Need XP VGA driver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

My system is unable to find the basic VGA driver when i begin the new video card install, so i am unble to install the card drivers.............where do i get the missing generic drive and where do i put it ?

TIA

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the drivers should be available from the xp cd, but why do need it? just get the reference drivers for ur video chipset (nvidia, ati, etc)

3. Rainwalker

For the drivers to install i first need to load a generic driver.............reboot and then install the drivers that came with the card............per instructions...................this is the 4th card i have installed and have never had to instll anything put the card drivers/no generic VGA driver first .......i tried to simply install the card drivers from the CD but was unable to get them in.........Black-sd.....
    it might be i have a bad card....still working on this ......UGH !

4. WSFuser

what card is it btw? and is it a fresh OS install or no? also, i dont even use teh cd, i just download the latest version (even an occassional beta) from the gpu manufacturer site.

5. Rainwalker

evga 7800gt............i expanined my problem to a tech(ugh)and he said that sometimes after windows has been running on a machine for a year or more that windows can not find drivers and this and that.....and that the solution was to reinstall the OS........i kept a straight face while these words of wisdom were cast.............anywho....can i go to the install cd with the hope of windows asking me to fix problems.....have never done this...

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Generic driver? You don't need it, I did not. But you DO need to keep your motherboard drivers updated. Once you've done that, install the NVIDIA ForceWare drivers and thats it. :)

7. WSFuser

i would try a fresh OS install and then install the latest drivers for ur hardware like mobo drivers, video drivers, audio drivers, etc.

it can take time and at times user intervention (unless its an unattended install) but its worth it.

8. Rainwalker

Hello Firecat......i have never updated mobo drivers.......how do i do it..........now my mobo is Asus P5GD1-vm Intel 915G chipset ...w/P4 540 3.2Ghz LGA775 Socket...

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Rainwalker,

Please Download the latest version of Intel Matrix Storage Software for better hard drive management:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP Home Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!
    (Windows 2000/XP)

Also install the Intel chipset drivers available from Intel for greater stability and throughput between the various components of the chipset:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP Home Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!
    (Windows 2000/XP)

If you are using the onboard sound on the motherboard and not a separate soundcard, download the Realtek drivers for fixing possible bugs related with EAX and sound positioning in certain games:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Although I recommend that the current drivers be uninstalled before installing the new ones, I dont think anything bad should happen if you don't do so. :)

Also, I recommend that you do not look at the Asus site for driver updates. The Asus team is very slow at releasing new drivers, which is why I recommend that you regularly look at the sites mentioned above for software updates. :)

10. Rainwalker

Thank you Firecat.................what do i do with them?
    I had found these prior to asking you and was totally lost....i have no idea how to install.....i have download and since they are not .exe files all i see is code o_O

11. WSFuser

did u download the right file? they should be executables.

12. Rainwalker

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What I would probably do is to try installing the drivers for the card, when it asks to reboot shut down and install the card, then reboot and you'll be ready to go.

14. Rainwalker

Good idea Notok...........i'll remember it........the problem looks to be bad card memory........RMA'd it...

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Ah, that sucks.. it's too bad they don't have a better way to QA these things.

16. Rainwalker

yup.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.