actually was and what it was "covering" :rolleyes:

So your conclusion would be that if you only run xp firewall and netlimiter it would be a okay replacement?

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi eBBox,
    You would require some additional inbound filtering. If you where behind a router, then I can see no serious problem using this firewall (apart from checksum/hash_ you could add, as example, SSM free to check on this). To replace the XP firewall, no, as I have not checked on the inbound filtering for Netlimiter.

Edit: I do not know if you can run both XP firewall and Netlimiter

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I am behind a router so this one is possible for me...but I need a resource friendly one. How is the ram useage and does it creep up after a few days?

All I really want is simple application outbound. With no hangups or high resource useage for an older machine.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi mercurie,
    My test PC went down (chipset fan), so I have had to re-install to check on mem usage.

Currently:
    NLClient_ between 4,000k and 18,000k (mem usage increases when the UI is active, but then drops back when closed
    nlsvc_ 2,908k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.