Need to kill Internet Download Manager update nag

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Aug 10, 2016.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I keep getting nags to update Internet Download Manager but I don't want to at this time. Everything works and unless I need to update for some reason I'd rather just leave it alone. Tech support at ToneC just says it's one of those things a person has to live with. I tried the fix that's all over the web, here for example http://www.techgainer.com/disable-internet-download-manager-automatic-update-check/ but the nag persists. Would anyone have any other tricks up their sleeve? It doesn't auto update, it just nags every couple of days. Thanks.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

if that does no help, its only possible by hacking which is not allowed.

3. guest

guest Guest

IDM isn't a security software or Windows Update which may broke your system; there is no cons to update it. I do it every time and it never failed.

4. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

only those who use a cracked version don't want to update as it breaks their crack. There is no other logical reason that one may not want to update as every update brings bug fixes and support for the latest versions of browsers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. guest

guest Guest

exactly.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

while my time using IDA (v3/4/5) i only noticed some popups about a new version, but not the update itself.
    not all requests concerning this popup are based on a cracked version, sometime it was pretty annoying that IDM got every day or week an update because of minor bugs (wtf running fine here). that was the major reason here - and because IDM become bloated, other DLM are smaller and offer same. some only offer updates in parts not the whole setup. many reasons for me to change, first was Mass Downloader (which is not maintained any longer) and now IDAP.

to click off such popups some can use a script in background which reacts "if popup then click cancel"

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used IDM for many years, no problems, it´s very good. And I have suspected for a long time that the frequent updates are, at least in part, aimed to discourage the use of cracked versions.

8. Holysmoke

Holysmoke Registered Member

DownThemAll extension works good

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I used DAP Free to download files from SUSE Studio that failed in my browser. It got them downloaded with consistent speed.

So far I like it a lot.

10. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Brummelchen, I've got ClickOff.exe running in the background and now waiting for the popup so I can try it out, but wouldn't you know it now it hasn't shown up for a few days. Sometimes ClickOff works but not always; if it does that'll be a good workaround I suppose. :)

Btw, it's not true the only reason not to update a program is because it's cracked. I have an older system with many older programs that work fine and have no reason to update them. If I want to update I will, but not because some stupid nag keeps bothering me to.

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

DAP 10 has come a long way since I last used DAP. It looks very good.
    But, I really don't need a download manager.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  12. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

The main thing I like about IDM is that it gives me the ability to easily download any video I am streaming like YouTube videos and whatnot. Downloads are fast enough these days with or without a download manager although the latter can help by making multiple connections to the site and thus overcoming any speed limit that the server you are downloading might have.

13. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Maybe not. But for sites where download speeds stall, your browser download window won't show a successful download. On such occasions, a download accelerator like DAP can force a download to complete.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.